New Headset/Headphone

36 minutes ago, Leozyo said:

So what about the mayflower (mod) what do you think i'd be better of with. Version 1 or Version 3 (bass model) the bass model has other pads comparted to the version 1. I heard some1 say on youtube the shure 1540 pads make the sound very accurate. I dont know what the V3 pads will do with the imaging and accuracy..  What is your opinion on this?

Take the V1. I haven’t heard anything great about the V3. But I would still probably take the Argon mod.

21 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Take the V1. I haven’t heard anything great about the V3. But I would still probably take the Argon mod.

I just send Argon a message asking about the lead time. Might aswel wait the 5 weeks for it.. About the dac, is it really needed? I read that pc's already have a dac build in.

And read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

I own and would like to recommend the Audio technica M50x but I have recently tried the Senheiser HD 598SR which sounded better due to the open back design.

not to say I regret buying the M50x .

I don't know where you live but in germany the sennheiser are at around 110 bucks which is insanely cheap.
But they are still 170 bucks on amazon USA so meh.

9 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

I own and would like to recommend the Audio technica M50x but I have recently tried the Senheiser HD 598SR which sounded better due to the open back design.

I don't know where you live but in germany the sennheiser are at around 110 bucks which is insanely cheap.

1 hour ago, Leozyo said:

I just send Argon a message asking about the lead time. Might aswel wait the 5 weeks for it.. About the dac, is it really needed? I read that pc's already have a dac build in.

And read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

Everything that can play audio has a DAC. An external DAC is just an upgrade because it is far better.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:05 PM, Leozyo said:

Looks very good, thanks! All this information is slowly turning me into an audiophile haha. 

..."But I don't want to go among mad people," [ @Leozyo ] remarked. 
"Oh, you can't help that," said the [the forum]: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." 
"How do you know I'm mad?" said [ @Leozyo ]. 
"You must be," said the [ @Max_Settings ], "or you wouldn't have come here."

My Source: is here.

IMG_2612.JPG

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Thanks for pointing out that review but I gotta say that was harsh as hell :D
not to argue you definitely know better than me.

But yeah these are the first actuall decent headphones I bought and was only able to compare it to my old Razer Kraken headset which is just a bassy mess.

But after trying the Sennheiser pair I realized I made a mistake with buying :P
Like mentioned I don't hate them they are the best sounding headphones I used and definitely looking for an upgrade but only if the upgrade will bring a lot to the table .

5 hours ago, NewBieDavid said:

Just to let you know.

The fact that a headphone is open back or not does not make it sound better. The M50X's are such a violent headphone  that the laid back sound signature is what made the 598's sound better to you ( IMO ). Many closed back headphones are fantastic. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

13 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

Just to let you know.

The fact that a headphone is open back or not does not make it sound better. The M50X's are such a violent headphone  that the laid back sound signature is what made the 598's sound better to you ( IMO ). Many closed back headphones are fantastic. 

Yeah I just kept reading and seeing people saying open back has a better sound stage but I really don't know the reason behind it..
Thanks for the information tho :)

Just now, NewBieDavid said:

Yeah I just kept reading and seeing people saying open back has a better sound stage but I really don't know the reason behind it..
Thanks for the information tho :)

Yea the audio community is a mess sometimes, just take everything you read with a grain of salt unless the poster has a good reputation. Just do research, buy a headphone and run from the audio forum as fast as you can. Lol 

CPU  i7 6850k 

11 minutes ago, Leozyo said:

What do you think about the Audio-GD NFB11 compared to the schiiit stack?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

saw 2 youtube reviews on them:

And

If you want to go through the Audio-GD process, it is WAY better than the stack. But get the new R2R version.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm

30 minutes ago, Leozyo said:

Ahh yea i missed that, thanks! I will probaly go through it :)

Cool! Audio-GD makes incredible stuff, but I don’t usually reccomend it for people in the U.S. because it’s so hard to get.

6 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Cool! Audio-GD makes incredible stuff, but I don’t usually reccomend it for people in the U.S. because it’s so hard to get.

They look very promising indeed! And yea, understandable. I send them a message asking about shipping fee yesterday. Unless they're asking like € 100,- for shipping fee - which is unlikely - i will go through the progress. T50RP MK3 Argon version will take up to 5 - 8 weeks anyways.

Can't wait for all of it though :P

12 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

So heres the thing; theres an agent in The Netherlands which sells Audio-GD products. I will probaly buy my product from the original seller. Anyhow i wanted to check out what the products were on the dutch website.

So to my suprise on the dutch website the NFB-11 was more expensive than the R2R version (unlike the original retailer). So i decided to ask why, this is what i got as an anwser:

"Hallo Leo,

Dank voor je email en interesse in de NFB11.28 of de R2R11.

