one last noob question for my first custom loop

I have all the parts (I think) ready to put together my first custom loop:

cpu/vrm/chipset monoblock, video card blocks, two 480mm radiators, pump/reservoir combo, compression fittings for each inlet/outlet, and a 3 meter roll of soft tubing (gotta start somewhere).

I have seen many threads about how it doesn't matter what order you have the components, but they were always talking about a single radiator setup. With 2 radiators is this still true? If not, is there a preferred way to split them up?

Both will be in the top of the case (Thermaltake Core X9) so I was going to just run them in series if that's fine.

Thanks guys!

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

series would definitely be fine, tough to have an extra balanced loop you could do radiator 1 -> cpu monoblock -> radiator 2 -> VGA's.

that way the coolant gets chilled before entering the next hot components.

it might not look as good as just a serial setup tough. and the difference is likely minimal :P

Just be sure to put your reservoir before the pump in the loop order. Other than that the order shouldn't matter at all 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I doesnt matter how you order them (mostly).  But I'm searching a video on that for you

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Just now, RollinLower said:

series would definitely be fine, tough to have an extra balanced loop you could do radiator 1 -> cpu monoblock -> radiator 2 -> VGA's.

that way the coolant gets chilled before entering the next hot components.

it might not look as good as just a serial setup tough. and the difference is likely minimal :P

It doesnt matter where the rads are, all of the fluid maintains the same temp regardless of where it is located

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

It doesnt matter where the rads are, all of the fluid maintains the same temp regardless of where it is located

not quite. if you feel the tube after a radiator the liquid feels quite a bit cooler. 

i mean, it needs to be for watercooling to be even effective.

There you go :) 

(just to say I personally trust in what Jay says you don't have to)

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

not quite. if you feel the tube after a radiator the liquid feels quite a bit cooler. 

i mean, it needs to be for watercooling to be even effective.

Actually yes, that is how fluids work, after the system has been running all of the fluid will equalize in temperature. There may be very marginal differences here and there but generally it will all be the same, that is they way the physics work

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

Actually yes, that is how fluids work, after the system has been running all of the fluid will equalize in temperature. There may be very marginal differences here and there but generally it will all be the same, that is they way the physics work

not to argue but that doesn't make logical sense - if the fluid temperature was the same before the radiator and immediately after the radiator, it would mean the radiator was not facilitating the dissipation of heat. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

5 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

not to argue but that doesn't make logical sense - if the fluid temperature was the same before the radiator and immediately after the radiator, it would mean the radiator was not facilitating the dissipation of heat. 

Hey man then do what seems right to you. If it was just a question of what seems logical then you could have figured this out on your own and you shouldn't have asked the question

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Hey man then do what seems right to you. If it was just a question of what seems logical then you could have figured this out on your own and you shouldn't have asked the question

well I like to defer to smarter people when I have no experience with something :) I can see that a system-wide average temperature would become present but the radiators have to help remove heat from the water or water cooling wouldn't be a viable way to maintain acceptable component temperatures.

Anyway I do appreciateall  the input and will either run the radiators in series, or maybe zig zag like @RollinLower suggested - I am much more concerned with function than form in this case.

1 hour ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

1 hour ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

The fact that the temperature doesn't keep climbing indefinitely already tells you that heat is being dissipated.

Starting fresh there may be a noticable difference, as everything is nice and cool, but eventually the loop will equalize to a certain temperature, since the heat transfer and dissipation is not 100% effective. That is, starting at room temperature, the water coming from components will be hotter than room temperature (obviously). The water coming out of the radiator will not be room temperature again, however, but slightly hotter. So the loop will slowly heat up until an equilibrium temperature is reached. What temperature this is depends on the heat output of your components and the cooling capacity/efficiency of your loop.

On-topic: I'd go for what is aesthetically most pleasing as the difference will likely be small.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

37 minutes ago, tikker said:

The fact that the temperature doesn't keep climbing indefinitely already tells you that heat is being dissipated.

Starting fresh there may be a noticable difference, as everything is nice and cool, but eventually the loop will equalize to a certain temperature, since the heat transfer and dissipation is not 100% effective. That is, starting at room temperature, the water coming from components will be hotter than room temperature (obviously). The water coming out of the radiator will not be room temperature again, however, but slightly hotter. So the loop will slowly heat up until an equilibrium temperature is reached. What temperature this is depends on the heat output of your components and the cooling capacity/efficiency of your loop.

On-topic: I'd go for what is aesthetically most pleasing as the difference will likely be small.

