Memory inductors on older Nvidia GPUs are failing

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Doesn't the whole card only cost $70 to build? But we are ignoring R+D costs etc. However that wasn't really my point,  the fact remains parts are failing, and if we improve one part then all we do is shift the weakest point to some other part on the board.

If it's a fault as simple as the inductors etc, they could easily* be swapped out. The difficulty is proving what part is at fault. Was it the VRM inductor failing, or was it a short in a poor PCB substrate???

*As to board repair, in general it's hard and a lot of skill needed. But on the scale of board repair, it's an easy swap for these boards by the looks of it, compared to other stuff that can go wrong.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I did just do a sanity check on what buildzoid was saying. He thinks the power delivery for the memory VRMs is from the PCIe slot and that the inductor failure would cause 12V on the output side and essentially a short circuit so we can do some really basic calculations on the power drawn from the PCIe slot.

I'm going to use 12A as that would cause failure.

12V x 12A = 144W

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the x16 slots in the PCIe spec rated for 75W? If this is actually the case I'm surprised no motherboards were damaged because more than 12A is likely to have been drawn for some of the failure pictures shown, more like 20A.

Well that is probably possible still. IIRC there were other cards that achieved numbers like that (might have been GTX 1050) but only momentarily. AFAIK the spec allows for this as long as it's not continuous draw in excess of the spec, like the RX 480.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the x16 slots in the PCIe spec rated for 75W? If this is actually the case I'm surprised no motherboards were damaged because more than 12A is likely to have been drawn for some of the failure pictures shown, more like 20A.

That's correct. The slot should be rated for 75W although I seem to recall some talk about you shouldn't even pull that from the slot if you can avoid it. The RX 480 pulled 75-85W, I believe, from the PCIE slot at launch which allegedly caused some cheap boards to burn out the PCIE slot. Huge oversight but it was fixed in firmware when it was discovered at least. You'd rather be a bit below than a bit above the spec. I think most cards try to keep it below 65W to be safe and pull the rest over the PCIE cables.

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Well that is probably possible still. IIRC there were other cards that achieved numbers like that (might have been GTX 1050) but only momentarily. AFAIK the spec allows for this as long as it's not continuous draw in excess of the spec, like the RX 480.

Yea I'm just more surprised someone with a cheaper motherboard didn't lose both due to 200W+ being ramed through the slot when it goes to short like conditions.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea I'm just more surprised someone with a cheaper motherboard didn't lose both due to 200W+ being ramed through the slot when it goes to short like conditions.

I think over-current is a lot more forgiving that over-voltage. Also here is the testing was thinking of. The 960 even goes over 200w at times.5ac2100ef0320_960Strix.png.395667e3d345cf0e99eb37554d3d725a.png

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

My completely naive and untrained zero knowledge understanding of electronics is that lots of current makes things hot. So as long as it's short, quick and not constant, you get something hot, but it does not "melt". If it's for a longer time then *bad thing happen and the magic smoke escapes*. That or extreme current... but we are not getting that here.

Lots of voltage, that is really bad most of the time!

Also, is this NVidia, or the other brands? NVidia made the PCBs/main boards... have the other resellers put their own sub par inductors on? (Though these "reference" cards are also NVidia branded ones?).

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Doesn't the whole card only cost $70 to build? But we are ignoring R+D costs etc. However that wasn't really my point,  the fact remains parts are failing, and if we improve one part then all we do is shift the weakest point to some other part on the board.

any product is as strong as it's weakest component, still that is no reason not to have better components, and even more if there cost is not that much relevant to the all product cost.

As i understand this is mostly a reference cards problem, so it even makes less sense as nvidia was a lot more money to spare.

52 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

and the magic smoke escapes

I've tried multiple times in the past and I can never get the magic smoke back in to the failed part

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've tried multiple times in the past and I can never get the magic smoke back in to the failed part

That's the part where you make your three wishes.

5 minutes ago, Carclis said:

That's the part where you make your three wishes.

Ohhh damn it! I've wasted so many wishes over the years, of course electronics parts are magic lamps but instead of rubbing them you have to over volt or over current them.

These aren't old cards. Wow. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 hours ago, asus killer said:

any product is as strong as it's weakest component, still that is no reason not to have better components, and even more if there cost is not that much relevant to the all product cost.

As i understand this is mostly a reference cards problem, so it even makes less sense as nvidia was a lot more money to spare.

But at what point do you stop using better components or use better QC?  People are assuming (and maybe rightly) that these parts are failing due to nvidia using/specifying underrated parts.  If that is the case then you can be rest assured it's not just the inductors that are underrated, they were just the weakest point for whatever reason. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But at what point do you stop using better components or use better QC?  People are assuming (and maybe rightly) that these parts are failing due to nvidia using/specifying underrated parts.  If that is the case then you can be rest assured it's not just the inductors that are underrated, they were just the weakest point for whatever reason. 

ok, i'm just going by bildzoid analysis. I guess they may have used more cheap parts besides this, but that's ok if they aren't causing problems, this ones are.

I see your point, if this didn't fail other parts would be the weakest link and be the ones to fail, but that's just a theory. You could be on to something, no idea.

Just now, asus killer said:

ok, i'm just going by bildzoid analysis. I guess they may have used more cheap parts besides this, but that's ok if they aren't causing problems, this ones are.

I see your point, if this didn't fail other parts would be the weakest link and be the ones to fail, but that's just a theory. You could be on to something, no idea.

The thing is we won't really know until we find out exactly why they are failing.   In my experience with such things, there are strong parallels to the white good industry, where brand X gets a reputation for part A failing while brand B gets a reputation for part C over heating.  We can sit and surmise that the washing machine just needed a stronger pump, but at the end of the day if they decided that pump was good enough then they likely also decided that the cheaper relay/controller board would suffice too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My 780 just died(R33 burnt), created an account here just to post that .

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-10 at 12.47.20.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Nvidia Reference cards are having there memory inductors exploding!

Source(s): 

GPUs affected: GTX 780, 780Ti, 980Ti, and Titan X (Maxwell). And possibly more that are yet to be discovered. 

But its not the end of the world!

So it would seem that Nvidia is having more issues with older reference GPUs, granted these are old and reference but this should not be happening and is still a problem. It seems to be 100% a result of Nvidia cost saving measures. 

Its also a little interesting that LTT talked about on the WAN Show as to why Nvidia is not used in Apple products, Nvidia seems to have a tendency to cut corners to save cost, and they did it again. 

To be fair, ATI did too. My ATI AIW 9700 Pro had its fan die and then died. Then a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro that I purchased died killing the AGP slot in the process. These were built by ATI cards that very few people seem to remember existed.

That's one way to keep people upgrading their GPUs. I just hope my 1080 (reference PCB) holds out until the 30xx series.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

On 31.3.2018 at 6:20 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Its also a little interesting that LTT talked about on the WAN Show as to why Nvidia is not used in Apple products, Nvidia seems to have a tendency to cut corners to save cost, and they did it again. 

The "Bumpgate" debakle and nVidias behaviour about that is probably one of the main reasons but also that they don't allow apple modifications.

AMD does and thus it is possible that Apple can do the GPU driver themselves and it is said that that is the case.

So there is a possibility that there are no AMD Drivers in Apple Products, only AMD Hardware ;)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

wow now i figured out why my 980 Ti wont boot and it makes a short, high pitched click and then shorts out the system 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Would this happen on a reference card that is being water cooled?

nervously eyes his 1080ti FE

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nvidia is garbage, there is no month without a new controversy about their bullshit practices from any angle

This topic is from March. Please don't revive old topics, especially in Tech News.

HTTP/2 203