[UPDATED 2] - Nvidia GPP shows its first victim

4 hours ago, Notional said:

Oh how nice of you Nvidia. You "moved on". Well guess what? The consumers fracking didn't! Scummy @$£$@

Some of them haven't clearly,  but the rest of us are waiting for an actual problem to arise for us to move on from.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Some of them haven't clearly,  but the rest of us are waiting for an actual problem to arise for us to move on from.

Personally I think it did. They started implementing gpp. They saw that people were actively looking at their practice. So them and Nvidia basically cut their losses on the program at least for the foreseeable future since it would be suicidal to give proof of it. Something along those would be probable.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, The Benjamins said:

Nvidia is learning from Intel, lovely.

Actually they both attend 101 classes with Satan

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Personally I think it did. They started implementing gpp. They saw that people were actively looking at their practice. So them and Nvidia basically cut their losses on the program at least for the foreseeable future since it would be suicidal to give proof of it. Something along those would be probable.

The reported losses were too big to cut, remember all the hellfire and brimstone predictions about how AIB's couldn't say no?  There are lots of probable possibilities, however they will all remain speculation and the only fact that will remain will be that until something actually happens (court case and subpoena of information or obvious lack of AMD cards in all retailers), then there is no GPP as reported by HardOCP. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

And finally only a very small proton of buyers buy  a brand because of its brand.  this rhetoric about people buying Nvivia because it's nvidia is not real, there would easily be just as many who buy AMD because it's AMD,  you know we have countless threads asking for advice on cards because people actually want to make an informed purchase and not a brand purchase.   People recommend the best, just because that happens to be Nvidia slightly more often than not doesn't mean people are blindly recommending them.   

My experience recommending stuff to people in these forums is that about 5% (numbers out of my ass) will explicitly say "nvidia only please", I've only once read "amd only please" and it was from someone who already had some savvy, and even people who don't ask for nvidia only will sometimes come out and say "i thought only nvidia made graphics cards".

A lot of our regulars are pro-AMD biased but my perception shows that the "mindshare" is a real thing.

Just now, mr moose said:

The reported losses were too big to cut, remember all the hellfire and brimstone predictions about how AIB's couldn't say no?  There are lots of probable possibilities, however they will all remain speculation and the only fact that will remain will be that until something actually happens (court case and subpoena of information or obvious lack of AMD cards in all retailers), then there is no GPP as reported by HardOCP. 

I'll have my eyes peeled for sure.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

My experience recommending stuff to people in these forums is that about 5% (numbers out of my ass) will explicitly say "nvidia only please", I've only once read "amd only please" and it was from someone who already had some savvy, and even people who don't ask for nvidia only will sometimes come out and say "i thought only nvidia made graphics cards".

A lot of our regulars are pro-AMD biased but my perception shows that the "mindshare" is a real thing.

I'll have my eyes peeled for sure.

I basing my appraisal of much more than just this forum, I know about 20 gamers who do not even participate on forums.  But their reasoning for buying one card over another stems from more than just brand.

I also will be waiting for evidence, I have previously said many times I do not outright believe GPP to be thing or not a thing, I'll just wait for evidence before I run around disparaging companies publicly because the idea hurts my feels.

On 27.03.2018 at 7:13 PM, Kierax said:

I really hope we do not see the same with Nvidia if AMD take a decade to catch up.

Well, whatever we might have to say about Nvidia - and I do agree that they deserve some of what they get for the way they handle this whole GPP fiasco - we can't really complain about their devotion towards advancement regardless of their competition.

AMD hasn't been competing in the top tier market for a while now and that did not stop Nvidia from releasing 1080ti/Titan Xp/Titan V etc. every generation is considerably stronger than the previous one.

Sure, due to lack of competition they might try to add a $50 here and there to their MSRP but they will certainly not release a next gen gaming card that is, say, only 10% stronger than it's Pascal counterpart.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

Well, whatever we might have to say about Nvidia - and I do agree that they deserve some of what they get for the way they handle this whole GPP fiasco - we can't really complain about their devotion towards advancement regardless of their competition.

