Are ultra wide monitors any good for gaming?

SM Phoo

Hey guys. Was looking at buying an Asus PG278Q for gaming but yesterday was offered an Acer z35 at a good price. 

It’s everything I need/want in a monitor but I’m really not sure how good the ultra wide aspect will be. 

I’ll be playing mostly games like fallout and FPS games like Cod etc. 

On top of that I’ve gone for an 8700k and a 1080ti gpu so what performance should I expect when playing at 2k res?

(new to pc gaming)

thanks

performance wise youshould be able to play 2K ultrawide no problem. you should even be able to play 4K with that setup :P

now the experience depends mostly on how the game scales to the new aspect ratio. some games simply zoom in to allow the picture to fill the screen. this is usually done on competetive titles so you don't have an advantage over standard aspect ratio monitors.

single player games tend to just render a wider area, and fill out the screen that way. this ofcourse makes for a much more immersive experience.

When you say zoom in. Does that mean the edges of both side will be black or zoomed in meaning you’d lose some height of the screen?

thanks

32 minutes ago, SM Phoo said:

When you say zoom in. Does that mean the edges of both side will be black or zoomed in meaning you’d lose some height of the screen?

thanks

again, that really depends on the game. usually it will zoom in like this: 

Naamloos.thumb.png.c1e67797b1fbd0b82eb3c939659e9795.png

Again thanks for the response. The bit that really worries me then is when playing certain games it’ll cut off some of the height of the image to fit the screen. 

9 hours ago, SM Phoo said:

Again thanks for the response. The bit that really worries me then is when playing certain games it’ll cut off some of the height of the image to fit the screen. 

Most of the modern games will add extra FOV, even older games will (with hex editing or downloading replace files) will work fine by adding extra FOV. Yet some games will simply stretch/zoom image to bring it to 21:9, but thats uncommon. You need to do a bit of homework before buying 21:9 monitor, see youtube videos, ask others who play certain games in 21:9 and how they like it. I know Blizzard games like Overwatch had problems running in 21:9 because blizzard refuses to add native support claiming that it gives players unfair advantage.

From experience can say that its worth buying 21:9 monitor. Extra side FOV gives amazing gaming experience. 

Here is a nice video showing advantages and instance of zooming in of ultrawide 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

ultrawide gaming is good when it works but can some times be a pain spending more time getting it to work on in-supported games which are mostley comp games like Overwatch and csgo. When it works is awesome though, I had the x34 for about 6 months and it was great when it worked.

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8