Ideas for optimal air flow (Fractal Design Arc 2 mini)

Code.016
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

I've run similar setup for 2 years (pic #1). In my testing temp difference between two orientations on CPU cooler was under 3C, so any "heat" from GPU is really minimal.

Now, PSU is fine as is. Its intaking outside of case and exhausting to rear. Having its own airflow and not effecting case. If CPU is your primary concern/target, I would leave bottom without fan. Front fans will be providing enough for GPU. I would move bottom fan to top as another exhaust, so 2 exhausts on top. You could just try that with some stress tests or gaming running and watching if temps change at all. But to add that, again with CPU as prior, having rear as intake with dust filter. Now you have 2 exhausts for CPU/overall and 1 intake for CPU alone.

Another thing, looking how long your GPU is. You could move upper front fan to top and keep bottom as intake. That (rear intake, 2x top exhaust) would have 2 intakes for GPU and CPU still having 1 intake for itself at very close range.

Hi Everyone!

I really need your ideas and suggestions here. I'm currently limited to vertical heatsink alignment of Hyper 212 Led Turbo for my Ryzen 5 1600 (oc 3.825 @1.388v).

On my idea#1, it is my current set up, where my GPU is currently OC and with that set up, the hot air from GPU is absorbing by the hyper212 and applying it to the heatsink. Since my chip is OCd, it also heats up the heatsink and being blown upwards of the case. Temps on my CPU during idle is around 38c, but jumps up to 58-61c + during gaming or load. I know that temps is still reasonably stable, but to think that my aircooler can still lower temps of CPU, i'm starting to think on other fan orientations.

I haven't done this yet, but on Idea#2 i will switch the blow path of hyper212 below the GPU, and push all hot air down to the case. This might cool off my CPU during load but the GPU will be heated up in exchange. PSU and 1 exhaust fan will blow out the hot air, but that might be a bad idea because i have too many intake than exhaust. It might also make me uncomfortable because my mouse is close to the exhaust.

my last option, idea#3, will include a metal work. I might be able to pull this off with just some grinding and welding. First, i will create a new bracket for AM4, that will allow my CPU cooler to be oriented vertically, which will blow the hot air at the back of my case. creating a non-corrosive bracket seems to be a easy job since i just need to measure the lenght of the screwholes on my motherboard, then insert the bolts that intel processor use and use the homemade bracket. my problem is, i'm not sure it this will work or not since i haven't see anyone done this and post it online. but i will give it a try. The metal that i will be using is an aluminum bar that i found on our storage. It was not used before and it does not have any rust build up on it.

Let me know which idea is best, or any suggestions before i proceed to warm up my grinders and drills. xD

Idea1.png

Idea2.png

Idea3.png

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

42 minutes ago, tmph.Gammatron said:

Hi Everyone!

I really need your ideas and suggestions here. I'm currently limited to vertical heatsink alignment of Hyper 212 Led Turbo for my Ryzen 5 1600 (oc 3.825 @1.388v).

On my idea#1, it is my current set up, where my GPU is currently OC and with that set up, the hot air from GPU is absorbing by the hyper212 and applying it to the heatsink. Since my chip is OCd, it also heats up the heatsink and being blown upwards of the case. Temps on my CPU during idle is around 38c, but jumps up to 58-61c + during gaming or load. I know that temps is still reasonably stable, but to think that my aircooler can still lower temps of CPU, i'm starting to think on other fan orientations.

I haven't done this yet, but on Idea#2 i will switch the blow path of hyper212 below the GPU, and push all hot air down to the case. This might cool off my CPU during load but the GPU will be heated up in exchange. PSU and 1 exhaust fan will blow out the hot air, but that might be a bad idea because i have too many intake than exhaust. It might also make me uncomfortable because my mouse is close to the exhaust.

my last option, idea#3, will include a metal work. I might be able to pull this off with just some grinding and welding. First, i will create a new bracket for AM4, that will allow my CPU cooler to be oriented vertically, which will blow the hot air at the back of my case. creating a non-corrosive bracket seems to be a easy job since i just need to measure the lenght of the screwholes on my motherboard, then insert the bolts that intel processor use and use the homemade bracket. my problem is, i'm not sure it this will work or not since i haven't see anyone done this and post it online. but i will give it a try. The metal that i will be using is an aluminum bar that i found on our storage. It was not used before and it does not have any rust build up on it.

