temperature issues (overheating?)

duckjones34

Hi,

Since yesterday my laptop has been shutting down randomly, it's only happened 2 times so far. This is odd because it's never happened before.

-

It's been running pretty hot lately and shuts down randomly ^^^. I've tried using compressed air to clean the dust out but i'm not sure if that worked or not.

I have a ASUS N53SN Laptop. If this helps also: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219119

I'm also using a TV as a display right now.

CPU Temperature:

324e948337a158475c1e74e3d8e84943.png

SPECS:

c210a6284d538a7e33efb27a6f7773ef.png

All help is appreciated. 

Thanks.  :)

90 degrees at idle...wow.

Is the fan working?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Fan coulda died. happened to my old comp, it can't survive for 40mins without dying

Diamond 5 in League :)

90 degrees at idle...wow.

Is the fan working?

At idle it looks like 40*c not 90

Oh sorry, the 90 C is from gaming.

The 40 - 50 C is from just browsing and chatting, youtube, twitch, etc.

At idle it looks like 40*c not 90

Right, I missed the left column. Your max temps however are reason for concern.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Right, I missed the left column. Your max temps however are reason for concern.

Is the general computer usage (non-gaming) temperatures normal though?

Yeah that's pretty normal. Those are more or less the temps I get with my N55. Have you checked to make sure the fan is still working?

Hi,

Since yesterday my laptop has been shutting down randomly, it's only happened 2 times so far. This is odd because it's never happened before.

-

It's been running pretty hot lately and shuts down randomly ^^^. I've tried using compressed air to clean the dust out but i'm not sure if that worked or not.

I have a ASUS N53SN Laptop. If this helps also: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219119

I'm also using a TV as a display right now.

CPU Temperature:

324e948337a158475c1e74e3d8e84943.png

SPECS:

c210a6284d538a7e33efb27a6f7773ef.png

All help is appreciated. 

Thanks.  :)

If that's idle temps, then it's a bit high, however I don't think it's too much of a problem unless those are completely idle temps. Saw this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338628-28-core-2670qm-temperature-question

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I cant say I know exactly what's going on here but I seems like your internal cooling solution is not working properly, I would stop using the tv as a display and test it again, and are there any other components over heating like your hard drive?

Your first step should be to see if your laptop is under warranty and then contact Asus if it is. For an i7-2670QM in such a thin laptop, those temperatures don't really surprise me. I have a GT780DX with the same CPU and I can't say that it runs a whole heck of a lot cooler (when I don't have the fan boost on), but you should look up a guide on dismantling your laptop and see if you can really clean out your fan and heatsinks. Remounting your heatsinks with new thermal paste might not be a bad idea either. 

Your idle temps are also fine.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Yeah that's pretty normal. Those are more or less the temps I get with my N55.

Alright cool, so do you have any idea what my problem could be?

Could some settings be wrong that are causing my CPU is have to work more?

Dust?

@DaftBehemoth 

My warranty ended a year ago. =\

@nerdglider

Okay, I will test w/o the TV.

The only things I have plugged in is my internet cable, headset, vga cable, and sometimes my controller ( which isn't in right now ).

right 40 is normal for a laptop, get a cooling stand if you want and use it on a desk maybe, my sister over heated her laptop by using it on her bed comforter, during collage

Alright cool, so do you have any idea what my problem could be?

Could some settings be wrong that are causing my CPU is have to work more?

Dust?

If you've set your CPU state to be at 100% at all times, then that can affect your temperatures. Could also be because the cooling is not sufficient enough. You can also change the thermal paste too. I did that with my N55, but I used the paste that comes with the 212 EVO (before I got my NHD14 whichhas better thermal paste included).

If you've set your CPU state to be at 100% at all times, then that can affect your temperatures. Could also be because the cooling is not sufficient enough. You can also change the thermal paste too.

Sorry, CPU state? How could I have set that?

@nerdglider

My friend I discussed this issue with before hand recommended that. Problem is - money - and I don't know where to find a good one.

@DaftBehemoth 

My warranty ended a year ago. =\

@nerdglider

Okay, I will test w/o the TV.

The only things I have plugged in is my internet cable, headset, vga cable, and sometimes my controller ( which isn't in right now ).

That's too bad :( Check your RAM and make sure that it's seated correctly. If the shutdowns have only happened twice, it might be hard to tell what's causing it. Try to pay attention to exactly what is running when it shuts down next. If you're willing to give it a shot, I would say a reformat should be your next step. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

That's too bad :( Check your RAM and make sure that it's seated correctly. If the shutdowns have only happened twice, it might be hard to tell what's causing it. Try to pay attention to exactly what is running when it shuts down next. If you're willing to give it a shot, I would say a reformat should be your next step. 

I don't think reformatting would be necessary, I recently just installed Windows 8.1.

Could it be a virus?

Sorry, CPU state? How could I have set that?

It's in advanced power options if you created your own power plan, but if you're using a preset, then I think that's not an issue.

I don't think reformatting would be necessary, I recently just installed Windows 8.1.

Could it be a virus?

Frankly, it could be anything. You need to just go through some basic troubleshooting tests. If you upgraded to 8.1 from 7, there could even be a driver conflict with your hardware and 8.1. 

Maybe you should open it up, and check to see if maybe something is wrong? It shouldn't be above 80 for the most part.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

If it's out of warranty, open the sucker up and give it a good cleaning + new thermal paste.

ea7f2de144d5cc8944cdb6a63ab1624d.png

Is that what you are talking about?

I also talked to a support guy on the ASUS website, and he said it wasn't recommended to open it up.

Any precautions?

@DaftBehemoth

I don't think there would be a driver conflict.. everything was wiped when I upgraded.

ea7f2de144d5cc8944cdb6a63ab1624d.png

Is that what you are talking about?

I also talked to a support guy on the ASUS website, and he said it wasn't recommended to open it up.

Any precautions?

@DaftBehemoth

I don't think there would be a driver conflict.. everything was wiped when I upgraded.

Yeah that's it.

Of course the Asus guy is gonna say don't open it. :P

You're temps while not gaming are normal (I'm looking at my temps in my N55 right now and they range from 42-45). What games are you playing?

Yeah that's it.

Of course the Asus guy is gonna say don't open it. :P

You're temps while not gaming are normal (I'm looking at my temps in my N55 right now and they range from 42-45). What games are you playing?

It's only happened while i've been playing CS:GO ( when the 2 shut downs occurred ).

also, 

is there anything I should check in the power options?

Any precautions?

@DaftBehemoth

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about your hardware not having proper Windows 8.1 support. And an Asus rep will always advise against doing something that would normally void a warranty. Just look up a guide and follow it, avoid static, and don't lose your screws.