Sennheiser HD 6XX

dome3731

So I bought the SMSL M2 DAC from eBay and a pair of Senhheiser HD 6XXs from massdrop and they don't sound great nor open. Is it my setup or some settings or the headphones possibly?

I have the 650s which those are based on. I know the cans are good. Don't know much about that DAC/Amp combo, but reviews weren't stellar. What exactly is wrong with the sound? Also tagging in @Max_Settings.

Well it doesn't sound much better than the HD668Bs from superlux which I got on eBay for $40.

SMSL M2 isn’t very good. I’d reccomend the FX Audio DAC X6 for the same price. What do you mean they don’t sound open?

The amp/dac doesn't provide enough power for the HD 6XX's to really perform.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Is there anything I can do in the settings to improve them because I think the AMP is powerful enough because they don't sound quiet so I'd say the DAC is the problem.

They're open so they should sound open but the sound doesn't sound like it's coming from outside. I'm thinking of buying a new DAC.

13 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

They're open so they should sound open but the sound doesn't sound like it's coming from outside. I'm thinking of buying a new DAC.

Open does not necessarily equal sound stage. It sounds like your expectations of open headphones need to be managed a bit. That or I'm misinterpreting your meaning of "coming from outside."

Also make sure to quote so that we know who you are talking to and that person gets a notification.

quote.PNG.c018c9fa35a8316e3281032fa3fd9a2a.PNG

Yeah really the one knock on the 6XX is that they don't have great soundstange. They are open and have fantastic sound signature, but it doesn't sound like a room full of music but a little more of two points of sound right next you. 

5 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

Open does not necessarily equal sound stage. It sounds like your expectations of open headphones need to be managed a bit. That or I'm misinterpreting your meaning of "coming from outside."

Also make sure to quote so that we know who you are talking to and that person gets a notification.

quote.PNG.c018c9fa35a8316e3281032fa3fd9a2a.PNG

I thought they would sound open and have a big sound stage and stuff but I'm more worried about the fact they don't sound much better than headphones that are worth like 10 times less than them.

1 minute ago, dome3731 said:

I thought they would sound open and have a big sound stage and stuff but I'm more worried about the fact they don't sound much better than headphones that are worth like 10 times less than them.

Yeah I think that issue may be your DAC/Amp. Have any friends you can test the headphones w/ that have a better setup?

Those headphones are low on my sound stage list. I have some closed back and semi-closed that are wider. That said, even my largest sound stage headphones can be hampered by source material. 

Just now, Densetsu said:

Yeah I think that issue may be your DAC/Amp. Have any friends you can test the headphones w/ that have a better setup?

Those headphones are low on my sound stage list. I have some closed back and semi-closed that are wider. That said, even my largest sound stage headphones can be hampered by source material. 

I have no one to test it with but I could visit this HiFi shop near me and maybe they can tell me if they have any good amps and maybe they can let me test them before I buy them.

1 minute ago, dome3731 said:

I have no one to test it with but I could visit this HiFi shop near me and maybe they can tell me if they have any good amps and maybe they can let me test them before I buy them.

That would be your best bet. Just make sure you consult other sources before buying what they recommend.

1 minute ago, Densetsu said:

That would be your best bet. Just make sure you consult other sources before buying what they recommend.

Okay, thanks. But which DAC would you recommend?

2 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Okay, thanks. But which DAC would you recommend?

What’s your budget for a DAC/Amp. Then M2 isn’t very good. There’s more to an Amp than power. That’s why there’s $2000 Amps that have less power than a $100 Magni 3.

My budget is like $100 or so or more if it's necessary for the headphones.

Just now, dome3731 said:

My budget is like $100 or so or more if it's necessary for the headphones.

Schiit Fulla 2 or Micca Origen G2.

26 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Schiit Fulla 2 or Micca Origen G2.

Which one is better?

59 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

Which DAC would you recommend?

26 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Which one is better?

They are more or less equal. Origen has a few more features and more power.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

They are more or less equal. Origen has a few more features and more power.

I just need them to sound good.

3 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Which DAC would you recommend?

I usually get my recommendations from @Max_Settings.

14 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

I just need them to sound good.

Either will work. But what matters more is what you are using as your source. If you are using MP3s then they aren’t going to sound amazing.