Basics of a Graphics Card

AoD

Hey guys, so I practically understand the basics of all the components in a computer, but I still don't fully understand the specifications of a graphics card that you look at when choosing to purchase one? Could anyone please explain this to me?

Specifications to look for when picking a GPU is a little complicated, I admit it's something that I personally never really paid a lot of attention to.

I usually want over 3-4Gb VRAM and good performance, but beyond that, I don't really care too much as long as it's not a power-hungry monster like the R9 295X2 or 390/390X.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, AoD said:

Hey guys, so I practically understand the basics of all the components in a computer, but I still don't fully understand the specifications of a graphics card that you look at when choosing to purchase one? Could anyone please explain this to me?

Look for the Video RAM (measured in GB) and the clock speed (measured in MHz but more commonly GHz now). Higher on both is better.

EDIT: Check the RAM type too, e.g GDDR3, GDDR5 or even GDDR5X

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

look at benchmarks and real-world performance.  otherwise, youll end up chasing numbers that may not matter to your use case.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Specifications to look for when picking a GPU is a little complicated, I admit it's something that I personally never really paid a lot of attention to.

I usually want over 3-4Gb VRAM and good performance, but beyond that, I don't really care too much as long as it's not a power-hungry monster like the R9 295X2 or 390/390X.

That's basically how I am looking at things right now xD 

4 minutes ago, xriqn said:

Look for the Video RAM (measured in GB) and the clock speed (measured in MHz but more commonly GHz now). Higher on both is better.

EDIT: Check the RAM type too, e.g GDDR3, GDDR5 or even GDDR5X

What's a good clock speed for running 1080p? Or just for running triple A games?

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

look at benchmarks and real-world performance.  otherwise, youll end up chasing numbers that may not matter to your use case.

Thanks for the response 

1 minute ago, AoD said:

What's a good clock speed for running 1080p? Or just for running triple A games?

gtx 1050 ti , gtx 1060 gb or some card benched between them is good.

its hard to describe a clock speed for a processor that has lots and lots of cores.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Just now, AoD said:

The basics boil down to the following, with this caveat: You cannot directly compare these specs between manufacturers. So you cannot compare an NVIDIA card against an AMD card and judge how well they do based on their raw specs. You must find benchmarks to see how they compare.

In any case, here are the common ones you find in stores and on the box

• GPU Core
    • Shader unit count: These are basic "worker" units of a GPU. So the more of these there are, the better. AMD calls these stream processors (sometimes they're clumped into "Compute Units", which are 64 of these). Intel calls these Execution Units (EUs). NVIDIA calls these CUDA cores.
    • Base clock speed: This is the normal operating speed of the GPU.
    • Boost clock speed: For NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, they will try to automatically clock themselves faster if their cooling system can keep up with it (faster speed = more heat). Note that the speed on the box doesn't appear to mean much as I've seen my card routinely go past boost clock speeds.
  • Memory
    • Note that memory is something you shouldn't really pay much attention to, as most cards are designed with the memory specs they need. The only exception is if you find two cards with different memory configurations. In that case, you should opt for the better one if you can afford it.
    • Memory Capacity:  GPUs need their own RAM to do work. For the most part in games, this largely affects the following
      • The resolution for anything, such as screen resolution and shadow resolution
      • Texture quality
      • How much MSAA you can do. Other anti-aliasing methods like FXAA, MLAA, and TXAA consume little, if any VRAM.
    • Memory Interface: How many bits at a time the GPU memory can transfer at once
    • Memory speed: How fast the memory can operate, which translates to how much data per second the memory can transfer.
  • API support: This is the maximum API support they have or what they were designed in mind. This is only important if you want to play games that use a particular API like DirectX 11 or 12 or OpenGL.
  • Power connectors: Most cards these days need additional power than they can get from the PCI Express slot. They either require a 6-pin, 8-pin, or both. You need a power supply with matching connectors to use the card safely.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but those are the big ones. I could throw in more if you want.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I usually want over 3-4Gb VRAM

For 1080p, i wouldn't go below 4.

