Turning an old Satellite dish into a cellphone signal booster

Hello everyone, i have been getting terrible cell reception on all networks in my area, i live out in the boonies, i get one bar, and signal constantly goes in and out. I was wondering if anyone jas some DIY tips on how to boost cell reception with an old Sattellite dish?

well you'll need an outdoor rated repeater for starters. mount an outdoor antenna at the parabolic of the reflector, and then aim it at the nearest cell tower.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

A good solution could be wifi calling if your carrier supports it, call and ask!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

29 minutes ago, Jrock said:

A good solution could be wifi calling if your carrier supports it, call and ask!

Ahh the issue with that is where i love out at we dont get wifi either i have to use a mobile hotspot on my phone for that as well my phone carrier does suppport it though. Ive tried it out before and kt works great only when i have a good network connection:) alas though the only ISP service we get out here is Satellite internet and its very terrible data speeds up and down i can barely do anything on it... Im trying to avoid getting hughes net out here again. Its the only internet service available to me. And im unable to move from this area for another year or so. 

58 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well you'll need an outdoor rated repeater for starters. mount an outdoor antenna at the parabolic of the reflector, and then aim it at the nearest cell tower.

Also the repeater you tall about can i ger one from amazon newegg or my nearest tech store? I know they have the antennae. 

i imagine you could. most of them are network, specific. if you call your cellphone service provider, they may supply one to you for free.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Do i need a router with a network connection from an isp with a modem for said repeater to work?

23 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

Do i need a router with a network connection from an isp with a modem for said repeater to work?

no. a repeater simply rebroadcasts the wireless cell signal it receives locally, like a wifi range extender.

System specs:

4 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

You need a licence to use the frequency.

source for that? Because i'm looking at 47 CFR 20.21 and the use of them is perfectly legal without a FCC licence.

System specs:

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

There is written that you need the premission to run them. And i never ment licnce in the way that it is a fcc licence.

Well what the heck else would it be? The EM spectrum is regulated by the FCC. Your permission is an active cellular subscription.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

You need to ask the provider and they give you the premission. Sry if this is nothing which the word licence describe. 

Also what if you are a farmer or businessman and use the repeater for commercial/job calls and data. Is it still private use? Do you need now a fcc licence?

...and you are permitted by the activation of a subscriber line... If you were not permissed to use the frequency, then you would not be a subscriber. and yes, licence and permission are entirely different things.

it is still private in your example.

One more quote:

"each licensee consenting to the operation of a Consumer Signal Booster [...]". I guess there is the word licensee.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/20.21

the licensee is the cellular provider, not the consumer.

System specs:

What about a 1? it littery says: 

(1) Prior to operation, the subscriber obtains the consent of the licensee providing service to the subscriber;

Great to hear that private is in the US better then here. 

If it is the cellular provider licence can you explain paragraph h?

You have to have service. Consent of the use of their service (as in, using their cellular frequencies) is the agreement you sign with said provider for cellular service.

5 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

If it is the cellular provider licence can you explain paragraph h?

you mean this?:

(H)Transmit Power Off Mode. When the consumer booster cannot otherwise meet the noise and gain limits defined herein it must operate in “Transmit Power Off Mode.” In this mode of operation, the uplink and downlink noise power shall not exceed −70 dBm/MHz and both uplink and downlink gain shall not exceed the lesser of 23 dB or MSCL.

System specs:

9 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

(h)Registration. Each licensee consenting to the operation of a Consumer Signal Booster must establish a free registration mechanism for subscribers and register all Consumer Signal Boosters to which it consents. A licensee must establish a registration mechanism [...]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/20.21

that needs explanation? have you ever used one of these devices?

8 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Your average mobile contract include a contract about using a repeater?

The product warning/label mention somthing different.

what product warning label are you referring to?

System specs:

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

It is talking about licensee consenting.

"[...] Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider."

I'm just going to ask you straight out: what are you getting at?

