Youtube kicking off Gun Channels, oppurtunity for Floatplane?

Message added by SansVarnic

Currently Locked For Moderation

-= Thread Cleaned =-

If you plan to contribute, contribute to the topic at hand. Arguing and derailing the thread is not allowed per the CS.

This discussion is about YouTube and their practices Not about Politics, Poltics about Guns, Guns, Gun Violence, How to make/sell/acquire weapons, or Saluting.

Please adhere to this or the topic will be locked and warnings issued.

-= Thread Locked =-

Despite the thread cleansing and Posted warning, arguments continue. 

Apparently this is just to controversial of a topic to discuss civilly.

We understand that this topic is of necessary discussion but I believe at this time this topic needs some cool down time before re-engaging in the discussion.

Howdy,

Seems like a good time for Floatplane to go grab some content creators... 

But also, not much longer till "voiding warrantys" videos get banned for not meeting community standards.

How about Floatplane comes out and says they'll host all those naughty videos?  Get the word out about their platform?

(edited to follow forum standards)

Youtube has updated its policy regarding what can be shown.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7667605?hl=en

"YouTube prohibits certain kinds of content featuring firearms. Specifically, we don’t allow content that: 

• Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. These accessories include but may not be limited to accessories that enable a firearm to simulate automatic fire or convert a firearm to automatic fire (e.g., bump stocks, gatling triggers, drop-in auto sears, conversion kits), and high capacity magazines (i.e., magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds).
  • Provides instructions on manufacturing a firearm, ammunition, high capacity magazine, homemade silencers/suppressors, or certain firearms accessories such as those listed above. This also includes instructions on how to convert a firearm to automatic or simulated automatic firing capabilities.
  • Shows users how to install the above-mentioned accessories or modifications."

Link to analysis from an actual website.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/21/youtube-suspends-major-gun-manufacturer-bans-instructional-gun-videos/

The list of prohibited content now includes links to sites that sell firearms, videos that teach installation of certain accessories, and videos that teach the entirely legal acts of manufacturing guns and reloading ammunition.

A more Mainstream link

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/youtube-bans-firearm-sales-and-how-to-videos-prompting-backlash

The new YouTube policies will be enforced starting in April, but at least two video bloggers have already been affected. Spike’s Tactical, a firearms company, said in a post on Facebook that it was suspended from YouTube due to “repeated or severe violations” of the video platform’s guidelines.

Found a excellent description in a facebook video...

Reading some other forums some gun channels are moving to Pr0n hub.

Guess that's goodbye to Demolition Ranch then :( 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

That's sad, I quite enjoyed his videos...

Does this also mean that YouTube is going to kill off airsoft and/or Nerf channels even more than they have already?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Good thing Matt has already established a community on Twitch, maybe he'll attempt to do IRL streams.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Good thing Matt has already established a community on Twitch, maybe he'll attempt to do IRL streams.

except he isn't making anything himself nor is he trying to sell firearms

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Youtube #1:Our platform has never been profitable, should we fix the inherit issues?
Youtube #2:Let's piss off thousands of viewers and hundreds of content creators instead!

Everytime.

RIP Gun Jesus.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, starkiller1 said:

God damnit youtube, I quite enjoyed DemoRanch and HickOk45. Hopefully they're maybe excluded? They don't show how to manufacture shit really. I'd imagine the use of a firearm at a range is different.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Streetguru said:

Youtube #1:Our platform has never been profitable, should we fix the inherit issues?
Youtube #2:Let's piss off thousands of viewers and hundreds of content creators instead!

Everytime.

RIP Gun Jesus.

Ian ain't goin anywhere, if Youtube follows their new policy.

Rip Gun Jesus.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Fuck....

I know I am not that into guns but I enjoy watching his videos. Its sad to see him build up a following just to be crushed overnight. 

This isn't cool YouTube. Some people just enjoy this kind of content.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's sad, I quite enjoyed his videos...

Does this also mean that YouTube is going to kill off airsoft and/or Nerf channels even more than they have already?

I'd say "yes", but YouTube has probably the worst managed company in SV and possibly the Northern Hemisphere. (At least that is at a large scale.) So predicting what they will do can be very difficult. Minus lose money. Lots of money.

