CPU hotter under load with new thermal paste?

Computernaut

Recently I got a new CPU and (of course), applied new thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1), and while at idle the temps are much better than before, under load, it gets much hotter, before the new paste my old CPU was usually about 41o C when idle, with the new paste the idle temps are in the low 30s. Before the new paste my CPU would get to about 50 (give-or-take) under load. But now it regularly gets to 55o C under load. I realize that these temps are far from bad but it seems strange.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

What cooler are you using and what paste did you have before?

Are you sure that the cooler is properly mounted and have you tried reseating it? How did you apply the thermal paste?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

Recently I got a new CPU and (of course), applied new thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1), and while at idle the temps are much better than before, under load, it gets much hotter, before the new paste my old CPU was usually about 41o C when idle, with the new paste the idle temps are in the low 30s. Before the new paste my CPU would get to about 50 (give-or-take) under load. But now it regularly gets to 55o C under load. I realize that these temps are far from bad but it seems strange.

The different thermal pastes must be optimized for certain tasks. That is probably why they have different temperatures. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, AaronsDev said:

different thermal pastes must be optimized for certain tasks

Very funny.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Rasbir Singh said:

Very funny.

I'm not joking. Linus said something about it in this video he posted: 

1 minute ago, AaronsDev said:

WOOOW, I just learned something new.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

50 minutes ago, AaronsDev said:

I think you misunderstood.

Longevity and performance are not "tasks".

Gaming or video editing would be a task.

The thermal paste has nothing to do with this, it is simply a material that transfers heat.

It either performs better or worse.

That means OP either doesn't have very accurate numbers for exactly what temps he was getting before, or he did not apply the thermal paste perfectly.

It is very possible that when he checked his "idle" temps before there was some system service running in the background raising the temps, or he didn't run a proper stress test to get the load temps and is just relying on the inconsistent temperatures given by some games or whatever.

To know the idle temps, you need to make sure the CPU is at 0% load, and for load temps at 100% load using a stress test.

It also needs to be the same stress test that you compare before and after, as different tests will cause different temps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I think you misunderstood.

Longevity and performance are not "tasks".

Gaming or video editing would be a task.

The thermal paste has nothing to do with this, it is simply a material that transfers heat.

It either performs better or worse.

That means OP either doesn't have very accurate numbers for exactly what temps he was getting before, or he did not apply the thermal paste perfectly.

It is very possible that when he checked his "idle" temps before there was some system service running in the background raising the temps, or he didn't run a proper stress test to get the load temps and is just relying on the inconsistent temperatures given by some games or whatever.

To know the idle temps, you need to make sure the CPU is at 0% load, and for load temps at 100% load using a stress test.

It also needs to be the same stress test that you compare before and after, as different tests will cause different temps.

Oh thanks. I just misunderstood. Thank you!

Going with @KenjiUmino here. Are you talking about load temps on two different CPUs or same CPU with just paste changed? Is load same? I assume cooler is. You can only compare temps reliably when you have least variables possible. If you have changed more than just paste, its likely that paste is least of the things causing issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The CPU is using a stock cooler. No I did not run proper stress tests, "idle" and "load" are maybe not the words to use, but I am comparing the old CPU/paste and the new CPU/paste when they're doing the same thing. 41/~32 was with the computer running nothing but the temp monitor software, ~50/~55 was after the computer had been running Minecraft for an hour or so, (pretty much the most intensive thing I run, and a good thing too, I have an E8600)

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

As others said, the big change here is not re-applying thermal paste, but changing the CPU. Which CPU did you have, and which one do you have now? A more powerful CPU will get hotter under load, so if that's the case, a 5C difference with the same cooler isn't surprising.

14 hours ago, Computernaut said:

The CPU is using a stock cooler. No I did not run proper stress tests, "idle" and "load" are maybe not the words to use, but I am comparing the old CPU/paste and the new CPU/paste when they're doing the same thing. 41/~32 was with the computer running nothing but the temp monitor software, ~50/~55 was after the computer had been running Minecraft for an hour or so, (pretty much the most intensive thing I run, and a good thing too, I have an E8600)

Considering the CPU is different, I'd say what you are seeing is normal. Newer Intel chips have their issues with paste and too much voltage. What you are doing is more about comparing how different CPUs heat output is between two CPUs while using two different stock coolers. Too many variables to blame just paste. I have had Intel stock cooler with stock paste and same setup again with NT-1. And I still can't say if aftermarket paste provides that much better thermals as first mount was bad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's the same cooler, I guess "stock" is not the right word, it's the cooler that cam with the computer (HP 6000 Pro MT), the old CPU was a Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06 GHz, and the new one is an E8600 @ 3.33 GHz.

27 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

It's the same cooler, I guess "stock" is not the right word, it's the cooler that cam with the computer (HP 6000 Pro MT), the old CPU was a Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06 GHz, and the new one is an E8600 @ 3.33 GHz.

there you have it

But then why is it cooler when (more or less) idle?

1 hour ago, Computernaut said:

But then why is it cooler when (more or less) idle?

The E8600 has a larger die which is easier to cool. Operating voltages will also vary between individuals cpus even if they're the same model. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oh, okay, that makes sense.