Intel Z390 motherboards and Intel I7-9700K 8-cores

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

This isn't really a new issue when intel is forced into a re-release to improve scenario via an issue or competition this tends to happen look at the number of haswell boards for example. They clearly didn't intend to release an 8 core or even 6 core chip prior to ryzen and this is what they scrapped together currently.

For instance on LGA1150 they have the following chipsets, B85, H81, H97, Z87, Z97, Q87, and C226 (the last one is a workstation/ server model)

it's not like Intel doesn't know what a CPU's with more than 4 cores were prior to Ryzen (they had them on xeons), and more they were probably more than studied and ready to be launched with some small windows of time in between. It's not like they started to develop 6 core CPU's in 2017, and 8 cores in 2018. Just plan the chipsets ahead. But for me this is not even a lack of planning it's more a planned way of abusing customers, planned obsolescence.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

It's not like they started to develop 6 core CPU's in 2017, and 8 cores in 2018. Just plan the chipsets ahead. But for me this is not even a lack of planning it's more a planned way of abusing customers, planned obsolescence.

They wouldn't need multiple chipsets to  make prior boards obsolete they would just need a new socket which is what they normally do, honestly their chips last so long for me that it would be unreasonable to expect my boards to be compatible when I go to upgrade again anyway. However they should just revert to their tick tock strategy to prevent confusion in the market as it is bad practice

In reality it seems more likely they thought amd was going to pull an AM3 fail again with AM4 so they became complacent.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

They wouldn't need multiple chipsets to  make prior boards obsolete they would just need a new socket

you're just making my point, a new socket would probably take time to develop and test, spitting new chipsets on the same socket are way simpler. Switch a couple of pins. You could easily avoid this with some planning.

I get the argument no one is supposed to change their CPU's every couple of months, but that's not the point, what if you want to, it's much easier to sell a CPU and buy another, than to sell a discontinued mobo and CPU to upgrade, this effectively locks the customers out of the next gen without a much higher cost.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

The real question is, will the Z370 boards be compatible with the 8-core i7-9700k?  I'm gonna go out on a (very short) limb, and say no.

I think that is difficult to say because Intel policies are really strange

they declared that i7-8700K is incompatible with Z270 motherboards but Prema is successufully testing a clevo P870KM/z270 mobo with a coffe lake i7-8700K

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Jito463 said:

The real question is, will the Z370 boards be compatible with the 8-core i7-9700k?  I'm gonna go out on a (very short) limb, and say no.

The first thing is that it's likely not a 9700k. That'd be next year with Icelake. This is going to be the 8770k or something like that. Or 8080k, which would be a good model name. (Call it the 40th Anniversary Edition, maybe.) I also don't expect it to work on the Z370 generation of boards, either. Z390 should take Icelake, though.

15 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

For instance on LGA1150 they have the following chipsets, B85, H81, H97, Z87, Z97, Q87, and C226 (the last one is a workstation/ server model)

At least Intel allowed Xeons to be used on all chipsets on 1156/1155/1150, instead of just the C-series. I lmao'd when I got a Xeon E3-1241v3 for less than 200 bucks when the 4770 and 4790 were still close to 300. Ran great on a H97 board.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 07/04/2018 at 9:25 PM, RKRiley said:

Disregard.

Disregard women acquire money /jk /s

Please, change the naming of the CPUs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

We are getting 9700k on H2 2018 though, not on 2019

1 minute ago, Beerus said:

We are getting 9700k on H2 2018 though, not on 2019

How do you know this?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

13 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

How do you know this?

From multiple sites and wikichip. And from what i am getting the guy on the other forum said HE will use the 9700k on early 2019, not that the core will come on 2019. Also it might not be 10mm but a re re refined 14mm again. Expect it around late summer-fall 2018, like coffee lake last year.

1 minute ago, Beerus said:

From multiple sites and wikichip. And from what i am getting the guy on the other forum said HE will use the 9700k on early 2019, not that the core will come on 2019. Also it might not be 10mm but a re re refined 14mm again. Expect it around late summer-fall 2018, like coffee lake last year.

ok fair enough, but it still sucks you need another new motherboard which is so silly.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

ok fair enough, but it still sucks you need another new motherboard which is so silly.

If you went from Z270 to Z370 to Z390, then obviously money is not an option. The performance gain between the gens are not enough to justify upgrading each gen. And if more cores are needed (which with average use are not at all), then buying desktop chips were the wrong decision in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

If you went from Z270 to Z370 to Z390, then obviously money is not an option. The performance gain between the gens are not enough to justify upgrading each gen. And if more cores are needed (which with average use are not at all), then buying desktop chips were the wrong decision in the first place. 

yes, but some people might of bought into the new chipset expecting 2 generations of support, thinking they could of gone from 7600k to 8700k or 8600k to 9700k with out needing to spend money on a motherboard.

It is just sad to see it go this way.

19 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

You might not need a Z390. We do not know  yet. But yeah the chances are that we will. But what might also happen is that the next gen will be compatible with both chipsets but with z370 not fully utilizing the cores' potential.

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

yes, but some people might of bought into the new chipset expecting 2 generations of support, thinking they could of gone from 7600k to 8700k or 8600k to 9700k with out needing to spend money on a motherboard.

It is just sad to see it go this way.

Even before coffee lake 6C came out, there were leaks and rumors about 8C on Z390. I was planning on upgrading from 7700K to 8700K until I saw the 8C rumor. Anyway Z370 is basically a rushed chipset that they did to compete with Ryzen, I think of it as Z270 with higher support. Z390 is an entirely new chipset, rather than a rebrand/refresh.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/110231-intel-z390-readied-support-8c16t-processors/

12 hours ago, Bubblewhale said:

Even before coffee lake 6C came out, there were leaks and rumors about 8C on Z390. I was planning on upgrading from 7700K to 8700K until I saw the 8C rumor. Anyway Z370 is basically a rushed chipset that they did to compete with Ryzen, I think of it as Z270 with higher support. Z390 is an entirely new chipset, rather than a rebrand/refresh.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/110231-intel-z390-readied-support-8c16t-processors/

however Z390 should have the same socket

Spoiler

RIP my x99

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

5 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

RIP my x99

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

mine spiritually RIP'd after the 8700K came out, LOL

why?

still does what was suppose to do right?

new shit should always be better to some degree or something is wrong then

also p67 supported ivy and was kinda like z370 when came out

p67 z68 and z77 all top enthusiast mainstream chipsets

If we were to see z390 along with an 8 core coffee-lake Q3, that'd be pretty nice to see.

On another note, anyone buying a kidney?

Just now, pas008 said:

why?

still does what was suppose to do right?

new shit should always be better to some degree or something is wrong then

Most people that whine when a new CPU/GPU comes out have their current ones blow up catastrophically making there current setup literally unusable. 

10 hours ago, sicily428 said:

however Z390 should have the same socket

Yeah it does, from the Biostar motherboard leak. I'm interested in the "95W TDP" though...wondering if that's the TDP of the 8C cpu. 

Seems Biostar is getting more into high-end motherboards, good for them. Wonder what Asus or Asrock will come out with?