How to update firmware of LG 43UD79-B?

bello2185
Go to solution Solved by Vrolg,

How I upgraded firmware on mine.

1) Insert random usb 3.0 flash drive in monitors usb 3.0 port.

2) Connect monitor with usb 3.0 (to pc) to usb type C (to monitor)

3) OnScreen Control will now recognize connected monitor and allow upgrade.

I don't know why it wont work without flash drive (windows 10 driver issues?), but inserting that flash drive did it for me.

Good luck.

Hey guys, recently I bought the 4K 43" LG 43UD79-B monitor that Linus showed in a couple of videos. I've got it hooked up to my PC with DisplayPOrt and it's working good so far, but I want to update the firmware of this thing. To do that you need to install the LG software, in which you have an update firmware option. When I run that it tells me to connect a USB the monitor and PC with a USB cable, so I hooked up a USB-C cable to the USB-C port on the monitor, and then used the included USB-C to USB A adapter to plug that cable into my PC USB A port. But no matter what I try the software will keep telling me I need to connect a USB cable before I can proceed with updating, it doesn't register or something. Anyone here successfully updated the firmware on this thing?

The usb-c port is an upstream port for data through a source (it effectively acts like an input from a hub). I believe you have to hook up to one of the two downstream ports since those will have data connectivity with the monitor directly.

I have an LG monitor, as does my partner (I have the lg 27ud68p and partner has 34um95-p) and both of them work this way, though I've never had to update the firmware on either of these for them to work as expected.

Is there a specific feature/problem the new firmware for your monitor addresses?

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

The usb-c port is an upstream port for data through a source (it effectively acts like an input from a hub). I believe you have to hook up to one of the two downstream ports since those will have data connectivity with the monitor directly.

I have an LG monitor, as does my partner (I have the lg 27ud68p and partner has 34um95-p) and both of them work this way, though I've never had to update the firmware on either of these for them to work as expected.

Is there a specific feature/problem the new firmware for your monitor addresses?

Thanks, will see if I can scavenge a male to male USB A cable and try again. I initially tried USB-C because while researching the monitor I vaguely remember people on Hardforum saying they couldn’t get it working with the normal USB ports, but I might be misremembering.

As for a specific feature/problem; newer firmware supposedly increases the PWM frequency, so it should flicker less. I’m keen to try that out.

6 minutes ago, bello2185 said:

Thanks, will see if I can scavenge a male to male USB A cable and try again. I initially tried USB-C because while researching them monitor I vaguely remember people on Hardforum saying they couldn’t get it working with the normal USB ports, but I might be misremembering.

As for a specific feature/problem; newer firmware supposedly increases the PWM frequency, so it should flicker less. I’m keen to try that out.

That's a fair reason, I hope you get it working.

One thing to bear in mind - male to male usb cables are incredibly non-standard, since if wired incorrectly (or connected to devices that do not expect it) they can cause shorts and damage ports. I'd recommend possibly contacting LG before buying one or attempting this, since after looking online, there are a few people that seem to have had problems with the usb ports working *at all* on your particular monitor. Now, we obviously can't rule out human error, since it's not obvious that you need to hook up the usb source first and without it the ports "won't work" but...

Another thing to try, do you have any usb-c devices to try to hook up directly without an adapter? I've experienced an issue with my MacBook pro 2016 - it only has usb-c ports - where the adapters only work when connected directly to the MacBook (the source). trying to use a usb-c to a cable and an a-to-c adapter on the other end (to make a janky usb-c to usb-c cable) won't work. 

33 minutes ago, Tabs said:

That's a fair reason, I hope you get it working.

One thing to bear in mind - male to male usb cables are incredibly non-standard, since if wired incorrectly (or connected to devices that do not expect it) they can cause shorts and damage ports. I'd recommend possibly contacting LG before buying one or attempting this, since after looking online, there are a few people that seem to have had problems with the usb ports working *at all* on your particular monitor. Now, we obviously can't rule out human error, since it's not obvious that you need to hook up the usb source first and without it the ports "won't work" but...

Another thing to try, do you have any usb-c devices to try to hook up directly without an adapter? I've experienced an issue with my MacBook pro 2016 - it only has usb-c ports - where the adapters only work when connected directly to the MacBook (the source). trying to use a usb-c to a cable and an a-to-c adapter on the other end (to make a janky usb-c to usb-c cable) won't work. 

Thanks for the tip. I’ll shoot LG an email to see if they can clarify it.

I do have a MacBook, but it’s the 2015 model without USB-C. Unfortunately I don’t have any other USB-C devices, so I can’t use USB-C to USB-C directly. 

EDIT: Waaaait a minute. I just build a new PC and my new motherboard does indeed have one USB-C port. Will have to try this out after work.

Edited by bello2185

Well, tried the direct connection but that didn't work either. Even bought a different USB-C cable (3.1 Gen 2) but no change. Contacted LG but the only thing they suggested was swapping out the cable, like I tried. o.O

I don't know why it wont work without flash drive (windows 10 driver issues?), but inserting that flash drive did it for me.

Good luck.

20 hours ago, Vrolg said:

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 6:11 AM, bello2185 said:

Thanks for the tip!

Hi, I am having the same problem. Couple of questions. 

1. Did the last suggestion work? 

2. Did the firmware make any real changes to the display. 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

The usb-drive trick did not work for me. With the USB-A to USB-C adapter provided plus a USB-C cable I did eventually get it work by plugging into a USB 3.0 port on the PC rather than a USB-2.0

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, Vrolg said:

Good luck.

This did the trick for me, thanks!

• 3 months later...