Is this type of parallel loop possible?

Go to solution Solved by Technous285,

I'm running a pair of 980Ti's in SLI and Parallel with my loop and will (once I get some more stuff in so I can work on my rig once again) be using the EK-FC Terminal X2 - Plexi in order to replace the setup using the HD Tube & Adaptors I'm currently using with the stock block terminals that came with my (Maxwell) TitanX/980Ti waterblocks, where coolant comes from pump/res up into GPU 1, pushed up into GPU 2 (monitors card) then falls back down through the return via GPU 1 down to my first radiator (which feeds into my second rad that feeds back into the pump/res).

As can be seen in the following image, the coolant comes from the pump/res towards the GPU's, in through the right port of the lower GPU and out to the radiator via the left port of the lower GPU;

2QsVV2b.jpg

So yes, what you're wanting to do can be done.

Looking around the internet I have seen it but  I'm not sure how good it is.   Basically I have a single Reservoir/pump that deals with one GPU and one Reservoir.  I'm planning to put in a second GPU to do SLI.   My problem is I have seen serial vs parallel work provided you start on one side of the GPUS and come out the other.   I want to go in the bottom of the bottom GPU block and come out on the other port so it would look kinda like this the following.  I think this will work. Would one of the cards not get enough cooing here?  It is different way to cool but I believe it is still possible.  I'd have to go in from the top and have to come out the bottom or vice versa.   Help and thanks.

1.jpg.2df609ababed75769f1e66e42bb391da.jpg

2.jpg.6269a8cda2ed3b227b09424f0b5b4db7.jpg       Inlet is on bottom lower right, water goes through two card parllelly and down and comes out right side of same card.  Does this work?

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

As long as the EK block has a port on the side there than yes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

As long as the EK block has a port on the side there than yes.

Port on the side ? what for?  What would I use a port on the side for?

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Just now, brighttail said:

Port on the side ? what for?  What would I use a port on the side for?

Well you need the port on the side if you want to connect tubing to the side............

Do you think the fluid will magically go through plastic?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm running a pair of 980Ti's in SLI and Parallel with my loop and will (once I get some more stuff in so I can work on my rig once again) be using the EK-FC Terminal X2 - Plexi in order to replace the setup using the HD Tube & Adaptors I'm currently using with the stock block terminals that came with my (Maxwell) TitanX/980Ti waterblocks, where coolant comes from pump/res up into GPU 1, pushed up into GPU 2 (monitors card) then falls back down through the return via GPU 1 down to my first radiator (which feeds into my second rad that feeds back into the pump/res).

As can be seen in the following image, the coolant comes from the pump/res towards the GPU's, in through the right port of the lower GPU and out to the radiator via the left port of the lower GPU;

2QsVV2b.jpg

3 hours ago, Technous285 said:

2QsVV2b.jpg

Awesome!  this is exactly what I want to do.  All the pictures I had seen was where if the loop started at the bottom it would exit through the top, but like you I want it to fill bottom, fill top then come back down on the left side to the reservoir.   This is my rig as it is now.  So if I put the second card in the fourth PCI slot (where the Hyper x16) is. I can just pipe straight across like I have it now, have it go up to the second card and back down to the reservoir like i have it.  Awesome!  Just need two more fittings or get one of those EK waterblocks that does the SLI loop for ya. :)  Thanks!

24.jpg

Looking at how your loops are set up, and how your board is set up, you might have to bite the bullet and have the tube from the pump come down at an angle and feed into a 90° fitting on the underside of the lower GPU's terminal block if you're replacing the Hyper x16 with the second card.

That is unless you can place the new GPU in the slot basically right below the current GPU, in which case you should be able to feed up (via 90° fitting) into the blocks by using a terminal like this one - EK-FC Terminal X2 S - Plexi (looking at your board on the ASUS site, it has the spacing for as-if there was a PCIe slot between the first and second x16 slots, so this would be the terminal you'd need).

Thanks.. right now I got a bigger problem.

I was measuring and slipped and I think I shorted my GPU.

See: