MSI's Facebook representative throws shade at AMD graphics cards [Update]

Skanky Sylveon

It's like arguing over a Ferrari and Lambo... Both are fast but one is faster.

Kinda funny coming from MSI, they haven't had a good board since Z97/X99 and literally only have one GPU model ever worth buying.

1 hour ago, AntiTrust said:

AMD cards are pretty bad though. I bought an RX 480 originally for my PC but would get dips down to like 15-20 fps in fallout 4. I wrote a nasty email to ASUS, returned the card to NCIX and got an EVGA GTX 970SSC for the same price and boom everything runs perfect, like magic. 

there really is no competition I can see in graphics cards. My experience tells me that there is no use in directly comparing specifications 

My Gaming X RX470 4G hasn't dipped below 45FPS, whereas both my G1 Gaming 1070 and 1080 Armor OC dip to the mid 20s.

This is running them all with a 5930K at 4.5GHz, 850 Evo, and 2133MHz/15-15-15-36 RAM.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Ginger_ said:

Personally I just associate ROG, GAMING, AUROS, whatever series with a higher quality card. I mean, you can buy a strix 560 or 1050ti, and same with the other series. That might be their high end gaming series of cards, but they go all the way down to budget products.

Their product line does go all the way down to the bang for your buck cards. But that's not the segment people typically associate these gaming brands and certainly isn't what would be the centre piece at their booths in conventions and tournaments.

I'm going to take a word from JJ (from ASUS) back in 2013 during his appearance on the WAN Show. "ROG is the fore leader of design innovation" for ASUS. That generally only happens at the high end. That's not to say innovation can't come from the mid range, but it generally doesn't happen that way. It starts at the high end and trickles down throughout the lineup. 

If AMD wants to be taken seriously by these gaming brands, they would need to show these companies they can produce a product that pushes the boundaries rather than just being good enough. There's no point for these companies to pour millions of dollars in R&D into a mid tier product when they can use that money to really make a high end product shine and show the world what is possible. Even if what Nvidia is doing with the GeForce Partner program is anti-competitive, AMD isn't do themselves justice by consistently under-delivering. If you can't keep up, you're just going to be left in the dust one eventually. A rival implementing anti-competiveness measures isn't a excuse for not being competitive in the first place. You earn your market share and you earn your support from board partners.    

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

33 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My Gaming X RX470 4G hasn't dipped below 45FPS, whereas both my G1 Gaming 1070 and 1080 Armor OC dip to the mid 20s.

This is running them all with a 5930K at 4.5GHz, 850 Evo, and 2133MHz/15-15-15-36 RAM.

Was the same with my 470 and 1070.. dropped more frames with the 1070 than the 470... Come to think of it, I had more driver issues and issues on a whole with the 1070.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Was the same with my 470 and 1070.. dropped more frames with the 1070 than the 470... Come to think of it, I had more driver issues and issues on a whole with the 1070.

Asides for overclocking my 1070, I haven't had issues with either Pascal card.

Then again, I also refuse to update my Nvidia drivers. No point in fixing what ain't broken.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

#BetterRed

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You earn your market share and you earn your support from board partners.    

But you earning support from board partners does not allow you to control what those board partners do. 

There is no justification for what Nvidia is doing and I'll never buy one of their cards unless they stop what they are doing. They somehow think this is all ok which I just find hilarious. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Unless MSI's Facebook rep is an idiot (a large possibility of that being true) then their badly worded response to Pj Gowtham may tell us something that we don't know.

Although admittedly, that's speculation.  So let me rephrase it.

I think the MSI rep was just dissing AMD. From everything I've seen so far GPP doesn't disallow manufacturers from making AMD cards.

2 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

So, a program that pushes manufactures to not produce cards for the competition that has premium branding/design, thus fooling the average Joe customer isn't anti consumer?

Not saying it isn't. Just that manufacturers aren't banned altogether, they just can't use certain brands.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

#BetterRed

It reminded me somehow of political slogans. xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

19 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But you earning support from board partners does not allow you to control what those board partners do. 

There is no justification for what Nvidia is doing and I'll never buy one of their cards unless they stop what they are doing. They somehow think this is all ok which I just find hilarious. 