AMD hasn't been competing in the top tier market for a while now and that did not stop Nvidia from releasing 1080ti/Titan Xp/Titan V etc. every generation is considerably stronger than the previous one.

Sure, due to lack of competition they might try to add a $50 here and there to their MSRP but they will certainly not release a next gen gaming card that is, say, only 10% stronger than it's Pascal counterpart.

what fiasco?

Everything is speculation

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

They might add more than 50 bucks this time, just the memory cost alone they might increase it by 50 then take another 50 just for the sake of no competition.  Unlike with Vega and Fiji, where nV didn't know how well they would turn out (how close or how far away), they have a very good idea there is nothing stopping their performance and enthusiast line up this time around.

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

latest?cb=20161224012522

Wrong satan lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Wrong satan lol

Nothing is worse than that one. And no, not even your mother when she’s about to ground you when you’re 30 y.o....

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Nothing is worse than that one. And no, not even your mother when she’s about to ground you when you’re 30 y.o....

what about Satan's mother....grounding him? how bad ass do you have to be to ground the literal Devil

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

what about Satan's mother....grounding him? how bad ass do you have to be to ground the literal Devil

The self-proclaimed “strongest man” being grounded by his scrawny mother would entitle being a “badass”. Though, I would feel bad seeing the beatdown Satan would get...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The self-proclaimed “strongest man” being grounded by his scrawny mother would entitle being a “badass”. Though, I would feel bad seeing the beatdown Satan would get...

"He's the savior of humanity! The champ and martial arts king that took down Cell AND fought Majin Buu! Satan would never lie to us!"

On 3/24/2018 at 10:24 PM, leadeater said:

Have you got any script blockers on? Just tried it myself and it works, though you initially see Nvidia cards show up like in your video but then it filters correctly.

I have an adblocker and minerblock

Okay I've been ignoring this subject for a while.

At a brief glance, the only difference I am seeing is the lack of fancy box art and other stupid marketing shit that no one should really care about anyways.

In fact I would expect a product to be slightly cheaper because the company making it spent*cough*wasted*cough* less on fancy box art and fancy extra shit on the product itself.

I also assume I am missing something. Are these AMD cards going to have less performance because they lack AORUS stamped everywhere? Or is this all speculation?

(yes this is an odd argument coming from me of all people.)

I'd like to think most people, at least people who are informed and do their research, would buy whatever performs better for their dollars. AMD could capitalize on this by charging less or getting their AIB's to charge less because they don't have to spend so much money on dumb marketing shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'd like to think most people, at least people who are informed and do their research, would buy whatever performs better for their dollars.

That's the issue. Most people don't look past what brand name they're buying.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

That's the issue. Most people don't look past what brand name they're buying.

Says who?  There are always informed discussions in the build threads about which product to buy.  No one ever says get Brand X, it's always get chip X or go for this because it has more ram or is newer, not because it is Aorus or G1.  On top of that, the only people who are going to by Nvidia over AMD because of the name are not even looking at the branding anyway, same for those who will buy AMD over Nvidia. Making that a moot point. Everyone else want s the best they can get for their money.

when people are buying a 150 and up computer part, based on their comp the graphics card is usually just as expensive as their CPU they tend to look at what they are buying.  Lower end parts yeah there are going to be consumers that don't look too much at those, but really, what is the market for those discrete cards? 25% and how many buy those from AIB's?  I think most of those come out of OEM's.

All the conspiracy theories out there, if nV really afraid of AMD if that is where they want to hurt AMD, because that is what is going to happen once next gen cards are out.

Oh yeah Kaby Lake G conspiracy, Dell just released their first kaby lake g parts, 1500 bucks for the low end Kaby lake G, that is going up against Max Q 1060 laptops?  Wow totally different price points, Max Q 1060's are going to be around the 1200 or less!

I just don't see how people try to correlate these things and its worse when people experienced in tech journalism try to correlate this.