Setting up fans help

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

The 3pin header from the cooler is for reporting rpm. If you plug your fans into the splitter on the H150i Pro, you should use Corsair Link software to control the fans where you can choose which temp reading the fans respond to. If you'd prefer to use the motherboard settings, plug your fans into the motherboard fan headers instead of the splitter on the H150i Pro. 

Hi all,

Specs:

i7 8700k CPU

Corsair H150i PRO CPU Cooler

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero Motherboard

I am stuck on my build with configuring my fans. I have the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass case which comes with a PWM Fan Hub. The hub had 2 intake (front) and 1 exhaust (rear) already connected. I plugged in the 12v SATA connector and I plugged in the connector from the Hub > CPU_OPT on the motherboard.

The Corsair H150i PRO I plugged the 3 pin fan port into 4 port CPU_FAN on the motherboard (excludes the PWM pin?)

Now in the ASUS EFI BIOS settings it won't let me set a fan curve, I run "Optimize all" which detects the lowest fan running operation and it sets it to 100%, so there is no way to set the curve.

I think this is because it's using CPU_FAN to detect the fans which is trying to control the H150i PRO fans which can't be controlled by PWM as its not supported.

So how should I set my fans up?

Would this be fine:

PWM Fan Hub > CPU_FAN motherboard & the 12v SATA power connected

Corsair H150i PRO > port on the PWM Fan Hub

The h150i pro is controlled separately and not by the PWM fan hub - I believe the 3 pin port is just used for power? or is it used for monitoring CPU temp (in which this won't work?)

Another problem is my fan curve set in my motherboard is based on the CPU temp so all case fans spin up but my Corsair H150i PRO fans won't spin up using the same curve because that is controlled by Corsair and is based on the temperature of the water in the pump.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot to explain xD

Would appreciate if someone has the time to assist me, thanks.

With how you have it setup, it should work; however, if possible, I'd try connecting the 3-pin to CPU_FAN. You could try direct voltage manipulation or replace the stock corsair fans for less sound. However - answering your question - Yes, how you have it setup should work, but changing fan-speeds may be a bit finicky. I'd recommend trying to use all of the ports on the motherboard before using the fan hub if possible.

Have you tried connecting the H115I to CPU_OPT?  Perhaps that plug is meant for the AIO's pump.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

40 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

With how you have it setup, it should work; however, if possible, I'd try connecting the 3-pin to CPU_FAN. You could try direct voltage manipulation or replace the stock corsair fans for less sound. However - answering your question - Yes, how you have it setup should work, but changing fan-speeds may be a bit finicky. I'd recommend trying to use all of the ports on the motherboard before using the fan hub if possible.

Have you tried connecting the H115I to CPU_OPT?  Perhaps that plug is meant for the AIO's pump.

I am going to swap them round. I used the hub because it is more convenient for keeping things tidy, only one wire going to the motherboard which is completely hidden, all fans then go around the back into the hub.

Do you think the h150i pro simply uses the fan header for power? It doesn't control the fans from the motherboard at all.

The manual does say plug into CPU_FAN. I think this is just for people who don't have anything else to plug into that port or the motherboard errors?

I like speedfan. I can use both CPU and GPU temp to control my case fans and set custom curves.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

The 3pin header from the cooler is for reporting rpm. If you plug your fans into the splitter on the H150i Pro, you should use Corsair Link software to control the fans where you can choose which temp reading the fans respond to. If you'd prefer to use the motherboard settings, plug your fans into the motherboard fan headers instead of the splitter on the H150i Pro. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ok if its just for reporting RPM, I am going to plug that fan header into one of the EXT fan ports, CPU_OPT won't do anything as its just for mirroring CPU_FAN?

My case fans are in CPU_FAN (the PWM Hub), Problem is my case fans spin up based on CPU temp so they may run at max at full load when the corsair doesn't spin up as its based on water temp so they run about 900 rpm each.

Hmmm, hard to figure out what is actually best. I think I'll end up plugging the corsair fans into the fan hub so they all spin up linear and i'll try match the pump speed curve so its on full at full load.

12 hours ago, maatty said:

Ok if its just for reporting RPM, I am going to plug that fan header into one of the EXT fan ports, CPU_OPT won't do anything as its just for mirroring CPU_FAN?

My case fans are in CPU_FAN (the PWM Hub), Problem is my case fans spin up based on CPU temp so they may run at max at full load when the corsair doesn't spin up as its based on water temp so they run about 900 rpm each.

Hmmm, hard to figure out what is actually best. I think I'll end up plugging the corsair fans into the fan hub so they all spin up linear and i'll try match the pump speed curve so its on full at full load.

Any fan header is fine. 

You can choose which temp the cpu_fan header responds to in the motherboard settings. 

I personally prefer using the motherboard for everything especially since Asus' fan control is pretty nice. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.