I'm not justifying the GeForce Program. People can associate this PR situation as a result of the GeForce Partner Program all they want. At the end of the day, this just looks like a rep from MSI dissing AMD because AMD can't deliver anything that is worthy for MSI to really talk about. If AMD keeps trying to play catch up (arguably failing at that) and continuously be absent at the high end, they're not going to get the support from board partners, even if the GeForce Program never existed. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm not justifying the GeForce Program. People can associate this PR situation as a result of the GeForce Partner Program all they want. At the end of the day, this just looks like a rep from MSI dissing AMD because AMD can't deliver anything that is worthy for MSI to really talk about. If AMD keeps trying to play catch up (arguably failing at that) and continuously be absent at the high end, they're not going to get the support from board partners, even if the GeForce Program never existed. 

Well MSI has since backpedaled because:

1.) If you alienate a portion of your sales (yes AMD makes up a good portion of GPU sales) you are going to lose them and MSI can’t say AMD Cards don’t matter and still expect to collect on AMD card sales.

2.) The claims made against AMD by MSI in this FB post are baseless.

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well MSI has since backpedaled because:

have they released a statement?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

2.) The claims made against AMD by MSI in this FB post are baseless.

GPU experience to me is measured at the high end. And as of right now, AMD doesn't have anything that competes to the 1080ti which is "almost" as good as you're gonna get. So I don't see it that way. I'm gonna have to say Nvidia is ahead of the GPU experience. AMD has been out of the game for a long while, been trying to play catch up for the past few years and just haven't made the impact needed to fully revive their image. All they're really banking on at this point is that "they're the good guys compared to Nvidia", and sometimes just being the good guy isn't enough. 

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

GPU experience to me is measured at the high end. And as of right now, AMD doesn't have anything that competes to the 1080ti which is "almost" as good as you're gonna get. So I don't see it that way. I'm gonna have to say Nvidia is ahead of the GPU experience. AMD has been out of the game for a long while, been trying to play catch up for the past few years and just haven't made the impact needed to fully revive their image. All they're really banking on at this point is that "they're the good guys compared to Nvidia", and sometimes just being the good guy isn't enough. 

Indeed, they are not baseless claims. In fact they make perfect sense and are quite self evident.. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

AMD does not really compete with Nvidia at the high end, the Vega GPUs simply exist to fill in their product lineup. They knew it would not beat the 10 series. 

AMD is the mid tier option, the affordable option. That is their image and it’s that image which is really where the bread and butter of PC gaming is. Not you guys here on the forum buying dual 1080Tis. It’s the 1080p gamers with a $200 GPU budget. 

An MSI rep saying AMD is bad for that was entirely out of line and clearly wrong and is blatant oversight on the part of whoever runs the MSI FB page. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

An MSI rep saying AMD is bad for that was entirely out of line and clearly wrong. 

You do realise that someone having a different way of saying something you don't like doesn't actually make them wrong.  It is actually a very accurate appraisal of the current situations.  Every single AMD card on the market has at least one nvidia card that beats it.   Which means if they want to sell as many cards as they can they need to concentrate their efforts on Nvida,  GPP or not.

Not what I wanted to hear coming from a manufacturer that's meant to remain non bias.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

43 minutes ago, sof006 said:

a manufacturer that's meant to remain non bias.

How so?  doesn't the nature of business mean that you take the course of action that provides the best products and consequently the best returns?

No one cares about GPP, no one cares manufacturers go with the program. People still only buy nvidia because nvidia is all that is and will be recommended by everyone. All this crap will blow over and people will forget the GPP even exists. The gaming brands will all be nvidia only and no one will even mention this stuff at all anymore, and just keep buying nvidia.

Simple prediction and this is going to happen. Even on this forum. That is why no one is talking about what the GPP really is. Just keep quiet and don't draw more attention to it and it will blow over and everyone will forget and just keep on buying nvidia GPU's. By the time AMD releases an actually competitive or even a better GPU then anything nvidia has to offer, no one will care, recommend or buy them because nvidia is gaming and the best and AMD is not. And so the GPP goals will have been achieved.

All this will result in a xx60 for $900-$1000 of course. As that is also one of the goals. AMD cards will be faster/same for half the price of course but its not nvidia so no one will care. Damn i'm so hoping i'm wrong. pretty sure i'm not though. Nvidia is kind of like apple that way, no matter what they do ppl will buy the crap out of them.