Let me know which idea is best, or any suggestions before i proceed to warm up my grinders and drills. xD

Just a recommendation, Its better to have more intake than exhaust. 

26 minutes ago, Eden_Frawley said:

Just a recommendation, Its better to have more intake than exhaust. 

on screenshot #2, will the heat from cpu affects my GPU?

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

9 minutes ago, tmph.Gammatron said:

on screenshot #2, will the heat from cpu affects my GPU?

I would turn the psu over so the fan is facing the inside. The bottom fan blowing into the case. The front 2, top 1 into the case aswell then the back 1 blowing out. Cpu fan blowing on to the gpu. More airflow the better.

14 minutes ago, Eden_Frawley said:

I would turn the psu over so the fan is facing the inside. The bottom fan blowing into the case. The front 2, top 1 into the case aswell then the back 1 blowing out. Cpu fan blowing on to the gpu. More airflow the better.

So my PSU will serve as exhaust? will be there any issues with that if PSU constantly heats up?

5 minutes ago, tmph.Gammatron said:

So my PSU will serve as exhaust? will be there any issues with that if PSU constantly heats up?

If it's a good brand psu, the fan should automatically spin up. The air inside the case won't be the same temp as the cpu or gpu. The gpu doesn't really give heat through air to the heat sink of the cpu. 

What brand psu?

21 minutes ago, Eden_Frawley said:

If it's a good brand psu, the fan should automatically spin up. The air inside the case won't be the same temp as the cpu or gpu. The gpu doesn't really give heat through air to the heat sink of the cpu. 

What brand psu?

Seasonic M12ii 520w bronze. It's two years old already. We'll i'll try that option and review the temps. Thanks! i'll keep this thread up just in case (no pun) anyone wants to suggest a different approach.

15 minutes ago, tmph.Gammatron said:

Seasonic M12ii 520w bronze. It's two years old already. We'll i'll try that option and review the temps. Thanks! i'll keep this thread up just in case (no pun) anyone wants to suggest a different approach.

Perfect. Trial and error is your friend. I hope you find the config that's best for you.

Have a great day/night

- Eden 

I've run similar setup for 2 years (pic #1). In my testing temp difference between two orientations on CPU cooler was under 3C, so any "heat" from GPU is really minimal.

Now, PSU is fine as is. Its intaking outside of case and exhausting to rear. Having its own airflow and not effecting case. If CPU is your primary concern/target, I would leave bottom without fan. Front fans will be providing enough for GPU. I would move bottom fan to top as another exhaust, so 2 exhausts on top. You could just try that with some stress tests or gaming running and watching if temps change at all. But to add that, again with CPU as prior, having rear as intake with dust filter. Now you have 2 exhausts for CPU/overall and 1 intake for CPU alone.

Another thing, looking how long your GPU is. You could move upper front fan to top and keep bottom as intake. That (rear intake, 2x top exhaust) would have 2 intakes for GPU and CPU still having 1 intake for itself at very close range.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

i think this is great! what i do now is i changed the rear fan to intake since i noticed that during gaming, it spew cold air. Now i have 4 intakes (2 front, 1 bottom, and 1 rear). i might as well buy another case fan with pwm header so that it will serve as my exhaust on to the top part of my case. I'm still using the 140mm case fan from fractal, and adding 1 more 140mm will help me balance the airflow. 

This might sounds a lot of airflow but since i'm living on a tropical country (Philippines) which will help my temps go lower during summer.

Thanks guys for suggesting your ideas, it really helped me and learn from it. cheers!

Marking as solved.