450W power supply

MancorJ
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

You're trusting $2,500 worth of PC parts with a $30 power supply that is showing signs it is failing and unable to handle the load your system is putting on it...

... And you're still questioning whether or not you should replace it?

Yes. Replace it.

With the 4.5Ghz overclock and your GPU boost you will probably be using 450W or more which will explain the unexpected crashes. At the very least you should disable your overclock until you replace the PSU.

So uh, Overwatch for me has been crashing a lot recently, particularly when the gpu jumps to 100%.  I had an older 550W power supply that was EVGA 80+ Gold or something but it died, and i really needed a cheap alternative at the time so i bought a cheap 450W Corsair power supply.  (pls don't lecture me i know it sucks.  I got it for $30 okay?)  But i was wondering recently when i upgraded my gpu about a month ago, sometimes my games would just crash for no reason.   I hadn't overclocked my gpu or anything.  My cpu is at a stable overclock of 4.6 Ghz and have kept that overclock for about a year now and i recently had these problems until recently.  Recently its been pretty bad.  Also as a side note, i was booting up my computer and for some reason the psu fan just blasted 100% for no reason and shook my desk, so thats cool.  Anyway I was curious if that power supply should be enough or if i really should shell out some bucks and get a nice psu.

Edit: Could it be just i need to reseat the gpu?  Just popped up in my mind

Also OW says Rendering device lost when it crashes if that helps

Also PCPartPicker.  (Bt dubs i did not spend this much money on my pc at the time xd)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LDD7WD

I'd buy a new psu even if it isn't the problem, $30 psus can be trusted. Games do crash when your overclock isn't stable, and in my case my gtx 970 was overclocked a lot without testing and games would crash. I then had to reduce the overclock and games would run fine. Maybe you should try reducing your cpu overclock. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

You're trusting $2,500 worth of PC parts with a $30 power supply that is showing signs it is failing and unable to handle the load your system is putting on it...

Yes. Replace it.

With the 4.5Ghz overclock and your GPU boost you will probably be using 450W or more which will explain the unexpected crashes. At the very least you should disable your overclock until you replace the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The CX450M is a decent budget unit, so it's probably not that. Games crashing, as in a blue screens, the game just freezing, or the system just turns off?

:)

1 minute ago, Rasbir Singh said:

I'd buy a new psu even if it isn't the problem, $30 psus can be trusted. Games do crash when your overclock isn't stable, and in my case my gtx 970 was overclocked a lot without testing and games would crash. I then had to reduce the overclock and games would run fine. Maybe you should try reducing your cpu overclock. 

yeah i was already thinking about replacing it, though i got it for a deal for $30, though it is normally $50

2 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Yes. Replace it.

The grey CXM is a decent budget unit, it shouldn't cause these issues. Overclocked, the power consumption of he components should be about 300-350W. 

Just now, seon123 said:

The CX450M is a decent budget unit, so it's probably not that. Games crashing, as in a blue screens, the game just freezing, or the system just turns off?

Games crash, nothing else.  Thats why im thinking it might be a software thing.  (Also windows 10 game mode is off etc)

Just now, MancorJ said:

Games crash, nothing else.  Thats why im thinking it might be a software thing.  (Also windows 10 game mode is off etc)

That happens to me when I have a slightly unstable GPU overclock. What happens if you just increase the power limit in Afterburner? Or if you offset the GPU frequency a bit down?

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That happens to me when I have a slightly unstable GPU overclock. What happens if you just increase the power limit in Afterburner? Or if you offset the GPU frequency a bit down?

lol since its founder edition it sucks at any clock changes, i clocked it down and up 50 mhz on msi afterburner and it just crashed anything xd.  but i just reinstalled overwatch and everything seems to be working fine, i also had fps drops too but those seem to be gone since i reinstalled.  I still am gonna get a new psu but for now it seems to be working

6 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

lol since its founder edition it sucks at any clock changes, i clocked it down and up 50 mhz on msi afterburner and it just crashed anything xd.  but i just reinstalled overwatch and everything seems to be working fine, i also had fps drops too but those seem to be gone since i reinstalled.  I still am gonna get a new psu but for now it seems to be working

Good that you managed to solve the problem. But it seems odd that a FE GPU should be so potato. Usually those are a bit higher binned. 

For the new PSU, make sure to get a good one, so it's an upgrade, and not a downgrade (looking at you, EVGA NEX G1). 

30 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Whenever i alt+tab overwatch sometimes crashes still.  Probably should order that psu

(Also im thinking maybe a Corsair CS Series, CS650M may be good.)

Or maybe a Corsair CX Series CX600 instead.

Is 80+ bronze from 80+ Gold +50W really worth $40?

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The grey CXM is a decent budget unit, it shouldn't cause these issues. Overclocked, the power consumption of he components should be about 300-350W. 

I ran a CXM in another machine. I have no issues with the model of PSU. I agree, they are good budget PSUs and I would definitely pick it over most other things in its price range. I just don't think it's suitable for this particular machine. Considering OP said that the problems began after swapping power supplies and has noted the PSU fan has been behaving in a abnormal manner, I would say the point of trusting it with expensive hardware is over.

Putting OPs hardware in to a couple of power supply wattage calculator tools puts it at about 390W - 460W, depending on CPU & GPU clock speeds, and depending on which calculator you use. I would say a 450W PSU is cutting it close.

Spoiler

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i5-7600K
CPU Speed: 4500MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.25V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Core Clock: 1615MHz
Memory Clock: 2500MHz
Storage: 1 x SSD
Storage: 2 x SATA 7.2K RPM
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 3 x 120mm
Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: No Gaming / 3D Apps

Load Wattage: 443W
Recommended Wattage: 543W
Amperage: +3.3V: 10.2A, +5V: 8.9A, +12V: 30.3A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1000VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2018-03-29 08:09:22

11 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

but i just reinstalled overwatch and everything seems to be working fine, i also had fps drops too but those seem to be gone since i reinstalled.  I still am gonna get a new psu but for now it seems to be working

If I were you I would still monitor the situation to see if you still experience any issues that may be related. Issues may only present themselves under extreme load and just because it isn't doing it *now* doesn't mean the problem isn't still there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

If you are planning on replacing the PSU, I would recommend checking out the PSU Tier List. It's an absolute godsend when it comes to quickly sussing out the good from the bad when it comes to shopping for power supplies, especially with Corsairs naming scheme and different revisions with the same or similar names and then different label colours for different generations and so on.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you are planning on replacing the PSU, I would recommend checking out the PSU Tier List. It's an absolute godsend when it comes to quickly sussing out the good from the bad when it comes to shopping for power supplies, especially with Corsairs naming scheme and different revisions with the same or similar names and then different label colours for different generations and so on.

sick ill check it out

thanks

31 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

CXx50 are the good ones, CXx00 are the shitty ones

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

32 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

No, that's a significant downgrade from what you have now. You should be looking at things like the 450-550W Formula, Straight Power 11, TXM, Focus Plus Gold, RMx or Whisper M. 

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

No, that's a significant downgrade from what you have now. You should be looking at things like the 450-550W Formula, Straight Power 11, TXM, Focus Plus Gold, RMx or Whisper M. 

heck im barely 16 in high school with barely $80 what do you want from me lol

32 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I ran a CXM in another machine. I have no issues with the model of PSU. I agree, they are good budget PSUs and I would definitely pick it over most other things in its price range. I just don't think it's suitable for this particular machine. Considering OP said that the problems began after swapping power supplies and has noted the PSU fan has been behaving in a abnormal manner, I would say the point of trusting it with expensive hardware is over.

Putting OPs hardware in to a couple of power supply wattage calculator tools puts it at about 390W - 460W, depending on CPU & GPU clock speeds, and depending on which calculator you use. I would say a 450W PSU is cutting it close.

Correlation ≠ causation. The problems seem to be solved with a fresh install of the game. 

The fan ramping up a bit is not necessarily a cause for concern. 

Those PSU calculators are useless. They overestimate by a ton. Since they output 390-460W, about half of that is realistic at stock settings. A 180W GPU and a gaming load with a fairly low power platform should be about 180W + ~50W. 

1 minute ago, MancorJ said:

A 450 Formula can be had for $60 lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, MancorJ said:

If the PSU is faulty, RMA it. If you're going to replace it, don't downgrade. Some of those should be available for under $80 in the US (that's the default location)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Correlation ≠ causation. The problems seem to be solved with a fresh install of the game. 

The fan ramping up a bit is not necessarily a cause for concern. 

Those PSU calculators are useless. They overestimate by a ton. Since they output 390-460W, about half of that is realistic at stock settings. A 180W GPU and a gaming load with a fairly low power platform should be about 180W + ~50W. 

underclocked my cpu and the freezing stopped in almost everything.  Also i have a bunch of led strips x d

1 minute ago, MancorJ said:

underclocked my cpu and the freezing stopped in almost everything.  Also i have a bunch of led strips x d

Underclocked, as in reduced the overclock, or running it at below stock settings?

LED strips draw next to no power. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

1 minute ago, JDE said:

A 450 Formula can be had for $60 lol

lol i literally have a 450w now x d

Just now, seon123 said:

Underclocked, as in reduced the overclock, or running it at below stock settings?

LED strips draw next to no power. 

below stock, i tried stock and nothing changed