MSI's Facebook representative throws shade at AMD graphics cards [Update]

Skanky Sylveon

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/25/msi-is-saying-some-crazy-things-about-amd-graphics-cards/#463ab4811658

MSI Gaming's official Facebook page for India has struck out against AMD Radeon graphics cards, saying that "Nvidia currently are ahead in the GPU experience" and suggesting the competition is sub-par.

Whether the competition is sub-par or not isn't the issue here, and it by no means justifies potentially anti consumer practices.

Also, keep in mind that the landscape can change in a matter of a couple of years, this would be a potential "shoot yourself in the foot" move.

Later in the comment thread, the rep for MSI's Facebook page is asked "Does this programme mean you won't be making anymore AMD graphic cards in the future and your laptop/desktop models will be entirely NVIDIA GPUs?" Their response: "if its up par with performance, MSI will definitely be able to do so."

Well that's fucking great!  I find this statement a bit odd though, especially coming from MSI.

MSI had the largest selection of Ryzen motherboards when the platform fires came out.  That should say something about MSI's opinion about the company.

while that may be in regards to AMD's CPU's only, it still doesn't make sense for me.

Although I would like to point out another quote from the article.

First of all, this is obviously not a corporate-approved statement and is written by someone unprofessionally injecting their personal opinion into the mix.

Keep that in mind, this person is probably not stating MSI's opinion as a whole.

Still, it is posted by someone running this page, hired by MSI to do so. Certainly taboo in the PR world, and an even larger red flag considering Nvidia and its partners are keeping so quiet about this "transparent" program.

But definitely keep this in mind as well.  This is unprofessional at best.  Although the statements may very well give us a glimpse on what Nvidia is trying to do.

Image for reference:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

UPDATE:

Thanks to @Ryujin2003 for providing the information.

MSI responded to the Facebook post.

https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-apologizes-for-disparaging-amd-in-favor-of-nvidia-on-facebook/

"We apologize for making an inappropriate comment. It did not represent MSI's official views," MSI said.

Not surprising, not sure if they are sincere, or if they are doing damage control.

Adding to the mystery are reports that MSI had previously removed all Gaming X branded Radeon cards from its website, which sparked the inquiry on Facebook and subsequent drama. We don't know how long they might have been absent, but as of this writing, MSI is showing Radeon cards with its Gaming X brand, such as this Radeon RX 580 Gaming X+ 8G. There are no custom versions of the Vega 56 or 64, however.

After taking a look at MSI's website, I can confirm that there are Gaming X branded Radeon GPUs

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-GAMING-X-Plus-8G

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-570-GAMING-X-4G

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-480-GAMING-X-8G

No Gaming X Vega cards, but i'm not sure if MSI made custom Vega cards in the first place.

#BetterRed

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I was kind of surprised when i saw this tweet a few days ago tbh . It's nice that they be called out for it

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Someone posted this in general discussion a couple days ago.

The key word here is a rep who didnt have a corporate approved opinion. They would never say something like that.

Besides, lets be honest, the 580/480 trade blows with a 1060 which is the most commonly bought level of card. and they're at the same price point. Vega's a bit of a trainwreck but when the price comes down its trading with the 1070/80. High end they might be nonexistent but not sub par

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

I don't see what the issue is, they called them anti consumer and it was replied to with essentially we can't afford to side against Nvidia atm as they are in the lead. Then added they will use anything amd that is on par, what is wrong with that? Why would you want to cripple yourself needlessly just to cater to a lesser market share when it was clear from the getgo your direct competition wasn't, its not like the minimal amount of good PR would benefit them overall.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

High end they might be nonexistent but not sub par

But it's at the high end where gaming brands are placed. You don't associate mid range performance with your top tier gaming platform. If I were running a gaming division, I would devote most of my resources to market the best experience to date rather than a "value" experience. If AMD doesn't have what it takes to be competitive in the high end, well they can get downgraded to the parent branding. 

It's like when people see the words ROG, they think top tier performance, enthusiast class. Not mid range peasant hardware (yes I said peasant cause that's what we really are at the mid range). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't see what the issue is, they called them anti consumer and it was replied to with essentially we can't afford to side against Nvidia atm as they are in the lead. Then added they will use anything amd that is on par, what is wrong with that? Why would you want to cripple yourself needlessly just to cater to a lesser market share when it was clear from the getgo your direct competition wasn't, its not like the minimal amount of good PR would benefit them overall.

So, a program that pushes manufactures to not produce cards for the competition, thus limiting consumer choice isn't anti consumer?

If there is no consumer demand, then fine, don't produce the hardware.  But if there is demand, and you have a company that's said hardware's competition trying to shut down those sales, then yes, that's anti consumer and monopolistic.

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's like when people see the words ROG, they think top tier performance, enthusiast class. Not mid range peasant hardware (yes I said peasant cause that's what we really are at the mid range). 

Personally I just associate ROG, GAMING, AUROS, whatever series with a higher quality card. I mean, you can buy a strix 560 or 1050ti, and same with the other series. That might be their high end gaming series of cards, but they go all the way down to budget products.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

The grammar in it is fucking hilarious... The MSI rep should get fired just on the basis of not knowing basic grammar xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

The grammar in it is fucking hilarious... The MSI rep should get fired just on the basis of not knowing basic grammar xD

Are you honestly expecting perfect English grammar from MSI India? If you want to fault their response, by all means, but lets not get that petty.

@ topic, I don't really follow the logic behind the removal of "gaming" branding creating a monopoly. I get the general disdain towards GPP, but the cards having the word "gaming" on the box doesn't really impact the performance of the product. It might impact sales of the product, but ultimately that would hurt the add in boards partners more than anything if they cannibalize half of their branding for the sake of one manufacturer. It's certainly their choice to do so, but whether or not it ends up biting them in the end will be entirely up for the market to decide.

I certainly don't expect AMD to suffer all that much, given how little the gaming segment actually brings in for their GPU's. We all know miners won't care what's on the box, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

15 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

Personally I just associate ROG, GAMING, AUROS, whatever series with a higher quality card. I mean, you can buy a strix 560 or 1050ti, and same with the other series. That might be their high end gaming series of cards, but they go all the way down to budget products.

I buy for the brand and the better than reference cooler,whichever one that has the best price to performance as well. The flashy name or fancier box doesn't matter to me that much. I'd assume the MSI rep isn't allowed to post on the social media page any more at the least, their statement just adds more fuel to all these speculations.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I buy for the brand and the better than reference cooler,whichever one that has the best price to performance as well. The flashy name or fancier box doesn't matter to me that much.

Yep; and after a year, two or three of AMD GPUs not getting quite the same benefits of premium cooling from their top brands, you can expect that slippery slope to have further reaching effect upon AMDs GPUs general image.  These companies are likely to invest the 'make for moar better' stuff on their highest grossing premium brands and skimp on their other brand names.

I'll be fairly skeptical of AIBs whom aren't exclusive and would absolutely wait for a buildzoid tear-down & analysis.  I'd also care less about benchmarks for upcoming releases since board component quality and product longevity becomes the new big question mark as the need to assess the quality of new brands arises.  Brand names are worth a lot of money for a reason, and kicking their competition down to the bottom of the stairs and forcing them to build a new brand names from scratch is a pretty serious blow.

Technically they are correct, AMD doesn't have anything competing with the 1080ti, titan XP, titan X pascal, titan V, etc...

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal about this, someone said X is better than Y, maybe you disagree with their opinion, why does it matter?

This is not "saying some crazy things" or "anti-consumer practices"

Typical internet overreaction from a vocal minority.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

So, a program that pushes manufactures to not produce cards for the competition, thus limiting consumer choice isn't anti consumer?

1 the program does not ban production of AMD cards, 2 there is no limitation of consumer choice in terms of hardware design just aesthetic design which overall isn't a limit of choice it is just an exploitation of normie stupidity, which is on nvidia not msi.

As for whether or not it is anti competitive/consumer from a legal perspective it isn't from what I've seen, questionable and very much near the line but not over it. As for a subjective perspective it can be seen as such but subjectiveness is irrelevant in this scenario given the state of the market, the minimal hit in PR this will bring is irrelevant overall to Nvidia.

Regardless of its legal status the situation isn't MSI's fault and ultimately blaming the partners will not trigger the desired response, this whole situation with these comments is overblown.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/25/msi-is-saying-some-crazy-things-about-amd-graphics-cards/#463ab4811658

Whether the competition is sub-par or not isn't the issue here, and it by no means justifies potentially anti consumer practices.

Also, keep in mind that the landscape can change in a matter of a couple of years, this would be a potential "shoot yourself in the foot" move.

Well that's fucking great!  I find this statement a bit odd though, especially coming from MSI.

MSI had the largest selection of Ryzen motherboards when the platform fires came out.  That should say something about MSI's opinion about the company.

while that may be in regards to AMD's CPU's only, it still doesn't make sense for me.

Although I would like to point out another quote from the article.

Keep that in mind, this person is probably not stating MSI's opinion as a whole.

But definitely keep this in mind as well.  This is unprofessional at best.  Although the statements may very well give us a glimpse on what Nvidia is trying to do.

Image for reference:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

Just saw this was coming here to post it as well. It's sad looking at MSI after drinking the GPP Kool aid.

I guess if his definition of PAR for a GPU is the nvidia GPU then AMD cards would be subpar.      I mean let's be honest there is a reason Nvidia have the lions share of the market and only fools think it's because people buy blindly.    If I was starting up a GPU business I would be promoting the product that requires the least amount of marketing too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

AMD cards are pretty bad though. I bought an RX 480 originally for my PC but would get dips down to like 15-20 fps in fallout 4. I wrote a nasty email to ASUS, returned the card to NCIX and got an EVGA GTX 970SSC for the same price and boom everything runs perfect, like magic. 

there really is no competition I can see in graphics cards. My experience tells me that there is no use in directly comparing specifications 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

If there is no consumer demand, then fine, don't produce the hardware.  But if there is demand, and you have a company that's said hardware's competition trying to shut down those sales, then yes, that's anti consumer and monopolistic.

