New Headset/Headphone

I am looking for a  good gaming headset or headphone with (mod)mic combination. I am kinda lost in all the different opinions. A lot of people  seem to be recommending Cloud 2, but there are also alot of people claiming they are garbage compared to some headphones like m50. However M50 seems to have a bad soundstage which is not what you want when gaming. 

When it comes to wired vs wireless, quality is more important compared convenience to me. Seems to me wired>wireless in terms of audio quality.

What i am looking for is a headset/headphone with fairly good bass and a good soundstage under € 200,-. I am mainly gaming and listening a lot of music in which i like a good bass.

EDIT: i prefer over-ear cups and noise isolation.

My previous headset was a Logitech G430 which broke.

I was hoping you guys could help me out here. :)

Leaning towards the K7XX Headphones with modmic 5 right now. Although I'm seriously considering a wireless headset aswel.. :/

45 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Not a fan of the K7XX. What’s your budget, and you can check out my review of it here.

What would you suggest instead? I think i will keep my budget under € 200,- That is without amp or mic. I gues an amp is needed with headphones like these? My motherboard is a ROG Asus Maximus X Hero (z370) 

On 8-4-2018 at 9:27 PM, Max_Settings said:

Not a fan of the K7XX. What’s your budget, and you can check out my review of it here.

I've read your review.

Ive got some concerns about "good" headphones. Most audiophiles say a gaming headset like sennheiser g4me one is overpriced. However, with headphones like these you seem to need an amp and modmic, which will result in a total price of like 350 or even higher depending on what amp..

So considering this, "gaming" headset like g4me one arent that expensive right?

4 hours ago, Leozyo said:

I've read your review.

Ive got some concerns about "good" headphones. Most audiophiles say a gaming headset like sennheiser g4me one is overpriced. However, with headphones like these you seem to need an amp and modmic, which will result in a total price of like 350 or even higher depending on what amp..

So considering this, "gaming" headset like g4me one arent that expensive right?

No not at all. Those particular 4 would be high end for gaming headphones. You could buy something like the Status Audio CB-1 and the Vmoda Boompro and you wouldn’t need a DAC/Amp. 

14 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No not at all. Those particular 4 would be high end for gaming headphones. You could buy something like the Status Audio CB-1 and the Vmoda Boompro and you wouldn’t need a DAC/Amp. 

You'd say that combination beats a sennheiser g4me pro in terms of music quality and gaming sense like hearing footsteps?

1 hour ago, Leozyo said:

You'd say that combination beats a sennheiser g4me pro in terms of music quality and gaming sense like hearing footsteps?

It will beat or at least be as good.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

It will beat or at least be as good.

Alright thanks for the help so far. One more question if it doesnt bother you :$ What headphone/mic/amp+dac combination would you suggest with a budget of 150 - 200? Or wouldn't the budget be high enough to get a good amp+headphone?

Thanks alot! :)

21 minutes ago, Leozyo said:

Alright thanks for the help so far. One more question if it doesnt bother you :$ What headphone/mic/amp+dac combination would you suggest with a budget of 150 - 200? Or wouldn't the budget be high enough to get a good amp+headphone?

Thanks alot! :)

Well the issue with using a DAC/Amp on a headset is if you get a real headset or something like the Boompro where the Mic and headphone cord are in one, you can't plug your headphones into an Amp and your Mic into your PC or you get a ground loop. You would need a DAC/Amp like the Mayflower Arc which has a mic input, but that's $250 alone. I have heard about this thing that's a DAC/Amp for $35 with a Mic input, but I haven't heard it and even still I know it won't be nearly as good as a regular unit for a lot more. If you want a DAC/Amp you'd have to go to the Modmic which is fine, so this would probably be my setup for $200.

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375767&sr=8-2&keywords=cb-1

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B072JJT7SF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375772&sr=8-2&keywords=dac+x6

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98JVVU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375786&sr=8-4&keywords=modmic

If you don't want a DAC/Amp not these would be what I'd go with

ATH-WS1100iS (includes a mic on the wire so you wouldn't have to get an ad on mic, but works with the Boompro if you do)

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS1100iS-Over-Ear-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B018UB3HU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375861&sr=8-1&keywords=ws1100is

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375950&sr=8-2&keywords=boompro

Or ATH-M40X with Brainwavz angled pads and a modmic

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375901&sr=8-3&keywords=m40x

https://www.amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375921&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz%2Bangled&th=1

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well the issue with using a DAC/Amp on a headset is if you get a real headset or something like the Boompro where the Mic and headphone cord are in one, you can't plug your headphones into an Amp and your Mic into your PC or you get a ground loop. You would need a DAC/Amp like the Mayflower Arc which has a mic input, but that's $250 alone. I have heard about this thing that's a DAC/Amp for $35 with a Mic input, but I haven't heard it and even still I know it won't be nearly as good as a regular unit for a lot more. If you want a DAC/Amp you'd have to go to the Modmic which is fine, so this would probably be my setup for $200.

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375767&sr=8-2&keywords=cb-1

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B072JJT7SF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375772&sr=8-2&keywords=dac+x6

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98JVVU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375786&sr=8-4&keywords=modmic

If you don't want a DAC/Amp not these would be what I'd go with

ATH-WS1100iS (includes a mic on the wire so you wouldn't have to get an ad on mic, but works with the Boompro if you do)

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS1100iS-Over-Ear-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B018UB3HU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375861&sr=8-1&keywords=ws1100is

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375950&sr=8-2&keywords=boompro

Or ATH-M40X with Brainwavz angled pads and a modmic

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375901&sr=8-3&keywords=m40x

https://www.amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523375921&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz%2Bangled&th=1

Looks very good, thanks! All this information is slowly turning me into an audiophile haha. 

19 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Reading your review over and over made me change my mind. I gues these headphones included with a good amp/dac will be alot more future proof, plus i feel like i will regret not buying headphonss in that price range. I deciced to get one of the 4 headphones, either T-X0 or k7xx (because i like bass alot and playing competetive games). Unless you recommend something totaly different of course.

What amp/dac combination would you recommend for these headphones? Budget for amp/dac would be € 100 - 200 range.

Thanks alot for the help and i am sorry for the many questions!

3 hours ago, Leozyo said:

Reading your review over and over made me change my mind. I gues these headphones included with a good amp/dac will be alot more future proof, plus i feel like i will regret not buying headphonss in that price range. I deciced to get one of the 4 headphones, either T-X0 or k7xx (because i like bass alot and playing competetive games). Unless you recommend something totaly different of course.

What amp/dac combination would you recommend for these headphones? Budget for amp/dac would be € 100 - 200 range.

Thanks alot for the help and i am sorry for the many questions!

I would go with the K7XX over the T-XO. Many people are not thrilled about the T-XO. It uses the old MK2 driver which needs to be modded to be good. Massdrops attempt to mod it seems to have failed compared to other mods. Just my 2cents. I would go with whatever @Max_Settings recommends. He has tested both.

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

2 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

I would go with the K7XX over the T-XO. Many people are not thrilled about the T-XO. It uses the old MK2 driver which needs to be modded to be good. Massdrops attempt to mod it seems to have failed compared to other mods. Just my 2cents. I would go with whatever @Max_Settings recommends. He has tested both.

Thanks for your input!

EDIT: my choice is not limited to those 2 though

Out of his review i think those were the best options for me.

30 minutes ago, Leozyo said:

Thanks for your input!

EDIT: my choice is not limited to those 2 though

Out of his review i think those were the best options for me.

Let us know what you decide and what your initial thoughts are, always fun to learn what people think of their first real headphone. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

44 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

Let us know what you decide and what your initial thoughts are, always fun to learn what people think of their first real headphone. 

Sure, will do! :) will wait for Max_settings to respond before deciding any further.

I just noticed there is only € 15,- difference between k712 and k7xx. I am guessing the k712 should be a better choice l, however i read the k7xx has a slighlty better bass.

My main reason for eyeballing k7xx is that they have a good bass (which i like for music) and soundstage (for gaming) with it.

Also in a certain review i was reading they were describing akg headphones sound quallity as "bright" what do they mean by a bright sound quality? 

Personally i prefer a "heavy" bassy kind of music quality and "atmosphere?". I dont like a very light (non-existent) "punchy" bass and alot of high pitched sounds. Although i never tried headphone quality i remember i used steelseries siberia v2 long time ago and those annoyed my ears. Not sure how to describe it though.

Coming new to the headphone game, choosing is harder i expected it to be lol.

Thought i'd update this topic so you can take into account at what amp/dac i am eyeballing right now:

- Magni 3 & Modi 2

or

- Fulla 2

I will have to ship these to europe though, which will cost me another 40 dollars

2 hours ago, Leozyo said:

Thought i'd update this topic so you can take into account at what amp/dac i am eyeballing right now:

- Magni 3 & Modi 2

or

- Fulla 2

I will have to ship these to europe though, which will cost me another 40 dollars

I have that Schitt stack set up and it works well. I have not used the Fulla 2 but many people love it. Also, you asked what bright means. It is hard to explain, but the second you hear a bright headphone you understand what people mean.

"  They're better at reproducing high-pitched sounds. You'll see phrases in reviews like “Sparkle,” “Crisp,” and “Clarity”- dictionary.com. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

3 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

I have that Schitt stack set up and it works well. I have not used the Fulla 2 but many people love it. Also, you asked what bright means. It is hard to explain, but the second you hear a bright headphone you understand what people mean.

"  They're better at reproducing high-pitched sounds. You'll see phrases in reviews like “Sparkle,” “Crisp,” and “Clarity”- dictionary.com. 

ahh  i see, I personally prefer a "darker"(?) kind of headphone. So, in that case i gues i should look at some other headphones with a good soundstage and bass right?

Thanks for the information so far, i appreciate it!

I went from some steel series 650 to Fidelio X2 and the difference is huge! They dont need a DAC/amp either. Im using a modmic 5 with it. The sound is amazing. i play a lot of overwatch and with these headphones im able to pinpoit exactly where the enemy is coming from, even vertically.

The modmic requires some high quality doublesided tape to be properly mounted though, since the sides of these headphones are metal mesh.

2 minutes ago, Gainastyle said:

I went from some steel series 650 to Fidelio X2 and the difference is huge! They dont need a DAC/amp either. Im using a modmic 5 with it. The sound is amazing. i play a lot of overwatch and with these headphones im able to pinpoit exactly where the enemy is coming from, even vertically.

The modmic requires some high quality doublesided tape to be properly mounted though, since the sides of these headphones are metal mesh.

Thanks for your input! Will look into those headphones :)

4 hours ago, Leozyo said:

Thanks for your input! Will look into those headphones :)

You might really enjoy the  X2s. They are hard to find, though. Huge sound stage and great bass. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

7 hours ago, Gainastyle said:

3 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

You might really enjoy the  X2s. They are hard to find, though. Huge sound stage and great bass. 

So what about amp/dac for this? Would it make a difference at all or be totaly unnecessary?

Appreciate the help guys.

8 hours ago, Leozyo said:

So what about amp/dac for this? Would it make a difference at all or be totaly unnecessary?

Appreciate the help guys.

An amp/dac is always beneficial. However, the X2's can be run pretty well without one. So you can buy the headphones and maybe grab a Fulla 2 later. 

CPU  i7 6850k