Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1_thing

Laptop for Uni

Either get a chromebook as @tarfeef101 said, or get a refurbished thinkpad x220 (which is a far better computer).

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there lads,

soon ish I will be going to uni and of course taking my main rig with me however I think a laptop would be a good idea as carting round my rig to lectures might be a pain.

I will only really be using it for note taking, presentations and web browsing.

My budged is as cheap as it can be really however I would like it to last me the 4 years so nothing properly s*it

thanks in advance 

thing

If you got a desktop, just get a chromebook.

I actually have a "good" laptop too (i5 6300hq, gtx 950m), but since i got a chromebook i don't use that anymore. there's really nothing you can't do on a chromebook i'd need in class.

Especially if you use crouton or dual boot a full linux distro on it.

(oh yeah the chromebook i have is a samsung series 3, 4GB memory, idk storage cause i got a microsd card for it anyways)

Main Gaming Rig: i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 2400, Modded Corsair 280x Case, Full Soft Watercooling
Second Testbench Rig: i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, RX 580 (air cooled), 16GB DDR3 1866, Thermaltake Core P3 White TG, CPU Soft Watercooling

Third Server Rig: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Fractal Core 500, Full Soft Watercooling

Fourth LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ AGESA pls, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

Fifth Router Rig: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Posted · Best Answer

Either get a chromebook as @tarfeef101 said, or get a refurbished thinkpad x220 (which is a far better computer).

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

In University having access to MS Office is a must in my opinion, unless you want to rely on University's PC clusters for those when you need to do assignments.

I would get a refurbished ThinkPad as @Sauron said.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.6GHz; 1.25v) Cooler:  EVGA CLC 240mm Mobo: Asus Strix B350-i GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 14CL 2x8GB SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB (Windows) SSD1: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB (Linux) SSD2: Samsung QVO 1TB (data) PSUCorsair SF450 Case: NZXT H200i Monitor1ViewSonic XG2401 144Hz 24"

Laptop

Microsoft Surface

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button. 

Spoiler

Other Builds:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 Cooler: Wraith Stealth Mobo: Biostar X370GTN GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB RAM: Corsair LPX 3000MHz 15CL 2x8GB SSD0: Crucial BX500 480GB PSU: Corsair SF450 Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B White

Retired Devices and Inventory:

• Asus NV56 17" (i7-3360QM, NVIDIA GT 650M, DDR3 8GB) laptop
  • Lenovo Thinkpad X220 12" (i5 vPro 2520M, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Samsung DDR3 1300MHz 9CL 2x4GB) laptop
  • Fractal Design Node 202 case

i would honestly get a used windows laptop w/ at least 8gb of ram over any chromebook

even with the limited things you plan to do on your laptop, have a laptop with 8gb of ram will make multitasking easier when needed

i think this is pretty solid and inexpensive machine for the most minimalist person such as yourself; it should last a while but i don't have one myself

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteBook-8470P-Notebook-Professional/dp/B01GW03N6E/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521069000&sr=1-5&keywords=8gb+laptop

A college student recommended a Surface.  He uses the camera to record the lectures and mark it up with notes at the same time, and perform all necessary classwork.