Noob question. Is this compatible? CPU/Mobo

Hey, I currently have,

CPU: i5 6600k

MOBO: ASUS RoG Maximum VIII Hero

I am upgrading my CPU to the i7 8700k. Is this compatible? Just upgrading my CPU is all, I need the performance increase when streaming and recording

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

They both use the 1151 socket so it will be compatible.

nope

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

no... It's not on the supported CPU list https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Your board does not support it. Unless it 300 series board. Straight from ASUS website. 

10 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Socket 1151 has two revisions. The first revision only supports the 6000 and 7000 chips and the second revision only supports the 8000 chips. 

15 minutes ago, silvinodino said:

Hey, I currently have,

CPU: i5 6600k

MOBO: ASUS RoG Maximum VIII Hero

I am upgrading my CPU to the i7 8700k. Is this compatible? Just upgrading my CPU is all, I need the performance increase when streaming and recording

Nope. Not compatible. You need a board with the Z370 chipset to run the 8700K. The fastest CPU you can upgrade to now is the 7700K.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Dreamplay said:

Why is this best answer? 

ya, I really hope OP didn't read it and run off and get an 8700K lol

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

3 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Well it'd be his fault if he did that after reading just a single answer. On the other hand one could expect someone with 2500 posts on the forum to not give people such stupid and misleading answers...

5 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Please, look up what 1151 CPU are compatible with which chipset, as many mentioned above, your recommendation can lead to a lot of wasted time and money.

@silvinodino I have removed the reply you selected as the best answer since it's not, 8th CPUs are NOT compatible with your motherboard.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

UGH I just bought an 8700k to after reading his first answer. He had a lot of forum posts so I thought he knew his shit. I just installed it and was wondering why the hell my computer wouldn’t start up. So I need a 7700k? 

9 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

I did ... :(

3 hours ago, silvinodino said:

I did ... :(

ooof, I'm really sorry about that :( I too was shocked that he had so many posts 

ya 7700K is the best you can do on it. be warned tho, it's hot af if you don't delid

what is your current i5 not doing for u? idk how much of an upgrade the 7700K will be depending on what u need to do.

14 hours ago, ProximaOfZeal said:

Well it'd be his fault if he did that after reading just a single answer. On the other hand one could expect someone with 2500 posts on the forum to not give people such stupid and misleading answers...

14 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Please, look up what 1151 CPU are compatible with which chipset, as many mentioned above, your recommendation can lead to a lot of wasted time and money.

@silvinodino I have removed the reply you selected as the best answer since it's not, 8th CPUs are NOT compatible with your motherboard.

19 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Socket 1151 has two revisions. The first revision only supports the 6000 and 7000 chips and the second revision only supports the 8000 chips. 

Nope. Not compatible. You need a board with the Z370 chipset to run the 8700K. The fastest CPU you can upgrade to now is the 7700K.

Intel's own website lists the CPUs as identical sockets and the last time I built a PC when the spec sheets lists identical sockets they work unless its a xeon or something. On Intel Ark the CPU I see no such warning about these revisions , I myself thought it was odd they would be compatible across generations like that but I took Intel Ark's word for it when I gave my answer. Its an honest mistake;  that's why you never decide on something without multiple confirming sources.

TL;DR I gave my answer using info straight off intels official website.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Intel's own website lists the CPUs as identical sockets and the last time I built a PC when the spec sheets lists identical sockets they work unless its a xeon or something. On Intel Ark the CPU I see no such warning about these revisions , I myself thought it was odd they would be compatible across generations like that but I took Intel Ark's word for it when I gave my answer. Its an honest mistake;  that's why you never decide on something without multiple confirming sources.

TL;DR I gave my answer using info straight off intels official website.

Always go on verified compatible CPUs from the motherboard manufacturer. It's always listed on their websites. And if it's OEM, go by chipset, not socket :) 

Intel has stated 8000 series CPUs would not be compatible with the x100 and x200 chipsets. Socket alone isn't enough as you found out.  Intel has done this many times before. On socket 775 for instance, there were chipsets that only accepted P4, some accepted Pentium D, some accepted Core 2 Duo and some took Core 2 Quad. Similar story for socket 604. The oldest revision only had single core support and the last revision took 6-core chips. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

• 1 month later...

I've got to say I still feel bad about my error here. I think its safe to say its the only time I've ever made a mistake like this on the forum, regardless of how it happened (I went off info from Intel ARK and didn't follow new CPUs closely enough). I did try to contact OP to make things right because it was my fault, but it seems after getting his questions answered he never visited the forum again unfortunately and still has not read them.