MSI's Facebook representative throws shade at AMD graphics cards [Update]

Skanky Sylveon
2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

#BetterBlue 

Intel iGPU FTW!

8th+Gen+Intel+Core+processor.jpg

Well, that iGPU(quasi dGPU) does indeed physically appear to be 'blue', so I'll accept your comment without the :eyesroll:

All this talk about AMD making inferior products... Anyone remember when Nvidia totally botched and recycled their cards and they still flew off the shelves despite how terrible they were to AMD's offerings at the time ? Most of the market share in pascal belongs to the 1060 and below and AMD competes quite well in that segment, in fact they competed so well Nvidia gave us a handicapped 1060 with 3gb then when AMD gave us a card that was relatively faster than a 1070 we got a 1070Ti.

If AMD was so sub-par why would Nvidia bother releasing cards to compete with AMD's instead of slashing the price of their current offerings to make them more appealing.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

14 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:
Spoiler

8th+Gen+Intel+Core+processor.jpg

Well, that iGPU(quasi dGPU) does indeed physically appear to be 'blue', so I'll accept your comment without the :eyesroll:

I wish we had a desktop version, something with Coffee Lake and more Vega units.

But the rumors are Intel chose to use AMD as an iGPU stopgap until they have their own iGPU or dGPU to replace it,not sure the Intel+AMD collab would have ever happened without Intel getting Raja Koduri.

One word. Meh. 

Choice is good. Don't know why some people want a monopoly but that's on them. I'd rather have the freedom to choose as a fellow consumer. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, SpencerC said:

Ehh, Vega 56 beats the 1070 by a decent margin (10-15%). If you tweak it correctly, Vega 56 can hit within 5% of a stock 1080. Remember why the 1070Ti exists?

Honestly I forgot about the 1070ti, it's such a weird card. Ultimately Sauron here was right though that stock runs everything and miners/scalpers ruining the market does sort of make Nvidia better solely because you can get the same performance for much cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Regardless it's more about the price than about whether or not the performance is comparable. Of course right now the prices are inflated so it's hard to make a fair comparison.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Some think that by signing up with GPP, they're not allow to make AMD cards, that isn't the case. They can still make AMD card, just no under their gaming brand, such as for Asus:ROG, MSI: Gaming X, Gigabyte: Aorus. I don't know what their agreement is under GPP. If future gaming brand are not subjected to GPP, then they can easily just created another one for AMD cards.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Some think that by signing up with GPP, they're not allow to make AMD cards, that isn't the case. They can still make AMD card, just no under their gaming brand, such as for Asus:ROG, MSI: Gaming X, Gigabyte: Aorus. I don't know what their agreement is under GPP. If future gaming brand are not subjected to GPP, then they can easily just created another one for AMD cards.

Too many people are focusing on how this impacts dGPUs, and aren't talking about how this impacts OEMs for desktops and laptops.  Are HP, DELL, Razor, MSI, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc supposed to have entirely different product brands/product lines just so consumers whom are buying laptops/prebuilds can even get an option for an AMD GPU?

Compared to system OEMs, who gives a fig about dGPUs? (other than financially inept enthusiasts) And I'm surprised that this isn't the angle being clarified/discussed the most.

9 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Too many people are focusing on how this impacts dGPUs, and aren't talking about how this impacts OEMs for desktops and laptops.  Are HP, DELL, Razor, MSI, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc supposed to have entirely different product brands/product lines just so consumers whom are buying laptops/prebuilds can even get an option for an AMD GPU?

Compared to system OEMs, who gives a fig about dGPUs? (other than financially inept enthusiasts) And I'm surprised that this isn't the angle being clarified/discussed the most.

OEM like Dell, HP, Samsung, Sony, don't make video cards, so I don't see what is the problem. As for gaming laptops, they can easily add a AMD gpu to their line up, just not under their gaming brand.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

OEM like Dell, HP, Samsung, Sony, don't make video cards, so I don't see what is the problem. As for gaming laptops, they can easily add a AMD gpu to their line up, just not under their gaming brand.

do we know if amd can have a gaming sub brand?

now if they cant then I could see how that line is being crossed

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

HA!  "easily add", "just".

interesting choice of words.  I'd have opted for something more along the lines of 'magic wand' and 'pixie dust'.  I don't see any part of that being easy for OEMs, hell just getting them to have configuration options was hard enough before, now they can't even pretend to sell those under the same brand and have to have entirely different product lines just for Radeons sake?  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

interesting choice of words.  I'd have opted for something more along the lines of 'magic wand' and 'pixie dust'.  I don't see any part of that being easy for OEMs, hell just getting them to have configuration options was hard enough before, now they can't even pretend to sell those under the same brand and have to have entirely different product lines just for Radeons sake?  Good luck.

sub brand for each wow that sounded tough

12 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Don't know

10 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Asus, msi, gigabyte can easily build a "gaming" laptop just without their gaming logo on it and use their standard logo. Gpp did not specify that everything from rgb keyboards, 144hz screen, angular design, is subjected to GPP.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

So now when you just bluntly but accurately describe the state of Radeon you're "throwing shade"?