De NFB11.28 is iets duurder omdat de prijs van de Sabre ES9028 chip prijzig is en wij deze standaard uitleveren met de 100Mhz TCXO upgrade (optioneel bij Audio-GD)

De R2R11 is nieuwer (onlangs een software update gehad) inderdaad.

De R2R11 is geen vervanger voor de NFB11.28; het zijn twee apparaten met dezelfde functies maar verschillend karakter (en dac chip / geen dac chip)

Beide producten zijn op voorraad.

Ik hoop dat dit je vraag beantwoord en kijk uit naar je reactie

Groeten,
Jos"

I will try to translate the most important stuff:

The NFB-11.28 is more expensive because Sabre ES9028 chip is expensive which we deliver as a standard with the  100mhz TCXO upgrade which is optional at Audio-GD.

The R2R is newer but not a replacenent to the NFB-11.28. These are 2 different products with the same functions but a different character (a dac chip/ no dac chip).

-End of translation

Does this make any sense to you? Is this so called chip upgrade really that good or?

Dutch retailer: https://www.magnahifi.com/nl/webshop/category/audio-gd

Audio GD R2R is €360,- including shipment

Dutch retailer

NFB-11 is € 399,-

R2R is € 379,-

-

Edited by Leozyo
doublepost

On 4/14/2018 at 6:43 AM, Leozyo said:

I just noticed there's a lead time of 5 weeks on the Argons. That's a little bit unfortunate

I'm still leery of modding my stock gear (while it's under warranty). I'm intrigued by the Fostex planar cans... apparently, the modifications make them very worthwhile to use.

18 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

Yea the audio community is a mess sometimes, just take everything you read with a grain of salt unless the poster has a good reputation. Just do research, buy a headphone and run from the audio forum as fast as you can. Lol 

No! No! Don't run away. You WANT to tweak, twerk, and mess around with gear. The perfect sound is OUT THERE. @Slickrr13 , the same mindset is also in the SCUBA diving gear community. When I'm on the boats, everybody has their perfect rig. I love it.

13 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I've looked at the Audio-GD site. My knee-jerk reaction's, pshhhh... made in the PRC. Only arrogance on my part assumes non-European manufacturers can't make premium electronics. Wrong.  Audio-GD are assembled by craftsmen & craftswomen.  I think even @SSL commented on it.

2 minutes ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I'm still leery of modding my stock gear (while it's under warranty). I'm intrigued by the Fostex planar cans... apparently, the modifications make them very worthwhile to use.

No! No! Don't run away. You WANT to tweak, twerk, and mess around with gear. The perfect sound is OUT THERE. @Slickrr13 , the same mindset is also in the SCUBA diving gear community. When I'm on the boats, everybody has their perfect rig. I love it.

I've looked at the Audio-GD site. My knee-jerk reaction's, pshhhh... made in the PRC. Only arrogance on my part assumes non-European manufacturers can't make premium electronics. Wrong.  Audio-GD are assembled by craftsmen & craftswomen.  I think even @SSL commented on it.

Absolutly. Audio-GD is made with pride by Chinese. This is not Chinese sweat shop stuff, this is high end hand crafted stuff made by people who really know what they are doing. I just wished it was easy to get in the U.S..  For Europeans it's easy to get,

https://www.magnahifi.com/en/

1 hour ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I was joking. Maybe I should have made my comment more silly to portray that. My bad.

CPU  i7 6850k 

14 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

I was joking. Maybe I should have made my comment more silly to portray that. My bad.

Psshhhh, it's the nature of the beast.  EVERYBODY here has an opinion. For me, it's a hell of a lot more fun BS-ing about AV than marking grade 9-10 science exams (which, as a public servant, I do... okay? okay?! Whee).

We're digging out of an ice storm here, and the school buses are cancelled. Fear not, tax payers, I'm working for my salary. :ph34r:

Just ordered the T50RP MK3 Argon's with Lambskin pads and a deerskin strap. I included the case. :) Will order the AMP later.

3 hours ago, Leozyo said:

Just ordered the T50RP MK3 Argon's with Lambskin pads and a deerskin strap. I included the case. :) Will order the AMP later.

Sweet. Be sure not to judge them until you use them with the AMP. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

50 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

Sweet. Be sure not to judge them until you use them with the AMP. 

Yea i will  get them at the same time, but since the lead time on the T50's is about 5 weeks i will probably buy the amp within 3 weeks or so. I will still have some time to think :P

What do you guys think about the best mic in terms of price/performance; v-mooda boom pro, modmic 5 or anything else?

I've read some reviews but i doubt v mooda is compatible with t50. Also does a cable like that work on an amp or do i need an extender cable from the splitter to my computer? I also wondered if the sound quality will be untouched with a cable like that..