Should I sell 70D for GH4?

Here's the situation. I bought a Canon 70D in 2015/16 and love it but am looking for something with a bit more quality. My original plan was to upgrade and buy a new lens but then I found a sale where I could buy a GH4 And Panasonic Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 Lens for like $684 both used. If I'm doing 75% phot and 25% video is the upgrad a good idea? I could most likely sell my 70D for $700 with one or two of my current pisspour lenses. I don't see any cons in purchasing the gh4. Do you? (Sorry for shitty formatting on iPhone sale ends in 6days)

21 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

75% phot and 25% video

not in my opinion, if you do the reverse and is 75% video and 25% photo then a camera like the GH4 is a good change

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

2 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

not in my opinion, if you do the reverse and is 75% video and 25% photo then a camera like the GH4 is a good change

Alright. I would see myself producing more videos with the gh4 since it is higher quality do you think the gh4 isn't as good with photos? Once I get going it would be like 50/50 probably. 

It's photo capabilities are pretty mediocre compared to the 70D.

The GH4 is only 16MP compared to the 70D which is 20MP. The sensor on the 70D is a little bigger as well so it performs better in low light.

The only reason I would recommend switching to a GH4 is for video performance, it's better in every way. But you sacrifice for a smaller sensor, subpar lenses, or getting adaptors for your current lenses, and poor low light performance. The GH4 is fine for photos, but it's just not as good as the 70D.

I’d say if photos is the main priority I would not get it. Its a pretty sweet camera for video but for photos its pretty subpar to the 70D or well, most used cameras for 700USD. 

I say as above, if its 75% video then it may be worth it. Otherwise I’d probably not buy it. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

7 hours ago, benwubbleyou said:

The GH4 is only 16MP compared to the 70D which is 20MP. The sensor on the 70D is a little bigger as well so it performs better in low light.

The only reason I would recommend switching to a GH4 is for video performance, it's better in every way. But you sacrifice for a smaller sensor, subpar lenses, or getting adaptors for your current lenses, and poor low light performance. The GH4 is fine for photos, but it's just not as good as the 70D.

8 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

4 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I’d say if photos is the main priority I would not get it. Its a pretty sweet camera for video but for photos its pretty subpar to the 70D or well, most used cameras for 700USD. 

I say as above, if its 75% video then it may be worth it. Otherwise I’d probably not buy it. 

Just did some further research on the GH4 and realized how mistaken I was. I did some further research on what else was on sale and came across the Panasonic GX8 for $700.

Im still wondering how you guys think this would compare to the 70D. It is a micro four thirds camera so this would be a problem with nicer lenses. It seems good but do you think im just ahead of myself and theres no reason to upgrade. Im looking for a low f/stop lens that is around wider angle. Here is the link to the sale. Im not sure if I should upgrade to a camera on there, please have a look.

1 hour ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Im looking for a low f/stop lens that is around wider angle

are you saying you want a faster lens for your current camera or to get one that works with the panasonic camera if you decide to buy the sale?  because your canon camera and the panasonic cameras you are looking at have different sensor sizes you need to consider the crop factor differences that change the angle of view of lenses you use and also how depth of field changes if using like a f2 lens on a canon aps-c sensor or panasonic mft sensor

8 hours ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Alright. I would see myself producing more videos with the gh4 since it is higher quality do you think the gh4 isn't as good with photos? Once I get going it would be like 50/50 probably. 

how about upgrading to another canon camera though i feel you should not upgrade yet.  do you work with the camera or is just a hobby?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

On 3/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, xQubeZx said:

On 3/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, benwubbleyou said:

On 3/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, LaFemmeEnVert said:

are you saying you want a faster lens for your current camera or to get one that works with the panasonic camera if you decide to buy the sale?  because your canon camera and the panasonic cameras you are looking at have different sensor sizes you need to consider the crop factor differences that change the angle of view of lenses you use and also how depth of field changes if using like a f2 lens on a canon aps-c sensor or panasonic mft sensor

how about upgrading to another canon camera though i feel you should not upgrade yet.  do you work with the camera or is just a hobby?

So I will definetly not be purchasing the GH4 but I need a good lens thats wide and has a low fstop for bokeh. Also looking to do some long exposure stuff so would I need a certain lens or just a nd filter? Budget is around $300

2 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

So I will definetly not be purchasing the GH4 but I need a good lens thats wide and has a low fstop for bokeh. Also looking to do some long exposure stuff so would I need a certain lens or just a nd filter? Budget is around $300

Based on what you have, the nifty fifty should fit you nicely for the time being. It's a 50mm 1.8 for around 150$. Not the best build quality or glass but will get the job done.

Are you looking to get bokeh during the day or in lower light? Because that decides if you need an ND. You only need an ND if you are shooting in bright areas and still want a low aperture. 

38 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

Based on what you have, the nifty fifty should fit you nicely for the time being. It's a 50mm 1.8 for around 150$. Not the best build quality or glass but will get the job done.

Are you looking to get bokeh during the day or in lower light? Because that decides if you need an ND. You only need an ND if you are shooting in bright areas and still want a low aperture. 

did you miss the wide part? How is a 50mm with a 1.6x crop wide in any way shape or form? 

OP Your best bet is something like a 16-20mm 1.4, although, I am not aware of anything that is cheap for Canon that isn't fisheye. 

The cheapest thing I can think of is a 20mm f/1.4 sigma art lens, which is a 32mm equivalent given your camera's crop factor, but will probably cost you 2 times what you indicated. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

9 minutes ago, cc143 said:

did you miss the wide part? How is a 50mm with a 1.6x crop wide in any way shape or form? 

OP Your best bet is something like a 16-20mm 1.4, although, I am not aware of anything that is cheap for Canon that isn't fisheye. 

The cheapest thing I can think of is a 20mm f/1.4 sigma art lens, which is a 32mm equivalent given your camera's crop factor, but will probably cost you 2 times what you indicated. 

Exactly, there isn't anything in his price bracket. Either you stick with an 18-55 and keep it at 18mm at f3.5 or try something like a nifty fifty which will give better bokeh at the sacrifice of a zoom.

1 hour ago, benwubbleyou said:

Exactly, there isn't anything in his price bracket. Either you stick with an 18-55 and keep it at 18mm at f3.5 or try something like a nifty fifty which will give better bokeh at the sacrifice of a zoom.

Well not necessarily, since this is for video, and given its a wideangle OP is looking for, if manual focus is alright to deal with, Samyang (Rokinon in NA I believe) produces fast wideangle primes, which shoould come to around 20mm given crop without the fisheye distortion. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

The samyang/rokinon lenses are wide and fast f/2 or f/2.8 usally and they cost around 300-400US. They are MF but have great optics. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 3/26/2018 at 11:28 PM, TheSlicingEdge said:

wide and has a low fstop for bokeh

best bokehs happen only if you can very well isolate foreground subject from background. wide angle lenses you need to be very close to the subject or you have hard time isolating foreground and background. wide angle lens like 14mm lens reach infinity focus after about 3 feet away from subject.