How hard will transitioning from console to PC be?

Olli_

After making a decaion I sold my PS4 this week as I never use it now and I wanted to make a switch to PC. As i have  never properly gamed on the PC before how hard will it be for me to get used to it and are there any tips or advice? I'll be mostly playing all types of games aaa games rts indie games ect.

Use low DPIs in FPS games. I use high DPIs like a big dummy and I always shake around and spray.

Other than that, you'll get used to it, It took me maybe a couple of weeks before I got the hang of it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It isnt hard, I mean you could still use a ps4 controller if you wanted

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Steam sales are the best.

Don't expect to be the best right out of the gate at most games.

Have fun and enjoy it :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Olli_ said:

After making a decaion I sold my PS4 this week as I never use it now and I wanted to make a switch to PC. As i have  never properly gamed on the PC before how hard will it be for me to get used to it and are there any tips or advice? I'll be mostly playing all types of games aaa games rts indie games ect.

Not that hard at all, I am assuming you have used a PC for regular things like web browsing and typing. Now you can just game. If you are not used to keyboard and mouse just plug in your PS4 controller. Games are also cheaper on PC and you have more options of where to buy them.

2 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

It isnt hard, I mean you could still use a ps4 controller if you wanted

I have kept one of my controllers just in case but feel like it defeats the object on playing on PC but maybe it is better to us a controller in some types of games.

4 minutes ago, QuirkyRobot said:

Not that hard at all, I am assuming you have used a PC for regular things like web browsing and typing. Now you can just game. If you are not used to keyboard and mouse just plug in your PS4 controller. Games are also cheaper on PC and you have more options of where to buy them.

Yes I do use my PC for normal stuff but using the funds from the PS4 sale to upgrade :) . Have been looking at steam and always have good deals on compared to PSN.

I'm doing it now, I have played on Playstation and other consoles my whole life. I used computers to edit photos / videos and stuff but didn't game on them.

I have now been gaming on a pc since Xmas and my hands hurt like **** after a short 6-8 hour gaming session.  It's getting better but i'm still messing up the buttons when the shit hit's the fan lol

1 minute ago, Olli_ said:

Yes I do use my PC for normal stuff but using the funds from the PS4 sale to upgrade :) . Have been looking at steam and always have good deals on compared to PSN.

If you like you can share your current pc build and people will offer upgrade suggestions.

Disable mouse acceleration.

It makes it usually easier to get used to properly aiming with the mouse because your movement will only change by the distance you move it, not by speed.

TL:DR on mouse acceleration. Fast movements amplify the distance your pointer moves, slow movements do the opposite.

It's easy to test, just pick 2 points on your mousepad (in real life) and move your mouse very fast from one point to another. Then do it again but move your mouse very slow, you'll see that your pointer whacks basically constantly against the sides of your screen when you move fast but barely moves when you move slow, even tho your mouse covers the same physical distance.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's not that hard to switch. What you need to learn is how to press those keys with your left hand, move mouse with right hand while clicking.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I have hardly ever played console, I remember when I broke my leg I played Tony Hawk skateboarding game. Then with my children I played a few games. I think it should be easy to convert either way.

i cant speak from experience, but i would sugest getting an old ps4/ps3 controller and using that as an input for games untill you are confident with using a keyboard/mouse
also dont go prebuilt from any named brands it would be a lot cheaper to go with the parts then pay maybe 150-200 to get it all put together and tested

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's not that hard to switch. What you need to learn is how to press those keys with your left hand, move mouse with right hand while clicking.

i used to only use ambidextrous mice as i am left handed. but with time i got used to just right-handed mice. 

I played console for 20 years, moved to pc after buying a ps4. It took me about two weeks to fully get everything down in terms of using a mouse and keyboard.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

11 hours ago, Olli_ said:

I have kept one of my controllers just in case but feel like it defeats the object on playing on PC but maybe it is better to us a controller in some types of games.

There are definitely some games that are just better with a controller. some games are console ports, and the pc controls are kinda fucky. other games just feel better. Like Celeste, amazing, beautiful platformer, better with a controller.

11 hours ago, InsufficientSleep said:

I have now been gaming on a pc since Xmas and my hands hurt like **** after a short 6-8 hour gaming session.  It's getting better but i'm still messing up the buttons when the shit hit's the fan lol

having been a pc gamer for my entire life, my hands still hurt like hell.. my wrist now naturally rest crooked because of my shitty posture. make sure your posture is good, and it wont hurt as bad and will be much better and more comfortable long term.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I moved from consoles to PC about 10 years ago. Transition was relatively smooth for me. One common mistake that people who switch make ( which I also did) is moving the movement keys from WASD to the arrow keys because the arrow keys feel familiar. Don't do that.

Turn off vsync in your games. It causes screen tearing, but that's still better than input lag. Besides we have VRR monitors now to deal with that.

Turn off mouse acceleration and use low DPI ( nothing more than 1600). Get a giant mouse pad. You want to be aiming with your elbow and not your wrist. Get a wrist rest for your keyboard. One thing that works for me, is rotating my keyboard to the right a bit, so it's angled. I can game for hours without my fingers hurting because of it.

I highly recommend getting a 144 hz monitor. They're really cheap now and can be had for about $200.

Don't cheap out on power supply. Ask the forum to help you with parts when you're ready to start picking parts.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I moved from consoles to PC about 10 years ago. Transition was relatively smooth for me. One common mistake that people who switch make ( which I also did) is moving the movement keys from WASD to the arrow keys because the arrow keys feel familiar. Don't do that.

Turn off vsync in your games. It causes screen tearing, but that's still better than input lag. Besides we have VRR monitors now to deal with that.

Turn off mouse acceleration and use low DPI ( nothing more than 1600). Get a giant mouse pad. You want to be aiming with your elbow and not your wrist. Get a wrist rest for your keyboard. One thing that works for me, is rotating my keyboard to the right a bit, so it's angled. I can game for hours without my fingers hurting because of it.

I highly recommend getting a 144 hz monitor. They're really cheap now and can be had for about $200.

Don't cheap out on power supply. Ask the forum to help you with parts when you're ready to start picking parts.

Thanks for the advice i'm currently looking for a new monitor as i have a fairly old one not sure what hz my monitor is at the moment. i definatley need a wrist rest my hands hurt a bit when using the pc for normal use for a long period.