I have no signature

13 minutes ago, Helly said:

No one cares about GPP, no one cares manufacturers go with the program. People still only buy nvidia because nvidia is all that is and will be recommended by everyone. All this crap will blow over and people will forget the GPP even exists. The gaming brands will all be nvidia only and no one will even mention this stuff at all anymore, and just keep buying nvidia.

Simple prediction and this is going to happen. Even on this forum. That is why no one is talking about what the GPP really is. Just keep quiet and don't draw more attention to it and it will blow over and everyone will forget and just keep on buying nvidia GPU's. By the time AMD releases an actually competitive or even a better GPU then anything nvidia has to offer, no one will care, recommend or buy them because nvidia is gaming and the best and AMD is not. And so the GPP goals will have been achieved.

All this will result in a xx60 for $900-$1000 of course. As that is also one of the goals. AMD cards will be faster/same for half the price of course but its not nvidia so no one will care. Damn i'm so hoping i'm wrong. pretty sure i'm not though. Nvidia is kind of like apple that way, no matter what they do ppl will buy the crap out of them.

I think you under estimate the enthusiasts, unlike apple who sell largely to the general public, people who buy GPU's are either enthusiasts who already know what they want and what the current cards do or they are on forums asking which card to buy.   Very few people buy or reccomend a GPU because of brand alone.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Every single AMD card on the market has at least one nvidia card that beats it.   Which means if they want to sell as many cards as they can they need to concentrate their efforts on Nvida,  GPP or not.

Nvidia having a card that beats it really isn't the issue though, if we say an RX 580 and a 1060 is roughly equivalent then the fact that a 1070 exists is objectively irrelevant to a buyer who cannot afford a 1070.

That's the failing in only looking at 1080Ti's and then proclaiming AMD has nothing to offer and is inferior, not everyone is a 1080Ti buyer. Nvidia does have the better high end GPU technology and performance but that can only ever matter if you are buying that.

It's all a moot point now anyway since nothing is at baseline pricing and almost no stock of anything, I wouldn't recommend buying a GPU at all, buy a console and wait.

isn't what he said true? aren't Nvidia cards better in general, even in the Polaris range, if you ask 480 vs 1060 people will go "buy the 1060 similar performance less power consumption", is it a lie?

I guess people are jumping on the MSI guy because he said what everyone knows it's true. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nvidia having a card that beats it really isn't the issue though, if we say an RX 580 and a 1060 is roughly equivalent then the fact that a 1070 exists is objectively irrelevant to a buyer who cannot afford a 1070.

That's the failing in only looking at 1080Ti's and then proclaiming AMD has nothing to offer and is inferior, not everyone is a 1080Ti buyer. Nvidia does have the better high end GPU technology and performance but that can only ever matter if you are buying that.

It's all a moot point now anyway since nothing is at baseline pricing and almost no stock of anything, I wouldn't recommend buying a GPU at all, buy a console and wait.

As I said before, even if a card has only 3 FPS average on another then that card will get recommended more.  That seems to be trend across all forums.   The fact that prices are all over the place only adds to this because when you can't find two shops at the same price, then the recommendations will centre more around performance than MSRP. 

A good example of this is the 580 that tends to get recommended over the 1060 more often (we are only talking 5-10 FPS difference) and people tend to gloss over the cost/power draw arguments. 

9 minutes ago, asus killer said:

isn't what he said true? aren't Nvidia cards better in general, even in the Polaris range, if you ask 480 vs 1060 people will go "buy the 1060 similar performance less power consumption", is it a lie?

I guess people are jumping on the MSI guy because he said what everyone knows it's true. 

Probably not so much because it's true, but more because interpreting it in that way supports their GPP concerns.  And that's a good excuse to sharpen pitchforks.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Probably not so much because it's true, but more because interpreting it in that way supports their GPP concerns.  And that's a good excuse to sharpen pitchforks.

The MSI guy is an idiot (sorry for that), has no diplomacy. Still at least he's honest. They are put in a position between AMD and Nvidia but it's not his fault it's a duopoly or Nvidia has so much power in the market. That is actually our fault for preferring the better product and AMD's for not making a more compelling product.

Their market (MSI's) is actually very competitive, they aren't the problem.

sharpening the pitchforks for the honest dude on the competitive market is stupid. Go after Nvidia if you like.