[FIXED]I can hear my friend's game audio through discord. Is it a setting?

SeaBass2819
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 hours ago, SeaBass2819 said:

They are separated. One for headphones and one for Mic

If you have multiple places you can plug them in (Say front panel ports and back of the case ports) try plugging one into the back and the other into the front (Or where ever a spare audio input might be.)

EDIT: Problem solved! Thank you everyone for you suggestions!

My friend has always had this since he got his pc about 8 months ago. Whenever I would talk to him on Discord, I could hear his audio perfectly (He has some Logitech Headphones). I thought it was that his game audio was too loud, so he turned it down to around what I have my settings at, which is 62. After this, I could still hear his game perfectly so I asked him to lower the audio even more. He lowered his audio to a point were he could barely hear his game, but I could still hear it. I could only hear loud noises from him (When we play PUBG or Fortnite). Since he lowered his audio to the point where he can't hear it, it can't be that his audio is too loud.

The next thing we checked was the Discord settings. We looked through all of the settings and looked online too, but we didn't find any Discord setting that related to Feedback Audio. We assumed the headphones were the issue. When I asked what Playback device was set, "Speakers" were set and "Headset" wasn't a playback option. My friend then tried a Razer Kraken Headset to see if the playback device would change, but it didn't. The playback device was still set to "Speakers" and the Razer Headset did not show up anywhere in the list of playback devices, and I could still hear my friend's game audio. We think its a setting that's causing this, since "speakers" isn't changing.

I have a Razer "Man o' War" Wireless Headset and my playback device is "Headset" and my friend can't hear my audio. My other friend has a pair of Razer Kraken USB's. His playback device says "Headset."

Any solutions for this problem?

Try checking the properties of the speakers microphone and make sure "Listen to this device" isn't checked.

Edited by Guest

Just now, tjcater said:

Try checking the properties of the speakers and make sure "Listen to this device" isn't checked.

Where can I find "Listen to this device"? When I look at speaker properties, I get 5 tabs: General, Levels, Enhancements, Advanced, Spatial Sound. 

2 minutes ago, SeaBass2819 said:

Where can I find "Listen to this device"? When I look at speaker properties, I get 5 tabs: General, Levels, Enhancements, Advanced, Spatial Sound. 

I edited my post a few minutes ago, its actual in the microphone properties. While you're still in speaker properties, is spatial sound turned on? (If so try turning it off)

47 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I edited my post a few minutes ago, its actual in the microphone properties. While you're still in speaker properties, is spatial sound turned on? (If so try turning it off)

Spatial sound is off and "Listen to this Device" is off. When he turns it on, it makes a really high pitched, loud sound

4 minutes ago, SeaBass2819 said:

Spatial sound is off and "Listen to this Device" is off. When he turns it on, it makes a really high pitched, loud sound

Is the stereo mix disabled?

Spoiler

image.png.bd37339a221ed1e9e94479c0cf59ee27.png

If it isn't that, I don't know what it could be.

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Is the stereo mix disabled?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.bd37339a221ed1e9e94479c0cf59ee27.png

If it isn't that, I don't know what it could be.

It was disabled, but now its enabled, but that didn't fix the issue. Is there a setting that can be changed in Stereo Mix?

Just now, SeaBass2819 said:

It was disabled, but now its enabled, but that didn't fix the issue. Is there a setting that can be changed in Stereo Mix?

Some people had issues with it being enabled so they needed it to be disabled. Do the headphones use a single cord for mic and speakers or are they separated?

Depending on the headset ensure he has the MIC pulled out from the headset or away from the ear cup. 

I have a friend with a retractable mic headset and when he doesn't pull the mic out of the ear cup you hear everything he can hear which is super annoying.

In discord Make sure the "voice transmit" volume or "input" volume isn't cranked way up making his mic super sensitive.

If its a Logitech headset look for any specific Logitech drivers for the device?

Make sure he isn't using speakers and a headset causing you to hear everything.  Some monitors have speakers...

If non of that is the issue then I would suggest going to the audio settings (right click icon bottom right of desktop)  and go to "playback devices".  Then your going to want to DISABLE everything that is NOT the headset you are trying to use... also under "Input/recording devices" disabled everything that is not the headset microphone. 

Check for windows updates and ensure your audio device drivers are 100% up to date you can find these in "device manager" right click on whatever you want and hit update driver software.

