Do you have niche needs/builds that people don't understand?

light-v

I'm a big fan of ITX builds and I tend to move quite a lot so the smaller and lighter, the better and I do have a main ATX rig so it's not like I'm missing out on something.  

But people seem to be perplexed by that and will pretty much always recommend me getting something bigger which I find mildly irritating (I know what I want duh) 

What kind of niche stuff you guys have that people fail to understand? 

Edit: Also I hate gaming laptops 

I'm insanely impatient and I never turn my computer off because I NEED to be able to access something in seconds, not a few minutes or more.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

2 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

I'm insanely impatient and I never turn my computer off because I NEED to be able to access something in seconds, not a few minutes or more.

M.2 NVMe SSDs solved that problem for me.  PC goes from off to on before i can hit the power button and sit down.

That said.  I have my triple monitor setup because i hate having to manage windows.  I have a dedicated screen to each window i want to use and simply turn my head to look.  I read a lot of code and things so its handy to not have to be alt-tabbing.

first thing people say when they see it is "why do you need 3 screens, thats so excessive"....  watch me code some C++ or work my Epic personal Accounting skills.  Also, being able to tie a monitor to another PC im working with and having that all at my desk without affecting my other PCs workflow unduely is suuuuper handy.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

I think non tech people in general don't understand us techies as we're pretty niche already 

20 minutes ago, light-v said:

I'm a big fan of ITX builds and I tend to move quite a lot so the smaller and lighter, the better and I do have a main ATX rig so it's not like I'm missing out on something.  

But people seem to be perplexed by that and will pretty much always recommend me getting something bigger which I find mildly irritating (I know what I want duh) 

What kind of niche stuff you guys have that people fail to understand? 

I have a 1700x with a crosshair vi motherboard and a 1050 ti, I get plenty of criticism for the 1050 ti

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

I need to have my number pad on the left side of my keyboard, despite being right handed.

This is primarily because I use Blender a lot, and being able to use the mouse at the same time as I change camera angles is so useful.

And then there's the fact that I use my left hand as a calculator while writing with my right for homework so it's in my muscle memory.

9 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

M.2 NVMe SSDs solved that problem for me.  PC goes from off to on before i can hit the power button and sit down.

That said.  I have my triple monitor setup because i hate having to manage windows.  I have a dedicated screen to each window i want to use and simply turn my head to look.  I read a lot of code and things so its handy to not have to be alt-tabbing.

first thing people say when they see it is "why do you need 3 screens, thats so excessive"....  watch me code some C++ or work my Epic personal Accounting skills.  Also, being able to tie a monitor to another PC im working with and having that all at my desk without affecting my other PCs workflow unduely is suuuuper handy.

Same here, I have 3 monitors, the one in the middle being ultrawide, and I still don't feel like I have enough monitors.

People don't understand that you need a monitor for everything - "this is ultrawide for multitasking, single player gaming and watching films" and "this needs to be portrait for reading code more efficiently" etc etc.

I think I'll be happy with 5 or 6 monitors though, any more than that would be excessive for even me.

iTX doesn't have enough expansion slots, GPU (or 2). 10GbE SPF+ Networking, on some systems I need a RAID or HBA card as well.  ATX boards and cases give a lot more flexibility in terms of IO which is a compromise I am not willing to make myself.

Small fan + small heatsink is worse than large heatsink with no fan. People don't want unnecessary noise, but then choose the wimpiest heatsink with a quiet fan when they could buy a larger heatsink for equal, but passive, cooling. 

Hot-swap for data that you can use at multiple PC's such as a Steam library or movie collection. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, berzerk_jaffa123 said:

I need to have my number pad on the left side of my keyboard, despite being right handed.

This is primarily because I use Blender a lot, and being able to use the mouse at the same time as I change camera angles is so useful.

And then there's the fact that I use my left hand as a calculator while writing with my right for homework so it's in my muscle memory.

Same here, I have 3 monitors, the one in the middle being ultrawide, and I still don't feel like I have enough monitors.

People don't understand that you need a monitor for everything - "this is ultrawide for multitasking, single player gaming and watching films" and "this needs to be portrait for reading code more efficiently" etc etc.

I think I'll be happy with 5 or 6 monitors though, any more than that would be excessive for even me.

id love a second row above my first.  6 would be my upper limit.  i have my 24 inch one in the middle for gaming and just a general purpose screen.  my 2 21inch are flanking it either side in portrait mode.

it gives my battlestation a "Tie-Fighter" look that I also really enjoy.

People also get mad at me because every room in my house has a computer in it.  What if i want to plex from my bedroom?  hmmm???

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

I really like the x58 platform. The rig in my signature is a little dated because I am in the middle of updating it but I have put way too much money into this platform. It is awesome

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I really like the x58 platform. The rig in my signature is a little dated because I am in the middle of updating it but I have put way too much money into this platform. It is awesome

OMFG THAT MOTHERBOARD.... its my wet dream.  I want one soooooo badly.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

My main rig must have both an AMD GPU and a Nvidia GPU in it, dedicated SSD for games, dedicated SSD for Windows libraries if the boot partition is <120GB, the slowest HDD is an archive of operating system ISOs, program and update installers, and a minimum of 1 bluray burner.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I like my small form factor builds because it's small (hurdur), out of the way, and I feel like I get more out of my money with more utilization of what the motherboard offers. Though I may go mATX next round.

