Installing Laptop RAM into Desktop!?

Have you ever wondered if you could put laptop memory into a desktop? No? Let's do it anyway. What could go wrong?

Buy SODIMM to DIMM adapters on Ebay: http://geni.us/FqMvHfQ

Buy DDR4 RAM on Amazon: http://geni.us/KyL0d

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Several old gen AIO systems used SODIMM, this is nothing new.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I know, I know, I know, I posted LTT spoilers to the forum TWO YEARS AGO. My bad. :(

Didn't seem that long ago to me D:

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I know, I know, I know, I posted LTT spoilers to the forum TWO YEARS AGO. My bad. :(

It's been 2 years since that build already?!!! Damn.... 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Just now, 8uhbbhu8 said:

It's been 2 years since that build already?!!! Damn.... 

Feb 2016 since I posed the question and the only users who replied basically said 'LAWL NO.  SNAKEOIL', I think it was like 6 weeks or so for the adaptors to actually show up and then I posted my own results.  So yeah about 2 years.

Of course once I posted that it worked well THEN people chimed in all 'Of COURSE it works' but no sign of them when I was asking and I couldn't Google up any info about it. :P

I sure am interested in reading the actual comments on YouTube about this video! :D

Why do you even read comment posted by peoples who use Weeb avatar?

... T________________________________________________________T;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Feb 2016 since I posed the question and the only users who replied basically said 'LAWL NO.  SNAKEOIL', I think it was like 6 weeks or so for the adaptors to actually show up and then I posted my own results.  So yeah about 2 years.

I think the last time someone (I dunno if it was you) asked about SO-DIMM to DIMM adapters, some people thought it wouldn't work because DDR4-SODIMM is 260 pins and DDR4-DIMM is 288 pins. Obviously pin incompatibility right? ... it only took like five minutes on Google to find out that those 28 pins were either extra or optional.

Surprised nobody questions why MicroSD shouldn't work in SD with a passive adapter even though the pin count is different.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think the last time someone (I dunno if it was you) asked about SO-DIMM to DIMM adapters, some people thought it wouldn't work because DDR4-SODIMM is 260 pins and DDR4-DIMM is 288 pins. Obviously pin incompatibility right? ... it only took like five minutes on Google to find out that those 28 pins were either extra or optional.

Surprised nobody questions why MicroSD shouldn't work in SD with a passive adapter even though the pin count is different.

Yeah, that was def part of my research.  To compare the pinouts and everything was either 'No Connection', Redundant, or for ECC.  It was enough to say 'This is evidence enough to spend $13 in the name of science'.  And, yeah, really not a shocker, it worked.

Well at least we didn't get an ASS WIPE advertisement on this one.

Aren't there already ITX boards that fit SODIMM's natively? This adapter would seem more useful for memory testing where a notebook as such isn't available.

I could see this being useful for what I do more then a few times in the past.

Weird that I never thought to look adapters like this up, well happy LTT covered it :)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I've been using one of these adapters in my rig for ages, though it's a DDR3 one (they only cost $4). They're useful as especially with the RAM supply issues now sodimms can often be found cheaper than dimms, at least where I live

Whats next? putting laptop GPUs in desktops smh

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

Just now, v0nn_toaster said:

Whats next? putting laptop GPUs in desktops smh

How about a laptop CPU in a desktop ITX board? :)

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

How about a laptop CPU in a desktop ITX board? :)

whats next, putting a laptop PSU in a desktop smh

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Rule 16: There are no girls on the internet.

That goes for avatars.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ordered 4 of them from amazon (they are more expensive there but i will not have to wait for a month to get them). I hope they do work - because i have a TON of 16gb ddr4 SO-DIMMS laying around, i upgraded both of my laptops (Lenovo and Dell XPS) to 32GB each and now i don't know what to do with these so-dimms. And now this! Oh man, please don't say it was an April Fool joke!

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

How about a laptop CPU in a desktop ITX board?

It's called COM Express. I have a COM Express Type 6 carrier board and some CPU boards for them - with notebook Core i7 CPUs and DDR3 so-dimms and Xeon D and DDR4 so-dimms. csm_image4_conga-TEVAL_rep_8cb1536e2b.jpAmpro_Adlink_Technology_Express-HL.jpg

Tested on an Intel platform. What about Ryzen with its memory pickiness?