I understand the first part, but it would seem that with the radiators dissipating heat, the water temperature would always be slightly hotter going into the radiator than coming out of it. If the entire loop ended up being exactly the same temperature, wouldn't that mean that no heat was being removed, so the temperature would rise indefinitely?

IE, let's say you have 50C water going into a single radiator that is very effective and is able to remove enough heat energy that the water is down 25C by the time it exits the radiator, until that cooled water picks up more heat energy from the next component it reaches, it should remain a lower temperature than the water that has just passed through a GPU block, CPU block, etc and not yet passed through the radiator, right?

48 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I understand the first part, but it would seem that with the radiators dissipating heat, the water temperature would always be slightly hotter going into the radiator than coming out of it. If the entire loop ended up being exactly the same temperature, wouldn't that mean that no heat was being removed, so the temperature would rise indefinitely?

IE, let's say you have 50C water going into a single radiator that is very effective and is able to remove enough heat energy that the water is down 25C by the time it exits the radiator, until that cooled water picks up more heat energy from the next component it reaches, it should remain a lower temperature than the water that has just passed through a GPU block, CPU block, etc and not yet passed through the radiator, right?

Yes true, the water going into the radiator will be warmer than what is coming out. It will be a small difference though practically due to the flow rate, so everything will be approximately the same temperature.

When the loop equalizes it means that the radiator is dissipating as much heat as the components are producing, hence there is no net temperature increase as a whole.

And as the water heats up less heat will be transferred from the components to the water and more heat will be transferred from the water to the radiator/outside air. This will eventually balance.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

It get's even weirder a stronger Pump or try a couple with Ts/ splitters and the Parallel stuff loop. That's more Pump Head/headroom volume. you're 480mm is probably overkill anyways. the 360mm has plenty of cooling capacity in theory.

But yeah loop order isn't real significant but there some differences and makes more since at least to go out of the Rad into the blocks First there has to be a cooler potential there.

No one wants to mess with some crazy Loop though and will probably just run series.

2 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

You have to consider pump speed, what you outline above would be true if the water spent a very long time in the radiator. However your average watercooled system operates at a flowrate of at least 1 gpm, or 4.4 L/min (with a D5 or DDC). Given that a standard water cooled PC loop is about 1~2 L in volume, it is easy to visualize that any segment of water will go around the whole system about 2~4 times per minute. And therefore the time that any segment of water stays in contact with the same area (say, radiator, for example) is so short that the whole system temperature equilibrates as a whole.

In practice, the water in a water cooled PC heats up as a whole, and cools down as a whole for this reason. This is why component order does not matter and that the one radiator is not hotter than another, or the input is hotter than the output, etc. Unless you use something super viscous, or a very very slow pump speed, the difference is negligible.

This is visualized fairly well in this time lapse of load + water. You will see that the water color uniformly turns warmer (Except for the color bleed of the VRMs, but that is explained).

Would be dumb to put a rad after each component. Impractical as well unless you have a tiny loop. Would also be pointless to create bridges for gpus. Water isn't getting hot enough to be a problem. Its not a car.

Only thing that matters is pump speed based of serial or parallel and that the pump is being feed directly or indirectly from the res.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, JR88 said:

It get's even weirder a stronger Pump or try a couple with Ts/ splitters and the Parallel stuff loop. That's more Pump Head/headroom volume. you're 480mm is probably overkill anyways. the 360mm has plenty of cooling capacity in theory.

But yeah loop order isn't real significant but there some differences and makes more since at least to go out of the Rad into the blocks First there has to be a cooler potential there.

No one wants to mess with some crazy Loop though and will probably just run series.

gotcha, I just did EK's configurator and it recommended the dual 480's so that's what I went with. The 6900k gets pretty toasty when pushed to it's limit as I have seen with the old 360 AIO, and I imagine two shunt-modded Titan V's will be putting out some decent heat as well. Unsure about the chipset and VRMs though...

16 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

With dual rads that big you could run the fans at a slower rpm and still get the cooling you need.And if you want tempered glass for that coe x9 http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Accessories_/_/C_00003114/Core_X9_Tempered_Glass_Upgrade_Kit/design.htm

huge thanks!! I had no idea that existed and wished they would make one... ordered!

10 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

huge thanks!! I had no idea that existed and wished they would make one... ordered!

No problem i like that case and found the link in another forum about the core x snow line up.And with the side panels being the same you can run 2 tempered glass sides or just one whatever you like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 11:46 PM, andrewmp6 said:

No problem i like that case and found the link in another forum about the core x snow line up.And with the side panels being the same you can run 2 tempered glass sides or just one whatever you like.

So I got one first to see how they look, seems like it doesn't fit correctly though... Look at the gap between the glass and case frame

IMG_20180403_200446.jpg