Trying to build my first PC

Should I get the i5 8400 and the new budget motherboards that are supposed to come out soon or would it be worth the wait to get the next generation of CPUs

Current build plan:

• gtx 1050ti (already bought)
  • i5 8400
  • b360m motherboard
  • corsair cx550m
  • 16gb ddr4 2133Mhz (already bought)
  • samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd (all the space i'll need)

Thanks in advance :) 

By next generation, you're talking about Ryzen 2000? 9th gen wont be coming for a very long while.

Do NOT buy the 8400 before non-Z mobos come out.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

That is a solid gaming build. The next gen CPUs won't really give you too much of a performance boost unless you're streaming/editing.

22 minutes ago, MyDogAteMySocks said:

The R5 1600 and Upcoming R5 2600 on April 19th are going to be better buys than the i5 8400, 6 cores 12 threads at the same price point.

Can buy one now with an ASrock Pro4 on the cheap, or better yet wait for X470 motherboards.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

The R5 1600 and Upcoming R5 2600 on April 19th are going to be better buys than the i5 8400, 6 cores 12 threads at the same price point.

Can buy one now with an ASrock Pro4 on the cheap, or better yet wait for X470 motherboards.

He's got 2133 Mhz ram, with how Ryzen's interaction with ram speed it wouldnt be a good move to purchase it. 

2 hours ago, MyDogAteMySocks said:

Should I get the i5 8400 and the new budget motherboards that are supposed to come out soon or would it be worth the wait to get the next generation of CPUs

-snip-

Honestly, at the price point the 8400 is priced considering the specs, I wouldnt hesitate and jump on the opportunity when the budget boards come out

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

1 minute ago, Blackie Sheen said:

He's got 2133 Mhz ram, with how Ryzen's interaction with ram speed it wouldnt be a good move to purchase it. 

Overal shouldn't be too big of a deal for most things, can always potentially return it as well, just another example of never buying your PC in pieces though.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Overal shouldn't be too big of a deal for most things, can always potentially return it as well, just another example of never buying your PC in pieces though.

I mean at the current price of ram nowadays I can kind of understand why he would go for cheaper slower ram in order to save a buck. Also, the 8400 is very capable. Its going to be capable for years to come in terms of gaming and 6 threads is sufficient for traditional multi tasking. Also, the 8400 is priced fairly compared to the current amd offerings

Just now, Blackie Sheen said:

I mean at the current price of ram nowadays I can kind of understand why he would go for cheaper slower ram in order to save a buck. Also, the 8400 is very capable. Its going to be capable for years to come in terms of gaming and 6 threads is sufficient for traditional multi tasking. Also, the 8400 is priced fairly compared to the current amd offerings

But why get only 6 cores vs a 6c/12t option at the same price? Faster RAM generally isn't too much more expensive, and it helps intel systems as well. I was running my R7 1700 at 2400mhz for a while after launch and moving to 3200mhz through XMP after BIOS updates didn't change performance much if any.

The i5 is faster in games overall, buy Ryzen 2 should close that gap nicely.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

But why get only 6 cores vs a 6c/12t option at the same price? Faster RAM generally isn't too much more expensive, and it helps intel systems as well. I was running my R7 1700 at 2400mhz for a while after launch and moving to 3200mhz through XMP after BIOS updates didn't change performance much if any.

The i5 is faster in games overall, buy Ryzen 2 should close that gap nicely.

Well anyway its always a matter of seeing how the products fare. When we will see the I am not saying he should not consider them at all, all I am saying is that another valid option exists and that AMD is not the end all of all budget cpus

3 minutes ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Well anyway its always a matter of seeing how the products fare. When we will see the I am not saying he should not consider them at all, all I am saying is that another valid option exists and that AMD is not the end all of all budget cpus

I mean it kind of is until intel offers the i7 8700 at the same price as the R5 1600, I don't think it's ever worth 10-20% better single thread performance, to lose out on 50% more multi-threaded performance. The Ryzen chip just gives you more options, and potentially gets you a cheaper motherboard with the ASrock Pro4 at $75.

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I mean it kind of is until intel offers the i7 8700 at the same price as the R5 1600, I don't think it's ever worth 10-20% better single thread performance, to lose out on 50% more multi-threaded performance. The Ryzen chip just gives you more options, and potentially gets you a cheaper motherboard with the ASrock Pro4 at $75.

It always depends on loads. If you only game and dont do anything really demanding like video editing, the Ryzen 5 1600 multithreaded performance which shreads basiclaly any intel cpu wont really come into play. Its in that sense that I think he should at least consider the i5 8400. OP still did not say comment on what his pc is used for. Maybe, ryzen is clearly a winner here since he could use the multithreaded performance. Who knows. All I am saying, is that as it stands the value in terms of gaming is higher for the i5 8400 as of right now. The difference margin is not astronomical but is surely measurable

Maybe we'll see the new ryzen gaming performance and it wont be the improvement people expected. I cannot talk about a cpu that hasn't come out yet and start speculating on it. I can only talk about something I can evaluate based on real world performance.