3 minutes ago, AoD said:

That's basically how I am looking at things right now xD 

Another way I usually see recommended is to get the highest performing card that fits your budget, which I personally did on my build(GTX 780 for nothing was one heck of a deal).

1 minute ago, AoD said:

I run my GTX 780 at 1105Mhz(1.1Ghz) at 1080p, for well-optimized games it holds up pretty well. PUBG is really hard to run, I'm stuck at 720p Lowest settings to get a playable framerate. Usually if you get a card that runs at least 1Ghz, you're good to go.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Paddi01 said:

For 1080p, i wouldn't go below 4.

For the games I play, I've done fine on 3 and would consider it the minimum for games in this day and age, although that may certainly be invalid by 2019.

3 minutes ago, minervx said:

gtx 1050 ti , gtx 1060 gb or some card benched between them is good.

its hard to describe a clock speed for a processor that has lots and lots of cores.

Ok cool no worries, thanks

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The basics boil down to the following, with this caveat: You cannot directly compare these specs between manufacturers. So you cannot compare an NVIDIA card against an AMD card and judge how well they do based on their raw specs. You must find benchmarks to see how they compare.

In any case, here are the common ones you find in stores and on the box

• GPU Core
    • Shader unit count: These are basic "worker" units of a GPU. So the more of these there are, the better. AMD calls these stream processors (sometimes they're clumped into "Compute Units", which are 64 of these). Intel calls these Execution Units (EUs). NVIDIA calls these CUDA cores.
    • Base clock speed: This is the normal operating speed of the GPU.
    • Boost clock speed: For NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, they will try to automatically clock themselves faster if their cooling system can keep up with it (faster speed = more heat). Note that the speed on the box doesn't appear to mean much as I've seen my card routinely go past boost clock speeds.
  • Memory
    • Note that memory is something you shouldn't really pay much attention to, as most cards are designed with the memory specs they need. The only exception is if you find two cards with different memory configurations. In that case, you should opt for the better one if you can afford it.
    • Memory Capacity:  GPUs need their own RAM to do work. For the most part in games, this largely affects the following
      • The resolution for anything, such as screen resolution and shadow resolution
      • Texture quality
      • How much MSAA you can do. Other anti-aliasing methods like FXAA, MLAA, and TXAA consume little, if any VRAM.
    • Memory Interface: How many bits at a time the GPU memory can transfer at once
    • Memory speed: How fast the memory can operate, which translates to how much data per second the memory can transfer.
  • API support: This is the maximum API support they have or what they were designed in mind. This is only important if you want to play games that use a particular API like DirectX 11 or 12 or OpenGL.
  • Power connectors: Most cards these days need additional power than they can get from the PCI Express slot. They either require a 6-pin, 8-pin, or both. You need a power supply with matching connectors to use the card safely.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but those are the big ones. I could throw in more if you want.

Oh flip that's quite alot, but I understand some more now, thanks

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Memory Interface: How many bits at a time the GPU memory can transfer at once

GPU's earlier had like 512 bits but were much slower. Is there a simple example you can do about this?

I sometime read it's like cars on a highway just with more lanes.

10 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

GPU's earlier had like 512 bits but were much slower. Is there a simple example you can do about this?

I sometime read it's like cars on a highway just with more lanes.

Memory bandwidth is bits times speed. The effective memory speed of cards of that time topped out around 2.5 GHz. Today, top-end cards top out at around 10 GHz. Note that doesn't mean they actually operate at that speed, but with pumping, you can use a slower speed to create an effectively faster one.

And the reason why cards started using less bits per transfer is because apparently wider memory interfaces are power hogs. Plus for every bit you have, you need a trace coming off the memory chip to the GPU.

EDIT: So yes, bits are like lanes in a highway, while clock speed is the speed limit.