Here I have a joke for you all:

Spoiler

image.png.6b7cc0de0084ab3e68f4812ce5424d01.png

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

They technically do already if they make monitors. Gsync and free-sync don't fall under the same branding afaik from Asus, acer, etc but unless you're very knowledgeable about parts you won't even bother looking for the free-sync gaming monitor or you'd buy it by accident because it was cheap.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I can see why asrock is making gpus now.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

They technically do already if they make monitors. Gsync and free-sync don't fall under the same branding afaik from Asus, acer, etc but unless you're very knowledgeable about parts you won't even bother looking for the free-sync gaming monitor or you'd buy it by accident because it was cheap.

they make rog freesync and predator freesync dont they?

12 minutes ago, pas008 said:

they make rog freesync and predator freesync dont they?

Not afaik or if they do, it's a recent thing.

Edit: Asus has a whopping 4 FreeSync monitors out of the 15 monitors on their ROG site and Acer has 1 FreeSync monitor I can find branded as Predator.

22 minutes ago, pas008 said:

From what I've read, no. All gaming lines must be Nvidia.

38 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Same thing will happen to them as MSI, ASUS, etc. Except gaming prebuilts are far more lucritive than just GFX cards. They use GTX, then they either run the risk of not getting enough carfs or they sign with GPP.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

From what I've read, no. All gaming lines must be Nvidia.

Same thing will happen to them as MSI, ASUS, etc. Except gaming prebuilts are far more lucritive than just GFX cards. They use GTX, then they either run the risk of not getting enough carfs or they sign with GPP.

where are you getting this info?

nvidia offered gpp which they have the money to buy current from my understanding

never read anything on blocking amd having their own gaming sub brand

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

where are you getting this info?

nvidia offered gpp which they have the money to buy current from my understanding

never read anything on blocking amd having their own gaming sub brand

The articles from the first thread regarding GPP.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The articles from the first thread regarding GPP.

read the article too

never said amd cant have their own gaming sub brand

That's kinda what happens when a company keep flopping generation after generation. 

Amd killed themselves with bulldozer, now they did it with VEGA.

Nothing's changed with that company at all in the last 10 years. 

7 hours ago, sof006 said:

Because they provide graphics cards for both brands. The fact is that they're siding with Nvidia more because of (what I imagine) this new thing Nvidia has introduced. 

The fact is?  you don't know that is a fact. we know nothing about that contract or agreement.  You feel they are which is not the same.  Also they are a company that has to sell product, as much product has they can.  that is not bias that is business.  They are not reviewers or bench markers, they are not judges or independent parties, they are a business who's main goal is to sell as much product as they can.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not really.

AMD also makes CPUs which tbh is where they are doing really well in. There is a reason the two divisions are legally separated. AMD is concentrating on making money and turning a profit. They are doing that in spite of Nvidias “better options.” 

That doesn't address anything I said.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Reguardless, of it was the right thing to say they would not have deleted and retracted the statements. 

PR is thing, bad PR from a true statement = retract the statement and say otherwise. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To be fair the statement isn't true.

Currently, the best performance is coming out of Nvidia and not AMD in the GPU market.

Maybe now that someone sane has taken over their GPU division they'll do more than just marketing low end cards and extremely hard to get "high end" cards that aren't better than the competition despite having some newer tech.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Haven't seen (sorry if I missed it), but an update on topic:

Damage control. It was blamed on "lone wolf" employee in another news outlet, but they didn't have much else to add.

MSI managed to incense a spate of Facebook followers when a rep for its MSI Gaming page in India suggested that AMD graphics cards are not worthy of its "Gaming X" brand. The comment came in response to a follower accusing MSI of "siding with Nvidia," under the assumption that MSI joined Nvidia's recently announced GeForce Partner Program (GPP).

"We apologize for making an inappropriate comment. It did not represent MSI's official views," MSI said.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-apologizes-for-disparaging-amd-in-favor-of-nvidia-on-facebook/