How to clean up this mess?

JanFrode

Hello. 

I just reinstalled Windows 10, just for the heck of it, and to just clean up stuff..
But before I deleted it, I took a "screenshot" of my documents folder. 
How can I avoid this mess in the future? can't I get like all the game config folders into 1 gaming folder, instead of them all filling up the documents folder?

mess.png

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

That is normal. Most of the game files/saves etc go into those folders. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

When a game goes to install, it usually wants to create it's own folder, like you see. But it does ask you.

Next time, instead of taking the default "C:\video game folder" do something like this instead: "C:\My Game Folder\video game folder" and ensure all subsequent game installs go in the "My Game Folder" directory. That way you will see only 1 game folder, and all the games will be within

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Documents folder is how Windows has decided to arrange general per user stuff. Its up to software devs to decide if they want to use My Games, install folder or something else for those files. Removing files or moving them to other folders will result software not working, any saves lost and software just re-creating those folders. Just leave them there, remove Documents from library listing and forgot it even exists.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv