Is there a difference in 8 pin connectors?

GamerForFun

I just ordered my new 1070TI, so i look at my 8 pin connectors and for some reason it says CPU. I look at a pic of the graphics card I bought and the input looks different but that can just be because the picture is at an angle.

The cable came with my PSU that i bought 5 years ago so idk if there has been any changes since then.

(and by different i look at what connectors are square and some has an arc)

4 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

I just ordered my new 1070TI, so i look at my 8 pin connectors and for some reason it says CPU. I look at a pic of the graphics card I bought and the input looks different but that can just be because the picture is at an angle.

The cable came with my PSU that i bought 5 years ago so idk if there has been any changes since then.

You want PCI for your GPU.  The CPU connector is for the motherboard CPU power.  They ARE different connectors, even if they fit in the socket.

Like so-

Image result for pci vs cpu connection

3 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

YES YES YES. DONT PLUG THE CPU ON INTO THE GPU. IT WILL DIE.

The cpu eps is a 8 pin but it is reversed. So if you plug it into your gpu it will kill it.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

how big is the chance that i need to switch out the PSU too? since the right cable didn't come with it, is there a chance?

Just now, GamerForFun said:

how big is the chance that i need to switch out the PSU too? since the right cable didn't come with it, is there a chance?

you can buy a 2 6 pin pci to one 1 8 pin pci adpater. they are cheap..

Remember 2 6 pins PCIE connector= 1 8 pin because the 6 pin can give 75W of power and the the 8 pin gives 150W

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

16 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

ExqM9za.jpg

im trying to find a dual 6 to 8pin but cant find one that arrives within reasonable time or dosent cost wayyyyy too much, seriusly someone is trying to charge 750$ for one on amazon.

i live in norway so idk about any big sellers of cables here

On 03/04/2018 at 11:13 PM, DeezNoNos said:

you can buy a 2 6 pin pci to one 1 8 pin pci adpater. they are cheap..

Remember 2 6 pins PCIE connector= 1 8 pin because the 6 pin can give 75W of power and the the 8 pin gives 150W

ive checked and the cable that i have connected to my graphics card now comes from inside the PSU and ends in a dual 6+2 connector, is that ok to use?

(and i found out that my PSU is a XFX Proseries XXX edition 750w)

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

says it comes with 4x 6+2 pin pcie connectors

i was wrong, the one i have is XFX Proseries XXX edition 750w

21 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

i was wrong, the one i have is XFX Proseries XXX edition 750w

still comes with 4x 6+2

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

still comes with 4x 6+2

trust me there was no 6+2 in the box, ive checked several times but out of the psu comes a dual 6+2 ( that is connected inside the PSU) that i am currently using for my current amd sapphire radeon hd 7950. 

so if i just use one of the 6+2 should that be fine? as far as i know there shouldt be a danger if i underpower the card but idk

1 hour ago, GamerForFun said:

trust me there was no 6+2 in the box, ive checked several times but out of the psu comes a dual 6+2 ( that is connected inside the PSU) that i am currently using for my current amd sapphire radeon hd 7950. 

so if i just use one of the 6+2 should that be fine? as far as i know there shouldt be a danger if i underpower the card but idk

every site says 4x 6+2 pin

if you lost you could possibly find another compatible cable but I dont have time to look atm