General Discussion...

Sir Asvald

As most of you're aware, most people, especially newer members just keep on posting on the General Discussion thread without even looking at the rest of the forum.. Why not add a post limit just like in the Classifieds? Member must have 100 posts before posting in the General Discussion thread. 

Cheers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

sounds like a good idea, but I think 100 posts is a bit to much, I think 25 would be better, so that people dont have to post a lot to get access, but still will have to read the rest before posting there.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

2 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

sounds like a good idea, but I think 100 posts is a bit to much, I think 25 would be better, so that people dont have to post a lot to get access, but still will have to read the rest before posting there.

10 is even a good number, most might just come in register and want to say hi. How many would actually even stick around for 25 posts just to say hi?

If something like this does get implemented a section for new users to say hi should be added to permit them to post there w/o a post count.

6 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

If something like this does get implemented a section for new users to say hi should be added to permit them to post there w/o a post count.

people can use the Off Topic section to say high, but the Off Topic posts dont count in the post counter...

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

Although a lot of the posts in General Discussion would be better suited somewhere else, there are still plenty of topics that should go in GD, in particular topics about the LTT YouTube channel that don't fit into the existing topics, so preventing new users from posting there wouldn't be ideal.

HTTP/2 203

That would cut misposting to maybe half. If you look into who is post-dumping, many are regulars (sub-100 posts) and even veterans (100-1000 posts). Or even oldschool (1000-10 000 posts). This issue is mainly between monitor and chair. Nothing more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

10 is even a good number, most might just come in register and want to say hi. How many would actually even stick around for 25 posts just to say hi?

why would you want to say hi tho, i dont understand that

It is was moderators are for.

Over micro-managing people/forums is just a rapid turn off for many people. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

19 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

:/ there are people with 500+ who still post in General Discussion thread..which is annoying

19 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

:/ there are people with 500+ who still post in General Discussion thread..

19 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

people can use the Off Topic section to say high, but the Off Topic posts dont count in the post counter...

18 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Although a lot of the posts in General Discussion would be better suited somewhere else, there are still plenty of topics that should go in GD, in particular topics about the LTT YouTube channel that don't fit into the existing topics, so preventing new users from posting there wouldn't be ideal.

Or have it where you have to your account which a few days old.

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That would cut misposting to maybe half. If you look into who is post-dumping, many are regulars (sub-100 posts) and even veterans (100-1000 posts). Or even oldschool (1000-10 000 posts). This issue is mainly between monitor and chair. Nothing more.

what bothers me is that people with 300+ posts still post there, I mean if you've posted a lot you should know better..

17 hours ago, -TesseracT- said:

why would you want to say hi tho, i dont understand that

Because it a community forum? People want to talk and introduce each other? 

10 hours ago, Kierax said:

It is was moderators are for.

Over micro-managing people/forums is just a rapid turn off for many people. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I think just moving it to the bottom of the list would help, since naturally people are going to start at the top and scroll through until they find a place where it fits, so if the generic "catch all" option is at the top, some don't bother looking further than that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think just moving it to the bottom of the list would help, since naturally people are going to start at the top and scroll through until they find a place where it fits, so if the generic "catch all" option is at the top, some don't bother looking further than that.

Could tie posting to General to having posted a picture in offtopic of yourself with a pancake on your head...*looks at Ryan*

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.