Two of the same model HDD, very different speeds

roughavoc

Me and my brother both have a Seagate ST400DM004 (4TB) drive in our systems, both have roughly the same amount of data written, same hours powered, same basically everything

The issue is when I run any hard drive benchmark software, lets go with CrystalDiskMark for now

His Drive -- My Drive

What could be the reasons for the difference in speeds? I know it isn't the platform as his system is my old system and my speeds haven't changed since going from Intel to AMD.

What SATA cables are you guys rocking?

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

As Jasun already said it could be your SATA cables, and if not it could just be a scenario where his drive has held up way better than the average one and yours has slowed down way more than the average.

34 minutes ago, Jasun said:

What SATA cables are you guys rocking?

Standard ones that come with the motherboard, both new cables (Z87 / B350) so it shouldn't be those

11 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

As Jasun already said it could be your SATA cables, and if not it could just be a scenario where his drive has held up way better than the average one and yours has slowed down way more than the average.

: (

Also, have you cheked to make sure the hard drives were defragmented? Windows usually does this on it's own, but could be worth checking.

4 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Also, have you cheked to make sure the hard drives were defragmented? Windows usually does this on it's own, but could be worth checking.

The drives are 2 months old, both 1% fragmented

I guess I have just lost the luck game

You could check yours with our free diagnostic software SeaTools just to see if the health of the drive could be a factor.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming