Samsung galaxy s9+ second camera disabled?

I just bought the samsung galaxy s9+ and I've noticed that the second camera never does anything. I did the 2x zoom and covered the second camera and nothing changed leading me to believe its disabled. Can anyone confirm? i cant seem to find any way to take a picture or video with the second camera it always uses the varying aperture lens never the supposed telephoto lens.

On the note8 I believe the second camera is a monochrome used for depth perception for use in portrait mode.

6 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

image.png.b86d12b6fe71c6138f98c8d057f1b340.png

i know what the camera is supposed to do im telling you its not doing anything. There is a button that says 2x that is supposed to switch you to th telephoto but when i cover up that second lens nothing changes like you dont see my finger covering up the lens u just see through the main lens and this is true when you take the photo and or video or super slo mo or on pro mode

5 minutes ago, luckymansogo said:

and this is true when you take the photo

Maybe the main camera is used for the preview and the telephoto is used for the actual picture?

Edit: stupidity

3 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

@luckymansogo asking for a reward for bug report is not normal.

You are happy if they fix it and excited if they reproduce the problem within 4 working hours and write back.

Also a real bug report is more then just saying it does not work. It helps if you can narrow it down so they are able to reproduce it.

Do you have checked the manual if they say that they are not using it under some circumstance? would not be the first time that people don't reat the manual.

there is no manual only a quick start guide. theres no possible way they could make a manual for a modern smart phone with all the million features

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

There is a manual: 236 pages.

The bug bounty is for vulnerabilities and you also have to follow the guideline of them (what they want to see, how to disclose, etc.). Otherwise no payout. Having such a programm is normal.

could you link the manual?

the camera is from pages 70 to 75 and only mentions that the 2x button does what it does on samsung s9+ models not under what conditions it may or may not be disabled.

6 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

google: s9+ manual or just visit the product page

Just now, luckymansogo said:

the camera is from pages 70 to 75 and only mentions that the 2x button does what it does on samsung s9+ models not under what conditions it may or may not be disabled.

thanks for the suggestion to find the manual though was a great idea. any other suggestions or ideas why its not working?

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

The first thing the support want you to do is to delete the cache or a factory reset. Don't know why but those support guys love factory resets (even if the problem is not software related).

Also just try rebooting and try a bright environment. Don't  know if thirdparty apps can use dual cameras if they do try one.

i literally got the phone 6 hours ago its pretty much factory reset already lol ill give the better light a try tomorrow morning

Update! yes it appears to be a light levels issue so probably a "feature". pretty much if you are not pointing it at a light or a very sunny day the second camera doesnt work.

My Note 8 does the same thing, but I think the main purpose of the second camera is for the Live Focus feature, not the x2 zoom.  Under the Live Focus mode you will see your finger on that second camera (and it also shoots and saves the images from both cameras when you use it) so if you want to use the second camera just use Live Focus as the zoomed in camera is the main camera in that mode.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

1 minute ago, MegaTechPC said:

My Note 8 does the same thing, but I think the main purpose of the second camera is for the Live Focus feature, not the x2 zoom.  Under the Live Focus mode you will see your finger on that second camera (and it also shoots and saves the images from both cameras when you use it) so if you want to use the second camera just use Live Focus as the zoomed in camera is the main camera in that mode.

interesting find but when we look at the advertising material the 2x zoom is the primary function but without a direct way to select which camera you want to use i must say that this is a strange implementation of  their ad material. thanks for the tip though im gunna see if this works  on the s9+ and also in low light which is the problem  ive identified.

As I said, the second zoom lens is the default lens in the Live Focus mode so if that's the lens you want to use for a zoom image, just flip it to Live Focus (and you don't have to even use the background blur feature at all).  It is curious that Samsung elected not to utilize the second zoom lens on the main shooting mode when selecting X2 zoom (it apparently just digitally zooms the main camera), but this is the same exact setup they've been using since introducing the second lens for the first time on the Note 8.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

• 2 months later...

I believe I have figured out the issue.

I had the same question and tried to figure it out and I think I did,

When you cover the zoom lens and click 2x zoom in auto mode you can still take a picture perfectly fine even though you have the lens covered.

so whats happening is when the phone detects the lens is covered it switched to the main shooter with digital zoom.

The way I figured this out was by covering th zoom lens and clicking zoom over and over and I noticed that when I did it quick I seen my finger covering up the shot very briefly.

So if you switch to 2x zoom and slowly move your finger over the zoom lens you can see your finger creep up but when it covers enough it switches to the main shooter with digital zoom.

I confirmed by taking 2 pictures both at 2x zoom and one with finger completely covering the zoom lens and one with my finger just barely in the shot so I could tell what lens was being used and the one with my finger just barely in it was waaay clearer and had much more detail.

This is a pretty neat little trick they do to help with fingers in pictures.

• 3 months later...

As for the second camera in photo mode, everything is correct: if there is not enough light, the system switches to the main camera and makes a digital zoom. There is still no forced choice even in the pro mode.
But the worst thing is that when shooting video, the tele camera is never used at all! How the hell can I choose it if I want to shoot video with optical zoom?