Total noob over here

Hielke

Hi guys!

I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 103 on Gigabyte B150M-D3H motherboard with an Intel i5-6600K cpu and let me tell you, I hate this piece of **** cooler so much, that sometimes I do not know what to do with myself! Well, I know what to do now, throw that piece of .. in the garbage and upgrade to a more silent cooler. Now my question: what do I have to look for when buying a cooler? I mean: installing wise. Paste on the cpu, montaging etc. Would greatly appreciate all tips. 

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

4 minutes ago, Hielke said:

Hi guys!

I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 103 on Gigabyte B150M-D3H motherboard with an Intel i5-6600K cpu and let me tell you, I hate this piece of **** cooler so much, that sometimes I do not know what to do with myself! Well, I know what to do now, throw that piece of .. in the garbage and upgrade to a more silent cooler. Now my question: what do I have to look for when buying a cooler? I mean: installing wise. Paste on the cpu, montaging etc. Would greatly appreciate all tips. 

What case is this in?  Do you want an air cooler?  Do you want an AIO liquid cooler? RGB?

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

What case is this in?  Do you want an air cooler?  Do you want an AIO liquid cooler? RGB?

It's in a Cooler Master 690 III case. Yes, I want an air cooler and no, I do not value RGB.

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

Noctuna NHD-D15. Use IC diamond paste or MX-4 in a pea-sized dot in the middle of the cpu hs

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Are you overclocking? That makes a big difference. Also what is your budget for a cooler?

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I've had good luck with Noctua. 

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

If you are overclocking your CPU go with a 140 mm fan or bigger, as long as it will fit in the case.  If you don't like the brown fans you can get the Chroma ones in black.  Same fan, different color.

Okay sounds good and all, but is it just as simple as: 1. get the old fan out. 2. Remove paste. 3. Put new paste. 4. Install new fan?

And do all fans fit on my motherboard? I'm sure most of them fit in my case.

1 minute ago, lavablade02 said:

Are you overclocking? That makes a big difference. Also what is your budget for a cooler?

No, no overclocking, as the title suggests, I'm too noob for that stuff. Budget is really no issue, I can always save up and torture myself a little longer with the sound of my current cooler! Haha

2 minutes ago, Hielke said:

No, no overclocking, as the title suggests, I'm too noob for that stuff. Budget is really no issue, I can always save up and torture myself a little longer with the sound of my current cooler! Haha

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s

I vote for this.  It will fit in your case for sure, will fit your motherboard for sure, and will keep a 6600K cool at stock speeds all day with no noise.

You have room to put pretty much anything in there. Noctua is good option, but i would vote picking Pure Rock instead. Its probably best of budget coolers. Alternatively from Noctua U12S is best if you aren't looking to OC. If you are, U14S will be quite enough.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you aren't overclocking, that cooler will be more than sufficient. I am not sure what your issue is with it so can't really comment on that. 

If the temps are high, you might want to remove the heatsink, clean it and the CPU with some 90+% alcohol and re-apply the thermal paste (Good paste is Noctua NT-H1, cheap and effective). There are a lot of ways to apply the paste and it doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as you cover the entire CPU and don't have so much that it goes everywhere when installing a cooler. Good way for new people (IMHO) is to apply a line on one side of the CPU and use a business or credit card to spread it over the CPU in a thin layer (you should be able to see most of the CPU through the paste).

Dark Rock 3 (or Pro 3 if you want) looks nice

If you want a cheaper option Cryorig H7/Pure Rock

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

13 hours ago, Hielke said:

What are your current temps? Have you tried lowering fan speeds? If temps are fine, you could just replace the fan.

What ram are you using? Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 21-3-2018 at 7:24 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What are your current temps? Have you tried lowering fan speeds? If temps are fine, you could just replace the fan.

What ram are you using? Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

I have no idea how hot they are allowed to get, but mine gets like 30-40 degrees (Celcius that is) under medium/high load. My problem with my current fan is that it just makes soo much noise all the time..And I do not mean that its super loud or anything, but there is just a constant noise from my computer, it is never silent even when I do nothing.

Why does my ram matter? I'm using 16g ddr4 crucial ballistic RAM. I do not really have a budget, but like to keep it modest and quiiiiiiiiet. 

1 hour ago, Hielke said:

I have no idea how hot they are allowed to get, but mine gets like 30-40 degrees (Celcius that is) under medium/high load. My problem with my current fan is that it just makes soo much noise all the time..And I do not mean that its super loud or anything, but there is just a constant noise from my computer, it is never silent even when I do nothing.

Why does my ram matter? I'm using 16g ddr4 crucial ballistic RAM. I do not really have a budget, but like to keep it modest and quiiiiiiiiet. 

30-40c is very low. You're fine up to 80-90c at load. Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

Large ram heatsinks may get in the way of installing some coolers.

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

30-40c is very low. You're fine up to 80-90c at load. Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

Large ram heatsinks may get in the way of installing some coolers.

Where are you shopping/located?

How do I lower fan speed? That could be a solution 

2 minutes ago, Hielke said:

How do I lower fan speed? That could be a solution 

If you plugged the cooler into the motherboard, you should be able to control fan speeds through the bios in the PC Health Status section.