You can still produce cards for AMD under GPP. It's just that brands like ROG or Lightning become Nvidia specific and cannot be used for AMD cards.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

#BetterRed

That's right, BetterRed!  No, wait, red means communism.  BetterDeadThanRed!  But wait, I really like AMD cards.  BetterRedDeadThan?  ThanBetterDeadRed?  I......but....I just....I mean.....I can't.......

I'M SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW!

16 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

I bought an RX 480 originally for my PC but would get dips down to like 15-20 fps in fallout 4.

That's odd, because the 480 is fairly equivalent to my R9 390, which doesn't experience dips like that.  I'm betting it was either a faulty card (which happens from time to time), inferior cooling (which would be on Asus, not AMD) or bad drivers (which would be on AMD, but could be fixed in a future update).

1 hour ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Time to troll MSI reps

Try to sell product but it's wrong to suggest product on the basis of brand.

In this case, it's kinda wrong to suggest that AMD cards are absolutely garbage and Nvidia cards are trillions of times faster, when that's far from reality.

Yeah AMD's still behind. But it's not the worst thing in the world.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Time to troll MSI reps

Try to sell product but it's wrong to suggest product on the basis of brand.

In this case, it's kinda wrong to suggest that AMD cards are absolutely garbage and Nvidia cards are trillions of times faster, when that's far from reality.

Yeah AMD's still behind. But it's not the worst thing in the world.

There is a big difference between "subpar" and "absolute garbage".  No where did this guy (MSI rep or not) claim that AMD were absolute garbage. Also from a marketing and sales perspective, only a marginal difference in performance can equate to quite the difference in product sales.    People are investing way to much emotion into this. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

There is a big difference between "subpar" and "absolute garbage".  No where did this guy (MSI rep or not) claim that AMD were absolute garbage. Also from a marketing and sales perspective, only a marginal difference in performance can equate to quite the difference in product sales.    People are investing way to much emotion into this. 

Yeah I suppose. Just subpar I guess in the eyes of a consumer may mean they want to avoid that card at all cost.

It just seems kinda dishonest to call AMD subpar to any of Nvidia's offerings.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

1 the program does not ban production of AMD cards, 2 there is no limitation of consumer choice in terms of hardware design just aesthetic design which overall isn't a limit of choice it is just an exploitation of normie stupidity, which is on nvidia not msi.

24 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You can still produce cards for AMD under GPP. It's just that brands like ROG or Lightning become Nvidia specific and cannot be used for AMD cards.

Unless MSI's Facebook rep is an idiot (a large possibility of that being true) then their badly worded response to Pj Gowtham may tell us something that we don't know.

Although admittedly, that's speculation.  So let me rephrase it.

So, a program that pushes manufactures to not produce cards for the competition that has premium branding/design, thus fooling the average Joe customer isn't anti consumer?

As for whether or not it is anti competitive/consumer from a legal perspective it isn't from what I've seen, questionable and very much near the line but not over it. As for a subjective perspective it can be seen as such but subjectiveness is irrelevant in this scenario given the state of the market, the minimal hit in PR this will bring is irrelevant overall to Nvidia.

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, it's going to stir up controversy.

To be frank, I don't consider what's legal to be the end all be all on what's what.  Not to mention I wasn't stating that what Nvidia was doing was illegal.

You stated that "I don't see what the issue is" and I attempted to explain it.  MSI has historically supported AMD pretty well, and if the GPP has any influence on that, then many would consider that to be an issue.

Regardless of its legal status the situation isn't MSI's fault and ultimately blaming the partners will not trigger the desired response, this whole situation with these comments is overblown.

I never said that MSI was the one to blame, I even went as far to say that I found their rep's statement to not align with MSI's actions in the past.

Actually, my previous statements should show that i'm blaming Nvidia more.

9 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yeah I suppose. Just subpar I guess in the eyes of a consumer may mean they want to avoid that card at all cost.

That's exactly what happens, search for recommendations on any two competing cards and overwhelmingly any forum will recommend the card that has an average 3 FPS advantage or slightly cheaper price tag over the other.   MSI know this, they all know this, that is why ever single bit helps to sell a product. It also explains why Nvidia have the market share. 

9 minutes ago, wcreek said:

It just seems kinda dishonest to call AMD subpar to any of Nvidia's offerings.

It's not really dishonest, especially not form a marketing/sales perspective.  Some of us may not like the way it sounds (because it's a subjective expression of an objective condition), but from the top down (how the consumer wants to buy) that's exactly the case.