I also prefer having a single monitor most of the time. The second monitor I have rarely gets turned on.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup that I use more often than my headphones. Nothing creates surround sound as good or better than well, actual surround sound.

i love 16:10 monitors - because 10 is higher than 9 - litterally.

it's totally against the trend of going wider and wider but having more vertical pixels means i can have more tracks on screen in a DAW or video editing software

and i also love working on multiple monitors. 

my ideal setup would be a single 1920x1200 monitor in the middle and two 1600x1200 screens left and right that are physically the exact same height as the middle one (and matching design) 

@KenjiUmino

Where do I get these 16:10 monitors you speak of?

I've looked online but never been able to find a good 16:10.

2 minutes ago, berzerk_jaffa123 said:

@KenjiUmino

Where do I get these 16:10 monitors you speak of?

I've looked online but never been able to find a good 16:10.

see ... that is the same problem i have. i know dell made some nice 16:10 monitors with IPS panels and built in usb hub.

HP would be another brand to look out for. i know my HP Compaq LA2205wg monitors also got a "big brother" with 1920x1200 at 24" instead of the 1680x1050 at 22" - but i am not sure if those are IPS or TN.

you can sometimes get refurbished units at a good price - sometimes. 

search for "1920x1200 monitor" or something of that sort. good luck

by the way: you will have a hard time finding a 16:10 monitor above 24" but a 24" 16:10 feels 'larger' than a 24" 16:9 so it shouldn't be a big deal

My two main PCs are relatively normal (main rig and HTPC) but, I have a weirdo little SD HTPC. Sitting inside a fetching and modern Fractal Design Define C case is a 10+ year old ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard (nVidia nForce 590 SLI chipset) and AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU. The platform doesn't actually matter as long as it can play SD video. This is just what I had handy. What matters is the video card. It's running an EVGA GeForce GTX 275. The important bit is it's one of the last nVidia cards to still have native S-Video and Component video. I don't like watching SD stuff on an HD screen. Looks awful. So, I have this along with all my old pre-HDMI game consoles hooked up to my old 27" CRT TV.

Also, there's further weirdness. It's very much in the spirit of Roadkill. Nice parts bolted to clapped out old junk. Along with the Fractal case is a new Seasonic Focus Gold 550W PSU, a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240 AIO (it was the only cooler I had handy that fit) with two Noctua NF-F12 fans, a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, a SoundBlaster X-Fi HD external sound card (has built in RCA stereo connectors), and then the video card's cooling. The original fan was obnoxiously loud so I removed it and the shroud and zip-tied two Noctua NF-R8 fans to it.

It will be getting a small upgrade soon for the sake of power consumption and thermals. I have an Intel DH61BE motherboard and a Core i3 3240 ready to go but no RAM. Some cheap RAM should be here next week.

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Quad-1080Ti + Threadripper 1950X. At least gamers don't understand why :)

Congrats. You are filthy rich 

hows it feel to be part of the 1%?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Hmmm. I use an MP3 player instead of listening to music on my phone. That seems to confuse pretty much everyone.

I hate walking around with my phone in my hand. It's big. It's annoying. An MP3 player is much nicer. Plus the sound is better, and it doesn't drain the battery of my phone.

I like the idea of ITX builds, but I've yet to do one. Next year. Maybe. I'm torn. :P

3 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

iTX doesn't have enough expansion slots, GPU (or 2). 10GbE SPF+ Networking, on some systems I need a RAID or HBA card as well.  ATX boards and cases give a lot more flexibility in terms of IO which is a compromise I am not willing to make myself.

I think you misunderstood the point of his post :P It was to list quirks you had, not to comment on what you thought about his itx system ;)

3 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

I need my desktop computer to be modded to some extent. I can't imagine using one that would just be a bunch of parts plugged and screwed together, which anyone could replicate.

I'm the same way with my mountain bike. Custom color for the frame, custom color way throughout with custom brake levers etc.
It's expensive, but totally worth it.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

My main rig must have both an AMD GPU and a Nvidia GPU in it, dedicated SSD for games, dedicated SSD for Windows libraries if the boot partition is <120GB, the slowest HDD is an archive of operating system ISOs, program and update installers, and a minimum of 1 bluray burner.

I get most of that...but a red and a green GPU? Why?

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I like my small form factor builds because it's small (hurdur), out of the way, and I feel like I get more out of my money with more utilization of what the motherboard offers. Though I may go mATX next round.

I also prefer having a single monitor most of the time. The second monitor I have rarely gets turned on.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup that I use more often than my headphones. Nothing creates surround sound as good or better than well, actual surround sound.

I've always wanted a 5.1 set up, but without a dedicated room for the PC it just doesn't make sense :(

My dad has one and it's divine.

I've heard good things about Creative's soundbar though, so maybe I'll try that next.

54 minutes ago, wasab said:

Congrats. You are filthy rich 

hows it feel to be part of the 1%?

That's hardly the 1%. I have a mountain bike worth more than that. Times two.

33 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I always use my phone in landscape with a very crazy UI scale. I can't stand using it normally.

You don't find it crazy annoying when the screen pops up to type? I can't even imagine what that would look like!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I get most of that...but a red and a green GPU? Why?

Freesync and gsync monitors. Plus some games play better with the 470 (fewer frame dips) others with the 1080.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You don't find it crazy annoying when the screen pops up to type? I can't even imagine what that would look like!

Looks like this: 

Screenshot_20180329-210403.thumb.png.c9fd8b2c072d2b35e142e1393f72e36c.png

ignore the tabs, thats my theme being broken

A good PSU.

My cousin sells PCs on eBay and routinely asks me why don't I get a CM Elite/Corsair VS instead.

Also I need that TG

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.