Samsung 860 SSD Freezing at 100% active time no read write.

So i recently replaced my old SSD which i thought it's dying out because my PC would freeze from time to time and i would have to restart it, sometimes after restart, motherboard wont see SSD so i had to shut down than power up.

But now i am getting weirdly different problem.

I bought Samsung EVO 860 V-Nand 250GB, thinking it's more quality than others and it would work better than crappy Silicon Power SSD i have with Phison controller (i read alot bad about Phison controllers frezzing like i had).

But problem kinda shifted in different direction. Now my PC would sometime have high usage of SSD and at 100% active time in task manager, my PC would freeze and i would be able to do only things that are in memory (example i can't open another explorer window but i can continue watching youtube video) And SSD would stay like that sometimes for 2-3 minutes.

I have 2 very similar builds and one laptop. So what is weird is that my SSD don't freeze out on my laptop, there are some lags when testing it but not freezing.

But my laptop is on SATA2 while my desktop PC's are on SATA3.

So on laptop i can't reach big speed of SSD i can max pull out 250-300MB, there is also Burst mode on this SSD but no benefits on laptop.

On my Desktops however i tried SSD in both PC's and there is Burst Mode to activate, with Burst Mode i can reach speeds of 2.3GB in testings.

I am using AS SSD Benchmark to see what is testing because on Samsung benchmark tools doesn't say what is testing.

AND as soon as it gets to 4k-63Thrd test it starts to freeze and goes to 100% active time and 0 read / write speed and 0ms response.

Desktop PC's are both AMD configurations, one is Gigabyte ga990x mobo and other is MSI 970 gaming

Laptop is Toshiba Qosmio with Intel.

So i am not sure is this SSD problem, or AMD controller problem or motherboards problem. 

Maybe AMD controller can't go that fast with concurent read/writes, maybe SSD is broken and with many concurent read/writes it blocks, that would explain why it's not freezing on Laptop, because it can't reach high speeds.

In other hand i tested old SSD and it's not freezing like that on my Desktops, but if it's controller that can't handle high speeds that would explain old SSD not freezing because it's max read / write are 300MB and 150MB.

So i don't know should i RMA SSD or not.

Capture2.JPG

How did you install windows when you replaced your old ssd?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There's samsung magician software that migrates windows from one drive to another. But even if i did not boot windows from samsung ssd it performed the same. So i booted from old ssd and tested samsung ssd it was the same, i even booted linux with usb flash. And tested, samsung was freezing pc. But is it freezing because its bad or because not compatible with sata controller on amd mobo.

• 4 years later...
On 3/23/2018 at 11:22 PM, lonerunner said:

There's samsung magician software that migrates windows from one drive to another. But even if i did not boot windows from samsung ssd it performed the same. So i booted from old ssd and tested samsung ssd it was the same, i even booted linux with usb flash. And tested, samsung was freezing pc. But is it freezing because its bad or because not compatible with sata controller on amd mobo.

Sadly I'm still having this same issue, looks like no resolution.

I have an FX-8350 on a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P, I actually have another motherboard compatible with this CPU which is better too, but I don't feel like rebuilding the PC to find out if its the controller.

I made sure to be plugged into the first SATA slot, tried different cables I had lying around. The freezing is pretty annoying, but luckily it doesn't effect games too much as the computer still seems to operate with whatevers in RAM. Its kinda cool watching program after program slowly crash as it tries to pull data off storage before the operating system itself crashes & then suddenly all comes back to life as everything unfreezes. Though it would be cooler to actually fix it.