Fraps for recording PS3

JAW96
Go to solution Solved by LapX,

No, you need a capture card to make the footage get IN your pc.

Okay, some of my buddies wanted to record their PS3 gameplay in HD but to do that with a capture device that can film HD cost around $120, but I was wondering if there was any way to do this with fraps. I do not have a capture card and I'm not asking how to install it on the PS3 (thought I should clear that up on other forums they shoot the idea down because of that) I'm asking if it is possible for me to run the video through my PC to the TV to record it.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

No, you need a capture card to make the footage get IN your pc.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Fraps captures you pc, not external devices. Most capture devices come with their own recording software. Or you could use Open Broadcaster.

Edit: No, you will need a capture device.

hello

The very notion is laughable.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Yea, you're gonna have to use something else.  Fraps is for PC recording only.  Sorry man.  A lot of the youtubers use an El Gato game capture.

okay just have very little experience with video capturing, they have the cash to buy the capture device just wanted to know whether or not fraps was a alternative.

LOL FRAPS.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

LOL FRAPS.

okay got it can't use fraps just thought I should explore all avenues.

PC software on a PS3............... There is a line between a serious question, and just common sense.

tumblr_m8ce9ofDow1qgf1i8o1_400.gifNO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!O!O!O!O!OO!O!O"

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig 

okay got it can't use fraps just thought I should explore all avenues.

You should explore the avenue to your brain, or the pit of the ocean. 

Also because you play playstation

Edited by breeze

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig 

Guys please stop, I agree it's ridiculous to think to use Fraps on a PS3 but you have to remember that it's not everyone that is as educated as us, that's why they come here, that's why Linus created this forum. (and his channel, besides his boss telling him to make videos)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Guys please stop, I agree it's ridiculous to think to use Fraps on a PS3 but you have to remember that it's not everyone that is as educated as us, that's why they come here, that's why Linus created this forum. (and his channel, besides his boss telling him to make videos)

:(

It's not ridiculous to think a software used to record games can be used to record games, it's just getting past the compatibility barriers.

OP, you have a few options.

1: For cheap SD record, Dazzle HD recorder does fine, but again, only standard definition despite the name

2: For HD recording, there's many options like Avermedia Live Gamer or the Live Portable, or any other Avermedia card. There's also Hauppauge (which I don't recommend) and Black Magic Intensity Pro/Shuttle/Shuttle thunderbolt, but Black Magic tends to bluescreen you and they have no motivation to fix it.

All the HD ones will run you about $200 unless you can find them on eBay. There are other ways of capturing, but the least amount of headaches come from capture cards made specifically for capture. You also have to be careful with the Sony consoles since their HDMI is actually HDCP, meaning you have to find some other hardware to strip the HDCP signal, or record with Component cables which can still output up to 1080i.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

LOL FRAPS.

PC software on a PS3............... There is a line between a serious question, and just common sense.

lolnope

tumblr_m8ce9ofDow1qgf1i8o1_400.gifNO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!O!O!O!O!OO!O!O"

Absolutely none of you have been in one little way helpful towards what the OP was asking. This community was built to help others, not ridicule them. If you can't get yourselves around this, don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

It's not ridiculous to think a software used to record games can be used to record games, it's just getting past the compatibility barriers.

Yeah but if it's an ap that you launch on your pc that's weird. I was trying to be nice why do you beat on me ?

Absolutely none of you have been in one little way helpful towards what the OP was asking. This community was built to help others, not ridicule them. If you can't get yourselves around this, don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

crying-waterfalls.gif

Why you do dis?

Lighten up :)

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Thanks for quoting all the negative posts ! I forgot before posting my comment so it was too late...

I DIDN"T SAY I WANTED TO INSTALL IT ON A PS3 I SAID I WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD USE MY PC AS A PASS THROUGH, but no even though I BUILT A PC you guys had to be  PRICKS and NOT EVEN READ MY FUCKING QUESTION ALL THE WAY.

LOL FRAPS.

lolnope

LOL FRAPS.

did any of you assholes even read my question??? or did you just see PS3 and think OH HE WANTS TO INSTALL FRAPS ON PS3 LOL... asshates 

I DIDN"T SAY I WANTED TO INSTALL IT ON A PS3 I SAID I WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD USE MY PC AS A PASS THROUGH, but no even though I BUILT A PC you guys had to be  PRICKS and NOT EVEN READ MY FUCKING QUESTION ALL THE WAY.

Hey hey, calm down. It's all in good. fun. Obviously, we're all the idiots here. Not your question... -_-

This is why teh internets is a fun place.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Hey hey, calm down. It's all in good. fun. Obviously, we're all the idiots here. Not your question...

I was all like wow this is a friendly community that I can talk tech and learn from... guess I was fucking wrong.