Review: Monoprice 30" Pro IPSLCD 2560x1600

Vaoh

With WQHD monitors from Korean becoming so popular, North American retailers are finally starting to pick up on this trend. Monoprice being one of them brought both a 2560x1440 and a 2560x1600 to market. This review will be one their 30" model with a single input. The major draw to buying one of these panels from a large retailer would be warranty and pixel policy. Monoprice happens to offer a 1 year warranty and a 5 dead pixel policy, in case you're worried about the monitor breaking or having too many dead pixels. At the time of writing I've only had it a few hours, but I feel I should report the build quality, panel, and other things. So, shall we move on to packaging?

Packaging:

15yj81k.jpg

Okay, that should give some insight into the specs. Sadly didn't take pictures of the unboxing given the size and weight of this behemoth. But I can report that Monoprice does use a very thick soft foam, however the only thing protecting the screen is a pretty thin piece of cardboard, but given it's a good 3 inch from the panel to the box, there shouldn't be to many worries. Otherwise there isn't to much else to report on the packaging.

Build Quality & Components:

2nlsa9y.jpg

Here's the monitor sized next to two PA238Qs in Portrait mode, as you can tell it's quite large. The screen seems to have a light AG coating, so while it isn't overbarring, it does reduce glare and gives great picture quality. The bezel is all metal, very sturdy, dissipates the heat of the CCFL back lighting quite well. However, the stand is a cheap glossy plastic. Maybe Monoprice's way of getting you to buy one of their monitor stands? But this seems to be a very common trait among almost all cheap Korean monitors. Moving around to the rear, we can see that it offers a single Dual-Link DVI port and their own power input. Personally, I prefer to only have a single input, as the lack of a scaler does aid in reducing input lag.

zxvdhg.jpg

Very simply rear I/O, my only complaint is really on the bandwidth limitations of Dual-Link DVI, as I really can't overclock the monitor further because of it. Still, nice simple rear design. On the topic of the power brick, some of them are reported to get very hot. I can say mine doesn't, actually it's from FSP Group, nice to see Monoprice didn't skimp on the power delivery to the monitor either. Now onto the meat, and the most important part of the review. The panel itself.

The Panel:

2dlkm6p.jpg

The panel is nice and uniform, however I did spot a single dead pixel. Can you find it? I'll tell you where it is later in the review. But on the subject of that one pixel I never actually notice it, mainly due to the angle at which I sit at my desk. To reference earlier when I said this monitor lacks a internal scaler, I can report that this monitor has a very low input lag. Games feel as responsive as they did on the PA238Qs, which are some of the faster IPS panels on the market. So, if you're looking to do some gaming, this is a great monitor to do so with.

99m1wi.jpg

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the monitor does lack a OSD and only has brightness control. Couple this with the fact that these monitors are Wide Gumat, what you can end up with is something wildly different then what you'd expect. Going from my Pro Arts to the monitor, I can notice a greenish tint, it could be due to higher contrast as well. But I think expecting a "reject" panel to have the color accuracy of a Pro Art is a bit on the insane side, but none the less I'm not bothered by it during gaming. So take that as you will. So that's the overview of this panel since I'd had it (About 10 hours now.)

Pros:

*Cheap, with a coupon this monitor came to a total of $648 USD. Since Monoprice runs sales often, keep on the look out for those coupons!

*Great panel, while not being on the scale of a U3011 or one of the name brands. It does offer that super high resolution we all love.

*Low Input Lag, games and movement feel extremely responsive.

*Monoprice backed Warranty, this is one of my major reasons for ordering it. As Monoprice is great with RMAs and defective products.

Cons:

*Weak Stand, however it is sadly to be expected. Not a major con though.

*That one dead pixel, if you're still wondering where it is. It's in the top right corner (To be fair, you wouldn't be able to find it due to the image's resolution.)

*Lack of OSD, while it hurts. It's not a major loss. But maybe that's because my panel is pretty good as is.

This has been my review of the 2560x1600 monitor offered by Monoprice. If you're in the market for either a 2560x1440 or a 2560x1600 monitor I'd check them out. Since they're always running sales, it shouldn't be to hard to snag either monitor for $50 or more off. But overall I'm extremely pleased with the monitor and would recommend it to anyone looking for a 30" monitor. If you happen to have any questions I'd be more then happy to answer them.

Nice write up!

I was actually looking at these myself mostly because of the price. One question, is the stand removable and is it VESA compatible? I read that one of their 27s has a stand that is not removable but yet can be VESA mounted. However that would look stupid, so why bother? So I'm just looking for you to confirm. I have a desk mount from Monoprice already as I would not care much for the stand either. It's currently holding a Samsung 24" LCD but reviews say it is capable of supporting a 30" which is why I bought it for future proofing.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I'm quite interested in the Korean monitors though I don't tolerate dead pixels so I stay away from them :P

+ you need to have a rating out of 10, no review is complete without one ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Nice write up!

I was actually looking at these myself mostly because of the price. One question, is the stand removable and is it VESA compatible? I read that one of their 27s has a stand that is not removable but yet can be VESA mounted. However that would look stupid, so why bother? So I'm just looking for you to confirm. I have a desk mount from Monoprice already as I would not care much for the stand either. It's currently holding a Samsung 24" LCD but reviews say it is capable of supporting a 30" which is why I bought it for future proofing.

Yes it is removable. The picture of the rear should show screws where the stand attaches to the monitor. The monitor is also rated at 30 pounds, so I'd be be careful with some of the monoprice stands.

Excellent review; I'm interested in a nice 30" monitor and this could very well be an option :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the 27" on Monday, and no the stand isn't removable but it can be vesa mounted. IMHO, Monoprice is the way to go instead of ebay. The support is awesome. I got one originally with horrible backlight bleed. I jumped on a live chat with customer service, sent a picture and immediately got an RMA number. I got a brand new one back with zero dead pixels, and zero backlight bleed. Two thumbs up on this one.

I just got the 27" on Monday, and no the stand isn't removable but it can be vesa mounted. IMHO, Monoprice is the way to go instead of ebay. The support is awesome. I got one originally with horrible backlight bleed. I jumped on a live chat with customer service, sent a picture and immediately got an RMA number. I got a brand new one back with zero dead pixels, and zero backlight bleed. Two thumbs up on this one.

Ahh, that may very well be the case for the 27" which sucks. I removed the stand on the 30" to use one of the stands from my PA monitors. While it all fit perfectly the stand couldn't take the weight and the height adjust didn't work correctly.

Ahh, that may very well be the case for the 27" which sucks. I removed the stand on the 30" to use one of the stands from my PA monitors. While it all fit perfectly the stand couldn't take the weight and the height adjust didn't work correctly.

As big as that monitor is I'm surprised your desk didn't wince when your plopped it on there. I can remove the base on mine, but the clear plastic leg coming out of the back of the monitor is there to stay unless the monitor is taken apart. Considering the zero dead pixels and no backlight bleed, I'd rather cut it off with a saw than risk messing with the case and the bezel. Btw, kudos on springing for the big one. Judging by the look on my wife's face when she found out I bought it, I would have been sleeping in the livingroom with a 30" as opposed to the stink eye on the 27".

I'm quite interested in the Korean monitors though I don't tolerate dead pixels so I stay away from them :P + you need to have a rating out of 10, no review is complete without one ;)

Monoprice also offers a 27" monitor with a zero defect policy.

Thanks for the review Vaoh

As big as that monitor is I'm surprised your desk didn't wince when your plopped it on there. I can remove the base on mine, but the clear plastic leg coming out of the back of the monitor is there to stay unless the monitor is taken apart. Considering the zero dead pixels and no backlight bleed, I'd rather cut it off with a saw than risk messing with the case and the bezel. Btw, kudos on springing for the big one. Judging by the look on my wife's face when she found out I bought it, I would have been sleeping in the livingroom with a 30" as opposed to the stink eye on the 27".

I'm amazed as well, though the monitior's roughly 30 pounds the desk easily handles that along with two 23" PAs without bowing. Lack of portrait mode with the stand kinda sucks, but 1600 pixels is more then enough for anything.

Monoprice also offers a 27" monitor with a zero defect policy.

Thanks for the review Vaoh

Believe that also extends to the 30". Also no problem, nice to see someone decided to bring some of the cheaper QHD monitors to market with great warranties.

ehh thats too bad about the dead pixel,personally I'd have returned it since it's not cheap (well...for what you get it kind of is but still).

I feel cool,read the part about the dead pixel,looked in comments to see if anybody found it, and started looking for it,had it narrowed down to the part that was in the upper right hand corner and a shadow in the lower right hand corner,then I read the pros and cons........  <_<.

great overview by the way.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

ehh thats too bad about the dead pixel,personally I'd have returned it since it's not cheap (well...for what you get it kind of is but still).

I feel cool,read the part about the dead pixel,looked in comments to see if anybody found it, and started looking for it,had it narrowed down to the part that was in the upper right hand corner and a shadow in the lower right hand corner,then I read the pros and cons........  <_<.

great overview by the way.

5 dead pixel warranty, though I can imagine if I complained enough they would replace it. But the last thing I want is to get a worse panel and have to go through the ordeal all over again. Since it's out of the way and I never see it, I don't bother. Also thanks, might do some more reviews.