Logan's Audio vid.

AraSarkisyan

an external dac is and always will be a better option than a internal sound card. There is just to much stuff in a pc that can cause interference. And also your typical dac is built with much better components than a internal sound card. You only ever see sound cards use cheap electrolytic capacitors where most decent quality dac's will use metalized poly caps and/or ceramic caps.

Capacitor materials have almost nothing to do with sound quality.

Not sure why capacitor type is a measurement of quality now. I even saw the Facebook post by corsair with their article on capacitors. What they said and I'm saying is that capacitors don't really matter as long as they work. There are much more complex things in a circuit to be worried about other than what type of cap it uses.

holy crap, the amount of ego on this topic is overflowing.. People calm down about this crap, if you're on an extremely tight budget then I'm sure a soundcard over dollar store onboard audio can benefit some people, if you just need an amp, or some of the features that come with them.

But yes, as in all things in life: There is always a better alternative. So please people, stop arguing over this video, it's getting kinda old now. 

I'm sure most of what's said in this video is true, but in certain situations, a 20$ sound card may help some people, and some people it may not help.

When Logan and @MayflowerElectronics made this video, I don't think this is how they wanted it to be used, to be-little people and start huge arguments online.  I think they were just trying to save people from spending tons of money for a diminishing return.

I bought a xonar phoebus awhile back when I built my comp, to power my ad-900x's and while I did notice a large improvement over onboard, after buying a fiio e3+ fiio d5 to use my headphones with my xbox, I tried using it with my pc as-well. I noticed NO difference, from 40$ worth of equipment compared to a 200$ sound card.  I've sold it since then and will be upgrading to an o2+odac soon, and probably buying higher end headphones someday.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Not sure why capacitor type is a measurement of quality now. I even saw the Facebook post by corsair with their article on capacitors. What they said and I'm saying is that capacitors don't really matter as long as they work. There are much more complex things in a circuit to be worried about other than what type of cap it uses.

My thought on this is that the quality of the caps can matter if you'll be using the device in 30 years. My stereo amp from 197x has blown caps and you can hear it. But this is quite besides the point. What you mean is that if you used super expensive caps in the o2 there'd be no audible difference?

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I bought a xonar phoebus awhile back when I built my comp, to power my ad-900x's 

The AD900x is only 38 ohms...

My thought on this is that the quality of the caps can matter if you'll be using the device in 30 years. My stereo amp from 197x has blown caps and you can hear it. But this is quite besides the point. What you mean is that if you used super expensive caps in the o2 there'd be no audible difference?

Technology from 30 years ago is irrelevant, and 30 years in the future today's technology is irrelevant. Expensive isn't always better, especially with audio products.

The AD900x is only 38 ohms...

and the phoebus can power 0-300 ohm headphones, and like I also said I regret buying it, which is why I sold it.  Thanks captain :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Technology from 30 years ago is irrelevant, and 30 years in the future today's technology is irrelevant. Expensive isn't always better, especially with audio products.

Well if they had had solid caps back then the might might still be in perfect condition.

But I fully understand what you mean sound quality -wise but I feel that the stereo amp is just fine what it does, powers the speakers that I play my vinyls, cds and radio trough.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

and the phoebus can power 0-300 ohm headphones, and like I also said I regret buying it, which is why I sold it.  Thanks captain :P

You need at least 80 ohm impedance headphones to match adequately with any soundcard.

Fuck this video its so wrong.

My computer doesn't have onboard audio so it can't be better than a sound card.

%7Boption%7D

not-sure-if-serious-or-trying-to-be-funn

*snip*

Both :P

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Lol so you have a motherboard from 1998?

I have about 4 :D

well, one is from 1997, and the rest are older

Having designed and built a few of my own amplifiers, i know for a fact that capacitor material/type can have a huge impact is sound quality at least in an analog circuit. When it come to caps used in a digital circuit such as in the circuit that runs the decoder chip in dac's as long as the caps get the job done you are good to go because the analog audio never goes through those caps. That being said, all dac's or sound cards at one point needs an analog output stage so that the signal can be used by headphones or speakers. Also the main problem with the cheaper caps is mostly the higher variation in manufacturing tolerances.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Having designed and built a few of my own amplifiers, i know for a fact that capacitor material/type can have a huge impact is sound quality at least in an analog circuit. When it come to caps used in a digital circuit such as in the circuit that runs the decoder chip in dac's as long as the caps get the job done you are good to go because the analog audio never goes through those caps. That being said, all dac's or sound cards at one point needs an analog output stage so that the signal can be used by headphones or speakers. Also the main problem with the cheaper caps is mostly the higher variation in manufacturing tolerances.

Umm no, it doesn't. There is no difference (as long as the farad's are the same as well as voltage) between two different types of capacitors. Reliability may be a different story, but audibly, no.

Umm no, it doesn't. There is no difference (as long as the farad's are the same as well as voltage) between two different types of capacitors. Reliability may be a different story, but audibly, no.

Well then how do explain how a cross over works? Capacitors are used in both the high pass and low pass stages in a speakers cross over and they make quite a difference there don't they? like i said before, only if you have a fully digital circuit will you have a negligible difference between varying quality of caps. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well then how do explain how a cross over works? Capacitors are used in both the high pass and low pass stages in a speakers cross over and they make quite a difference there don't they? like i said before, only if you have a fully digital circuit will you have a negligible difference between varying quality of caps.

Again, no. The TYPE of capacitor wouldn't matter. It's the design and using the correct capacitor that matters.

Again, no. The TYPE of capacitor wouldn't matter. It's the design and using the correct capacitor that matters.

so then tel me how a variance in a capacitor tolerance can in no way affect the circuit that it is used in. Cheap caps ratings can vary 15% or more from what they are rated at from the manufacture. so a 47 uf cap could really be around 40-54 uf. That tolerance can make a big difference. Also how do you think high quality amps can have such a low noise floor? Its because they use high quality capacitors in the stiffening stage in the power supply to get rid of any ac ripple.

so then tel me how a variance in a capacitor tolerance can in no way affect the circuit that it is used in. Cheap caps ratings can vary 15% or more from what they are rated at from the manufacture. so a 47 uf cap could really be around 40-54 uf. That tolerance can make a big difference. Also how do you think high quality amps can have such a low noise floor? Its because they use high quality capacitors in the stiffening stage in the power supply to get rid of any ac ripple.

.... That's tolerance not material type. Two different things.

And actually, most of the caps in the o2 are 15% tolerance, and has a completely inaudible noise floor at any level.

Who likes sound cards with IDE interfaces?

TBH, I would love to get a GUS

Gravis_Ultrasound_Max.jpg

Errmm so..where's the picture of the headphones and soundcard? still can't find the tools in the garage?

Errmm so..where's the picture of the headphones and soundcard? still can't find the tools in the garage?

Cheap case, doesn't have a side panel, has to get the jig saw out to remove the welded on panels. 

EmoRarity, on 02 Jan 2014 - 6:25 PM, said:

Cheap case, doesn't have a side panel, has to get the jig saw out to remove the welded on panels. 

Hahaha. Double stitched welding for best inteference shield. I thought of a joke that his parents still haven't woke up since the 20th December night but that might sound a bit wrong. LOL

Hahaha. Double stitched welding for best inteference shield. I thought of a joke that his parents still haven't woke up since the 20th December night but that might sound a bit wrong. LOL

"They're dead, Jim"