Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by PopsicleHustler,

I'm currently using this board with R5 1600 and I don't have issues with it. Running small OC at 3.6Ghz with stock voltage and RAM in XMP mode at 2933Mhz.

So a friend of mine is building a new PC and this  Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard is the board he chose, after reading a bit more on ryzen he got concerned about all the posts with people having issues with bios' and what not and asked me if theres any issues with this board.  I don't have any Ryzen experience so was wondering if any of you guys know if this board is good or not, or could recommend a better board for the same or lower price?

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

I had that board for several months before going up to X370. It had an occasional issue with the system powering up, POSTing, then not booting into Windows or putting out any display. It's related to RAM compatibility, so I'd assume it's gotten better with each BIOS release.

Check the power delivery. If you find a cheaper board with as good or better VRMs, buy that instead. VRMs on B350 boards can be problematic.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

19 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

So a friend of mine is building a new PC and this  Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard is the board he chose, after reading a bit more on ryzen he got concerned about all the posts with people having issues with bios' and what not and asked me if theres any issues with this board.  I don't have any Ryzen experience so was wondering if any of you guys know if this board is good or not, or could recommend a better board for the same or lower price?

The ASrock Pro4/M is fine and probably cheaper, that board is going to be fine though.

Did he already buy it? 

If not Ryzen 2 launches April 19th and he should just wait for that because X470 boards will be out with it.

What CPU was he going to get? Well just what are the specs of the system and the budget/country? Would not advise buying a GPU right now.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Id get the Asrock killer X370 for a little more maybe about the same, I think it's more phases they say it's a 12 phase. Pretty good for that well into overkill for that chip.

and well I just like Asrock too, Nothing Wrong with Asus...but don't expect a whole lot of features with a B board.

1 minute ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I was under the impression all B350 boards have shit VRMs.

Yeah was my assumption what I thought too was kinda shitty on the B boards...and bad enough some people are like I got a shitty chip 1700x and it don't go past 3.6-3.7ghz...lol

I'm currently using this board with R5 1600 and I don't have issues with it. Running small OC at 3.6Ghz with stock voltage and RAM in XMP mode at 2933Mhz.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Thy World Shall be Intel Lol Pretty much man me lol, Probably actually better off putting together some of the lower end Intel stuff and just running that lol

Team Blue and Green just always had the Force...I'm gonna convert you lol

17 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I was under the impression all B350 boards have shit VRMs.

Chipset doesn't determine what has a good VRM, most X370 boards also suck

B350 boards like the ASrock Pro4 are fine because they're also cheap, have an OC'd R7 1700 running on one right now.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Chipset doesn't determine what has a good VRM, most X370 boards also suck

B350 boards like the ASrock Pro4 are fine because they're also cheap, have an OC'd R7 1700 running on one right now.

Well shit. Are Ryzen 2 boards in the making or no since they are backwards compatible? Even though it's 8 months away I plan on building a Ryzen or Ryzen 2 system. Black Friday/Cyber Monday had soooo many good deals at one time. 

29 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Well shit. Are Ryzen 2 boards in the making or no since they are backwards compatible? Even though it's 8 months away I plan on building a Ryzen or Ryzen 2 system. Black Friday/Cyber Monday had soooo many good deals at one time. 

Except the killer didn't look that bad or cheap and saying 12 phase that's good for that.  Id buy that, could clock the 1600x on it...see how that runs...I have no idea according to and going by benches it looks like some capable cpu's Ryzen. 

Go with Asus then they have quite the following right now, a lot liked those strix series.. 

14 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

x470 will launch with Ryzen 2, they should be fully backwards compatible

Did you already buy a board? Bad move if so.

Spoiler

On 3/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, Streetguru said:

x470 will launch with Ryzen 2, they should be fully backwards compatible

Did you already buy a board? Bad move if so.

Didn't buy a board knowing all the issues when Ryzen launched. Sounds like I made the right choice in waiting for the upcoming sales.