Wrong PSU shipped - Should I still use?

Zunti
Go to solution Solved by Revamp,

Having too much as far as PSU capabilities won't hurt anything. Your PC will pull what it needs.

EVGA Supernova 750 G3 was ordered, but I received a 1000 watt instead (Received it for the price of the 750, not sure why).

The 750 would be more than enough power for my current build. Should I wait until I can get the 750 watt, or will it be fine for me to just throw the 1000 watt in the rig? 

I build my own PC's, but there seems to be a lot of noise on whether using an overkill PSU is fine or not. Honestly, I don't care a whole lot about efficiency, I just want my PC to turn on when I press the power button :) 

It would be helpful to know your full spec list to help us deciding whether using 1000w is too much or not.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Contact the company and inform them of their mistake. Then decide from there.

If they want it back, do that. If they let you keep it, just use it. It can't hurt.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Having too much as far as PSU capabilities won't hurt anything. Your PC will pull what it needs.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

Being this was from EVGA, it could have been they didn't have the 750 in stock so gave you a free upgrade to a better PSU. This is their MO which is why people choose them over other companies. Their support is TOP notch.

1 hour ago, Revamp said:

no, higher wattage PSU could be louder when the fan starts.

and AFAIR that is the case with this unit.

With a 750W you might have like 300rpm less under normal/light loads...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I'd roll with it. EVGA PSUs are hella nice.

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I'd roll with it. EVGA PSUs are hella nice.

Not all of them, though. And the G3 is hella loud. 

:)

When dealing with electricity whether it is AC or DC voltage, sometimes things can get screwy but they really are not too difficult to deal with if you know a couple of things.  I have to apologize in advance because sometimes, for me anyway, it is easier for me to use examples so if my note gets long winded, I apologize in advance.

Generally, if an item (psu for example) is rated at 110 volts and 10 amps it will not hurt it if you hook it up to 50 volts and 10 amps.  It just won't work worth a darn because the voltage is not high enough but the amps is okay.  But....  (always have to have a but)...

If you hook up an item (psu again) rated at 110 volts and 10 amps to the wall and get 220 volts at 10 amps, then it will smoke.  The 10 amps is okay but the voltage is too high (obviously).

Amps is different.

If you take an item (psu again) rated at 110 volts and 10 amps and plug it into the wall and get 110 volts with 5 amps, then it probably won't work right either.  The voltage is okay but there is not enough Amps to push the voltage, the psu ends up under-powered and as a result it will most likely not behave the way it should.  Amperage (Amps is sorta goofy in a way).   But......  (again the but)

If you take your item (psu again, it gets around), rated at 110 volts and 10 amps and connect it to the wall rated at 110 volts and 20 amps, you won't have any problems at all and everything will work just fine.

Amperage is kind of funky in that if an item is rated at 10 amps and gets less than 10, then it goes funky with undetermined results.  But if you take that same item rated at 10 amps and hook it up to a 20 amp source, then that item (psu) will only take (use) what it needs.  It will just take the 10 it needs and it will disregard everything over that number.

I'm sorry that my response is so long winded but this is the only way that I could try to figure to use so that I could "hopefully" explain it in such a way that it wouldn't be hard to understand.

Hope this helps, when it was explained to me this way, oh so many years ago, it really helped me a lot.

just use a 1000w one, having more powerfull psu does not have any inpact on your rig niether on power consumption from the wall

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

Does the receipt that shipped with it show they swapped it with the higher wattage counterpart (1000W part on the receipt)?

If they didn't send it on purpose, not on the shipping receipt, I would email them, explain what you ordered vs what was received and ask if you could go ahead and keep the better one vs them having to pay return shipping and shipping the correct part.

The reason you want something from them in writing is in case you need warranty support since your receipt and product wouldn't match up when making a claim.