Forum App (but not really)

myselfolli

Before you go and lock/delete this thread:

I know we won't be getting a mobile app, and for perfectly valid reasons. But maybe consider a progressive web app (PWA)?

It's essentially still the same web based forum, but with all the advantages of a native mobile app. Although I don't know how difficult this would be to incorporate since the forum software of the LTT forums is 3rd party software...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

This will never happen. The base site is optimized for Web usage.. and as you alluded you already know this and its requested to NOT request apps for the site.. which you just did. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

This will never happen. The base site is optimized for Web usage.. and as you alluded you already know this and its requested to NOT request apps for the site.. which you just did. 

Yes, I know. Now go click the link I inserted.

Upon reading, you will realize, that what I am requesting is still technically a website which is being loaded by your browser. It's just reskinned and has a few extra functionalities (like push notifications, which is what many people name as the main reason why they want an app).

--maybe go read the stuff I post before hating on me, thanks--

So is the rest probably

28 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

There's no need to be aggressive.

OP is requesting something which has not be suggested before in this way.

Mobile Apps are a definite no no but they never said no to PWAs and frankly the amount of work to make it a PWA wouldn't be too much.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's no need to be aggressive.

OP is requesting something which has not be suggested before in this way.

Mobile Apps are a definite no no but they never said no to PWAs and frankly the amount of work to make it a PWA wouldn't be too much.

I wasnt meaning to sound aggressive. I would assume that as a web developer, those who are in charge of the LTT domain would have known about this and likely decided against it like a proper app. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

I wasnt meaning to sound aggressive. I would assume that as a web developer, those who are in charge of the LTT domain would have known about this and likely decided against it like a proper app. 

They might not have considered it and I strongly suspect they haven't.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The only real benefit, as I understand it, would be push notifications (it doesn't make sense to make the site work offline), but unfortunately despite putting in a reasonable amount of effort to change it, they aren't really practical with the current forum software (because the existing notification system, which only works when the site is open, would interfere).

If you think it would be sufficiently beneficial in other ways, I'm not opposed to implementing it though.

HTTP/2 203

40 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The only real benefit, as I understand it, would be push notifications (it doesn't make sense to make the site work offline), but unfortunately despite putting in a reasonable amount of effort to change it, they aren't really practical with the current forum software (because the existing notification system, which only works when the site is open, would interfere).

If you think it would be sufficiently beneficial in other ways, I'm not opposed to implementing it though.

I know some apps can give push notifications through chrome (facebook mobile does) 

Could this be possible? I feel like this plus like a chrome based app that only opens the forum would be all it takes to make an LTT forums "app"

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know some apps can give push notifications through chrome (facebook mobile does) 

Could this be possible? I feel like this plus like a chrome based app that only opens the forum would be all it takes to make an LTT forums "app"

Push notifications work in the browser, the problem is that it's not going to work on the back end.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

The whole concept is still somewhat new, and I (as a web developer :P) only recently learned about it as well. So I figured I'd point it out here, since it could likely have a practical application.

But oh well, if @colonel_mortis thinks it won't work, I guess this won't be happening...

So is the rest probably

40 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

And that is actually precisely what a progressive web app is. You instruct the browser to open only one single website (so the LTT forum for example), plus you have what's called a "service worker", a small js-script, that keep executing after the page (forum) is closed. Which is what ends up ending push notifications.

Twitter (I think) has a nice implementation of a PWA

So is the rest probably

4 hours ago, RollTime said:

Call me silly, but can someone articulate why we can't have a mobile app? Just curious.

Cost and time of development outweighs the benefit. We don't have a fully employed team working on the forums.   

Exact words:

A forum app
Due to limited resources available, and the functional mobile site, there are no plans to develop an app for the site at this time.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

A PWA seems like a great idea so long as it has push notifications.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Cost and time of development outweighs the benefit. We don't have a fully employed team working on the forums.   

Exact words:

A forum app
Due to limited resources available, and the functional mobile site, there are no plans to develop an app for the site at this time.

Thanks.

it's time

19 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

How hard is it to implement the PWA (progressive web app)? If it isn't that hard to do then I for one would love it. I fully understand that it wouldn't really be worth if it requires any significant amount of work.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 3:00 AM, colonel_mortis said:

push notifications

A dream, I know, but I would love this so much. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-