Budget Phone Ideas?

Aubinstein

I am looking for a phone for 300$ or under. I have not had a smartphone for over a couple years. I am good with either Android or IOS. Any help is appreciated! I really like the new small bezel smartphones!

19 minutes ago, Aubinstein said:

I am looking for a phone for 300$ or under. I have not had a smartphone for over a couple years. I am good with either Android or IOS. Any help is appreciated!

Xiaomi's phones are really good for their prices.

Just now, Its Not Important said:

any in specific?

Just now, Aubinstein said:

any in specific?

Just now, Its Not Important said:

I really like the small bezels on the new phones!

5 minutes ago, Aubinstein said:

A lot of storage space would be nice

I hear the Nokia 2 is fairly decent in the budget range. It comes with 8gb but you can use the savings on a 128gb sd card. Since you're using it for media then it doesn't need to be installed to the system storage. The benefit is that it's getting the Oreo update.

Otherwise you'd go up to something like an Honor 6x + add an sd card. Basically just get a medium phone and then add storage.

14 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

I hear the Nokia 2 is fairly decent in the budget range. It comes with 8gb but you can use the savings on a 128gb sd card. Since you're using it for media then it doesn't need to be installed to the system storage. The benefit is that it's getting the Oreo update.

Otherwise you'd go up to something like an Honor 6x + add an sd card. Basically just get a medium phone and then add storage.

what do you think about a 64 gb iphone 6s vs Honor 7x

17 minutes ago, Aubinstein said:

what do you think about a 64 gb iphone 6s vs Honor 7x

Idk much about IOS. I do know the older iPhones still have the battery issues over time (reduced performance via system updates) and I don't know how big of an issue that is today.

Honor 7x, forgot that one. They're the best price and performance in the midrange so whichever fits your budget you'll be happy with. I have an Honor 8 but no announcement on if we get Oreo or not. 7x may since it's newer. We'll see though.

If you're in the US, Xiamoi phones don't exactly work with the cellular bands. 

You said you've like the small bezels. If you're in the US, I recommend the Huawei Mate SE. 

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Mate-Factory-Unlocked-5-93/dp/B0791VS3N9

It's only $250. It's completely identical to the US Honor 7X, but it has 64GB of storage and 4GB. 

If you're outside the US, I recommend Xiaomi.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, MaxBunny said:

Idk much about IOS. I do know the older iPhones still have the battery issues over time (reduced performance via system updates) and I don't know how big of an issue that is today.

Honor 7x, forgot that one. They're the best price and performance in the midrange so whichever fits your budget you'll be happy with. I have an Honor 8 but no announcement on if we get Oreo or not. 7x may since it's newer. We'll see though.

The 7x already is in beta for Oreo. Although if the OP is going to buy the 7x, I'd recommend the Huawei Mate SE. Has 4 gb of ram instead of 3, and has a few extra features that I currently don't know of for sheer laziness. It costs about 20-30 bucks more. As for the Honor 8, I honestly wouldn't recommend it anymore for the average person, unless you don't care software updates and just want a consistent feel in android.

I've got the T-Mobile Revvl, it's a phone made by Alcatel. It's got a nice screen and an SMT quad core MTK CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 32G onboard storage with an SD card slot.

I actually have three of them but two are for-parts. I have a lot of experience with mobile repair.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

On 3/30/2018 at 6:41 PM, dieegoperi said:

Xiaomi smartphones are awesome too,

Awesome is not a synonym for "trash"

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

1 hour ago, dieegoperi said:

phones with the best quality/price on the market since the last 2-3 years

You mean HTC? Also you don't need to act like a pretentious douche to get your point across.

Moto G5 Plus, Good old reliable Moto. Highly recommend it 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Redmi note 5 pro. You need to import it if you live in the USA like me. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

Awesome is not a synonym for "trash"

Why? Xiaomi make the best phones you cant buy. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Boost Mobile sells the Motorola Moto E4 for 50 USD, or a bit higher from other companies. It's a great phone if you don't use very hardware-demanding programs, like 3d rendering.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I have the LG G6, which is an Android. I got it for just under 500 USD, but it's MSRP is around 650 USD. It's an excellent phone for mobile gaming. When I say it's good, I mean it's GOOD, if you're willing to spend a a few extra dollars.

In my opinion, DO NOT go with iphone. Apple is sneaky with the way they do phones. It's not a secret that they purposely slow down older models to "improve battery life". I'm not entirely sure that this is the truth, but whatever. Android is definitely the way to go. Besides, Android is much more user friendly.

4 hours ago, PareBot said:

I have the LG G6, which is an Android. I got it for just under 500 USD, but it's MSRP is around 650 USD. It's an excellent phone for mobile gaming. When I say it's good, I mean it's GOOD, if you're willing to spend a a few extra dollars.

In my opinion, DO NOT go with iphone. Apple is sneaky with the way they do phones. It's not a secret that they purposely slow down older models to "improve battery life". I'm not entirely sure that this is the truth, but whatever. Android is definitely the way to go. Besides, Android is much more user friendly.

greatly depends on what brand you look at lol.

• 1 month later...

So for me, I would recommend the Huawei Mate SE. It's a $250-ish phone, has great battery life, dual cameras ( which are pretty nice ), 18:9 aspect ratio, 2160x1080 ips display, 4GB of ram, 64GB of storage ( max upgrade to be 256GB ), very fast fingerprint scanner, and more great things. So that's what I recommend. Hope you found this helpful.

huawei mate 9

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

iPhone SE at $349 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Check out your local Costco. They got some decent unlocked phones for sale. Samsung Galaxy A5 for example is a nice device. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 4/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, wasab said:

Why? Xiaomi make the best phones you cant buy. 

Subjectively, sure, but objectively the "best phone you can buy" doesn't exist anymore, and probably won't ever exist because manufacturers aren't going to go back to making user-upgradeable devices with removable batteries unless legally required to do so by law.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)