Front fan setup for Meshify C

Hello,

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler

EVGA 1060 6GB SC (Not purchased yet, but interested in this card)

Fractual Design Meshify C

I'm assembling a new build in the Meshify C, and looking to replace the front fan with two 140mm fans to increase the airflow. The Corsair ML140 PRO fans and the Noctuas (both normal and industrial versions) are my two choices at the moment. What fans would offer the best airflow performance with the least amount of noise, and would the single 120mm exhaust be sufficient for the build?

The single exhaust fan is more than enough, you also have passive ventilation in the rear and the top.  The front fans will help create positive pressure, so air will be pushed out through all those openings too. 

As for fan performance vs noise, between the choices you've mentioned I'd go with the Noctua fans.  They are known for build quality, something I can't say about most Corsair products I've worked with.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

id load up the front panel with 3x120mm fans, no roof fans and one rear i/o fan. since using an air HSF, this will provide flow to both the CPU and GPU (when installed).

i prefer any fan under 1000rpm (noise) and the most static pressure (to overcome air filter).

the corsair ml120, noctua nf-f12, fractal venturi hp12, or rosewill hyperborea 120 (quietest).

23 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The single exhaust fan is more than enough, you also have passive ventilation in the rear and the top.  The front fans will help create positive pressure, so air will be pushed out through all those openings too. 

As for fan performance vs noise, between the choices you've mentioned I'd go with the Noctua fans.  They are known for build quality, something I can't say about most Corsair products I've worked with.

Thanks, would you recommend the industrial versions of the Noctua fans? Other than looking better in the case, is there any significant advantage to these over the standard models?

22 minutes ago, airdeano said:

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

id load up the front panel with 3x120mm fans, no roof fans and one rear i/o fan. since using an air HSF, this will provide flow to both the CPU and GPU (when installed).

i prefer any fan under 1000rpm (noise) and the most static pressure (to overcome air filter).

the corsair ml120, noctua nf-f12, fractal venturi hp12, or rosewill hyperborea 120 (quietest).

Thanks for the response, I've read in a few places that the airflow through two 140mm fans is greater than that of three 120mm's, and the slightly lower cost of two 140mm's over the three 120mm's are leaning my decision towards them.

8 minutes ago, Corvus___ said:

Thanks, would you recommend the industrial versions of the Noctua fans? Other than looking better in the case, is there any significant advantage to these over the standard models?

I have 2 of the Noctua NF-F12 Industrial 2000rpm ones and love them. I am not currently using them but have up until about 3 weeks ago. They are top tier and you will love them. If you want some flash and flare, go with the ML120 Pros. Honestly cant go wrong with either. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'm not familiar with the industrial fans, so I too would have to look up what others are saying about that. 

As for your reply to Airdeano, the Meshify C comes with a single Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 fan in the front already.  If you can get hold of 2 more of those, that may be cheaper still.

I have an i7-5930K @ 4GHz and a 1080Ti, which is a significantly hotter setup than a Ryzen with a 1060.  I'm keeping it cool with three 140mm Fractal fans which are running at idle even when I'm gaming. 

Considering that the Meshify C obstructs airflow a lot less than my R5, I'd say that even a single extra 120mm fan will give ensure you have plenty of air going through that case.

in those few places do they mention how much louder the 2x140s are than 3x120 at same air flow?

the mesify with an open front grille will not muffle noise, so if that is a prerequisite might be a consideration.

If you want low noise, high rpm fans like ML's or iPPC's aren't recommended. Normal noctuas would be quieter at the same rpm and provide plenty of cooling. If you want the black aesthetic, that's what the Chromax line is for. 

The stock case fans are probably plenty already if you're just looking for sufficient airflow and fans that are fairly quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.