Kind of tossed on this one...  A part of me can see that YouTube might be trying to get in front of some of the future proposed gun legislation in the US (especially with the specific wording in their post), but at the same time it makes me wonder when they will remove all educational science videos because that knowledge can be misapplied in dangerous ways... 

so no more slow mo shotgun vids from that guy that uses anything it's viewers send him as ammo? 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Matu20 said:

Ignorant of me to ask, but what makes firearms so beloved to watch for you? Mostly Americans I assume, might be wrong.

In my experience, firing a gun is very stress relieving. As a non-american.

Thankfully ranges exist where you can go relieve your stress by shooting at a piece of wood.

Watching videos with people firing guns without any violence can also be stress relieving though I don't follow any channels myself.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

so no more slow mo shotgun vids from that guy that uses anything it's viewers send him as ammo? 

Your comment made me wish we had a "sad" reaction xD (:()

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

18 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

except he isn't making anything himself nor is he trying to sell firearms

He's advertised and sold his own AR-15? He has MANY videos that may not be intended for bad use or to encourage people to do bad things but they are still a source to people to find these guns ect. His channel is in a grey area that Youtube likely will take advantage of.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

More reason for more people to use adblockers though, it hurts youtube mostly. I mean yeah, it kind of hurts the creators too.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Wow YouTube... Seriously? You have no problem monetizing AI channels farming freakin children, anything with very raunchy sexual content, gory AF video games, extremist content, ponzi scheme bitcoin adverts and content... Do I need to keep going?

And this is where you go next? You don't decide to work on fixing misleading titles and click bait. You don't really care about resolving issues of human exploitation.. But you can react to this? Why did these limits get set? Since when does Google get to suddenly choose when it wants to follow any kind of moral compass?

I didn't even watch any of this content (because I barely watch YouTube), but its kind of an issue that it seems to be "Okay" for Google to start censoring now. These channels are not propagating hate, violence, or anything like that. Hell, many of these channels that look like they are going to be affected seem pretty educational. So maybe an education clause? I'm not sure. But if I were a content creator, I'd definitely look to jump ship now. This is ridiculous.

Google, STOP TELLING ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

He's advertised and sold his own AR-15? He has MANY videos that may not be intended for bad use or to encourage people to do bad things but they are still a source to people to find these guns ect. His channel is in a grey area that Youtube likely will take advantage of.

[hickock45]'s channel sponsors are primarily firearms parts distributors and ammunition manufacturers. While not outrght designed to sell a product, he does feature products that boost sales. All of the firearm's showcase YT channels do this in the same manner as LTT does with computer parts and accessories. Bud's sends him a firearm, federal provides the ammo, he shoots a video.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, Matu20 said:

Ignorant of me to ask, but what makes firearms so beloved to watch for you? Mostly Americans I assume, might be wrong.

I don't know, I just find it fun. I always was a "what if" person and a lot of these channels appeal to me in that sense. "What if you shot a cannon at a million marshmallows", stupid stuff like that. As no one in my family would personally take me to a shooting range it's fun to experience it by other means. I would personally own a gun, I don't know if I'd go and collect a batch of AR-15s and other guns but there are a few guns I've seen and thought it would be nice to own. I've seen a few revolvers I'd love to fire ect.  
Can't really say much else, just kind of fun to watch.

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

Because it's fun. And there's some clever engineering that goes into firearms.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

In my experience, firing a gun is very stress relieving. As a non-american.

Thankfully ranges exist where you can go relieve your stress by shooting at a piece of wood.

Watching videos with people firing guns without any violence can also be stress relieving though I don't follow any channels myself.

Your comment made me wish we had a "sad" reaction xD (:()

I also used to watch FPS Russia's videos on shooting guns, don't remember why, but haven't done it for a half a decade now.

Someone mentioned stress reliever to me in person as well, so I can kinda see that. But my question is that isn't there anything else to relieve your stress, that don't include firearms?

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

More reason for more people to use adblockers though, it hurts youtube mostly. I mean yeah, it kind of hurts the creators too.

I think I've seen about 5 YouTube ads since the place started doing ads. Viva La Adblock!