System specs:

Verizon has a page to register your booster, I assume all other carriers do as well: https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/accessories/register-signal-booster/

I'd highly advice against making your own booster, too many variables come into play and the FCC/Cellular provider can and will come knocking on your door if you don't do it right and start causing interference back on a licenced band.

I used to work on cell towers, we fought a weird passive inter-modulation issue for months, even ended up replacing entire lines, only to find out a guy nearby made his own booster for a different cell provider and it was putting out so much power it caused issues for this tower. I can't remember if it was the FCC or the cell carrier who fined him, but I know it was $10k. IIRC he was asked nicely to shut it down, and the guy fought tooth and nail over it, so the fine was likely just retribution for that.

the interesting thing i'd like to see explored is that he would not be making or modifying a repeater (aka booster). he would be simply reflecting the signal generated by the antenna. Output as per manufacturer specification would not be affected.

Personally I believe purchasing a booster solution that has a Yagi directional beam included would be far superior to a parabolic reflector mounted omni solution. but that's just me.

System specs:

All i was going to do was put the dish on a tripod and put the phone on the dish and attach it on a piece of plywood. I wasnt goinf to buy a signal booster they dont have one for cricket wireless anyway.  Just put the dish on a tripod and face it towards the direction of the tower, put the tripod in my room ouf the window with my phone attached to the front of the dish. 

1 minute ago, TUFGinger said:

All i was going to do was put the dish on a tripod and put the phone on the dish and attach it on a piece of plywood. I wasnt goinf to buy a signal booster they dont have one for cricket wireless anyway.  Just put the dish on a tripod and face it towards the direction of the tower, put the tripod in my room ouf the window with my phone attached to the front of the dish. 

that's great and all... but you'd be reflecting the wifi signal as well.

System specs:

I tooke the beams off dish its just the dish itself on a tripod. And i use my phone as a mobile hotspot as well anyway.  If use just my phone with the dish it should be no problem with my phone signal right?

4 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

I tooke the beams off dish its just the dish itself on a tripod. And i use my phone as a mobile hotspot as well anyway.  If use just my phone with the dish it should be no problem with my phone signal right?

I understand 100% what you're talking about. It's hard to say. they are called reflectors for a reason. We use parabolic reflectors for long distance wifi connections.

System specs:

6 hours ago, TUFGinger said:

Sorry, I misunderstood the OP. It can't hurt to try, but I personally don't think it will do anything. 

They have boosters for Cricket, Cricket just uses ATT towers for the most part so any ATT booster will work. Honestly any cellular booster at all will work, everyone uses the same bands give or take. While a little pricey, the Wilson boosters work extremely well, I've put up a couple of the 4G house ones and several dozen of the vehicle ones, best as I can remember one has never failed and are only replaced when upgraded to get 3G, then 4G over the years. https://www.weboost.com/

Be sure to call or email Cricket with your phone number, address where it will be installed, and the model/serial number of the booster. They don't have an online registration page.

I dont have the money for weboost. And dont you have to have an isp connection for a booster from your provider to work anyway epecially from cricket? I just thought it would be easier to use a dish sattelite no booster and taking the refractor and reflector off the dish itself. 

23 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

I dont have the money for weboost. And dont you have to have an isp connection for a booster from your provider to work anyway epecially from cricket? I just thought it would be easier to use a dish sattelite no booster and taking the refractor and reflector off the dish itself. 

refractor?

System specs:

On 4/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, TUFGinger said:

No need for an ISP connection, the weboost boosters will have two antennas. One will mount on the roof to "talk" to the tower and a line runs down to the booster, and the second goes from the booster to somewhere in your house which "talks" to your devices. It essentially amplifies and rebroadcasts both directions to give you a stronger signal.

There is another device some providers offer, what you are likely thinking of, which is a internet connected device that is essentially a miniature cell tower working the same way a wireless access point does. We've tried these a few times at my in-law's, each time Verizon says the new style works way better than the old ones, and every time they suck... Threw up a Weboost and haven't had a single issue since.