Good luck!

22 hours ago, tjcater said:

Some people had issues with it being enabled so they needed it to be disabled. Do the headphones use a single cord for mic and speakers or are they separated?

19 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Depending on the headset ensure he has the MIC pulled out from the headset or away from the ear cup. 

I have a friend with a retractable mic headset and when he doesn't pull the mic out of the ear cup you hear everything he can hear which is super annoying.

In discord Make sure the "voice transmit" volume or "input" volume isn't cranked way up making his mic super sensitive.

If its a Logitech headset look for any specific Logitech drivers for the device?

Make sure he isn't using speakers and a headset causing you to hear everything.  Some monitors have speakers...

If non of that is the issue then I would suggest going to the audio settings (right click icon bottom right of desktop)  and go to "playback devices".  Then your going to want to DISABLE everything that is NOT the headset you are trying to use... also under "Input/recording devices" disabled everything that is not the headset microphone. 

Check for windows updates and ensure your audio device drivers are 100% up to date you can find these in "device manager" right click on whatever you want and hit update driver software.

Good luck!

We have tried all of these solutions. The issue when looking at the recording and playback devices is that the headphones don't show up. For playback devices, speakers are the selected device, and the only other available device is his monitor which switches the audio through his monitor speakers. Under recording devices, the selected device is microphone and if he disables it, then I can't hear him. "Headphones" don't show up in either recording or playback devices

2 hours ago, SeaBass2819 said:

We have tried all of these solutions. The issue when looking at the recording and playback devices is that the headphones don't show up. For playback devices, speakers are the selected device, and the only other available device is his monitor which switches the audio through his monitor speakers. Under recording devices, the selected device is microphone and if he disables it, then I can't hear him. "Headphones" don't show up in either recording or playback devices

Check to ensure no devices are hidden under the playback devices..

Is it a USB headset or does it terminate in a 3.5mm jack?  Is it a combo 3.5 jack (mic+audio) or is there two cables one for the mic and one for the headphones?

If USB try different usb ports or check for driver updates for your USB connections.  Keep checking audio devices for it to show up.

If its terminating in a 3.5mm combo jack ensure it is going in an appropriate combo input not just into the  green headphone jack.  If it doesn't split then consider getting a splitter cable or a USB sound card to solve the issue.

If it terminates in two wires one for the mic and one for the headphones make sure HE HAS THEM PLUGGED INTO THE RIGHT PORTS.   Try using the inputs on the back of the computer not the front of the case.

A pair of headphones plugged into the motherboard via 3.5mm jack could show up as stereo speakers and not a headset this shouldn't make any difference to audio quality etc ( I think)

Cheers.

If you have multiple places you can plug them in (Say front panel ports and back of the case ports) try plugging one into the back and the other into the front (Or where ever a spare audio input might be.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:26 AM, tjcater said:

This solved the problem! Thank you!!

Hello, I have the same problem, for some reason my audio output is routed to Mic. I thought it was the drivers, but reinstalling them did not help. It looks like that this solution works if I use speakers instead of my headset, using back ports, then audio routes normally. 

Also I cannot test this solution since I cant simultaneusly connect my headset to back and front IO's due to short audio and mic cables. 

I am using motherboard B350 Tomahawk if that helps.

Is there any way I can route the audio manually so only mic would be picked up by microphone device?

i dont even have to read the ins and outs of this as i have the same problem except i can hear my self though my friends set of man of wars on discord. you can try asking your friend to rise the sensitivity bar up a bit on the discord settings. 

On 4/6/2018 at 12:42 PM, Shraik said:

Hello, I have the same problem, for some reason my audio output is routed to Mic. I thought it was the drivers, but reinstalling them did not help. It looks like that this solution works if I use speakers instead of my headset, using back ports, then audio routes normally. 

Also I cannot test this solution since I cant simultaneusly connect my headset to back and front IO's due to short audio and mic cables. 

I am using motherboard B350 Tomahawk if that helps.

Is there any way I can route the audio manually so only mic would be picked up by microphone device?

I’m not too sure about what caused this issue for my friend and me, but what you could try is look at the other replies for this post and test out those different things in the playback and recording devices

• 2 years later...

Our fix was to go into control panel, then hardware and sound, then sound, then into properties of the mic, then make sure mic boost is turned down to 0 db.