Laptop

amd_fanboy

Even though my name says amd fanboy i was looking for a nice notebook with a sshd(hybrid drive), i7, and 8gb ram, it does not have to be paper light and my budget is around 800 any suggestions? 

Why an sshd?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Why an sshd?

Im guessing for slightly better performance, and high space, without spending extra. I'm all for SSHD's

$800? no.

$1,200+? yes.

do you not want a dedicated gpu? why get an i7 without one? might was well get an i5 and buy the SSHD separately to save money.

Im guessing for slightly better performance, and high space, without spending extra. I'm all for SSHD's

I'm not bashing sshd just curious as to why its needed. I don't usually see laptop with the specs he wants at that price range. If it was a higher budget an SSHD would make sense

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Even though my name says amd fanboy i was looking for a nice notebook with a sshd(hybrid drive), i7, and 8gb ram, it does not have to be paper light and my budget is around 800 any suggestions? 

Get a cheap $500~$600 i5 and buy more RAM and the SSHD separately. There's no way you'll afford an i7 with 8GB of ram and an SSHD for $800.

I'm not bashing sshd just curious as to why its needed. I don't usually see laptop with the specs he wants at that price range. If it was a higher budget an SSHD would make sense

I understand you weren't bashing SSHD, You had a legitimate question, i gave a legitimate answer. But i agree with the spec price part. Some i7's can cost $800. Plus all this in a laptop seems a bit unreasonable, especially since i've rarely seen SSHD's in laptops

May I ask what the purpose of the laptop will be? Gaming, Video editing, school?

It will be for school, I am a computer science major and the i7 is important to me without a discrete gpu because it needs better cpu performance. And the sshd for huge file capacity, but opens up for instance netbeans in under 3 seconds. 

The asus vivobooks used to be around for this exact price range but i cant find them anymore, they where exactly what i was looking for...

It will be for school, I am a computer science major and the i7 is important to me without a discrete gpu because it needs better cpu performance. And the sshd for huge file capacity, but opens up for instance netbeans in under 3 seconds. 

An SSHD doesn't open files faster, it just runs the most frequently used files faster such as an OS

If you are doing your ungrads computer science degree. I can assure you a "Core 2 Duo is all you need", in the sense that it will get the job done, obviously slowly, I know, I have one, but it's suffucently powerful for all assignment you'll encounter, I know... I have one (5 year laptop, which ran Vista 64-bit, Win7 64-bit, Win8, and now Win8.1 64-bit). Now, OBVIOUSLY, I am not suggested you get that (I am changing my system). All I am saying is that you don't need a Core i7. I also work at a plane simulator company, and I do my work on my lappy, and I still don't need an i7. I definitively need more performance. But not that much. The premium price is not worth the small performance increase. What you get however is increase Intel GPU performance mostly.

Personally, as a student in Computer Science, I am trying to get the Surface Pro 2, 256GB 8GB of RAM model. The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (not to be confused with the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Pro 2), is also another interesting laptop which I have my eyes on, but I prefer the Surface Pro 2 for my specific needs (and it's cheaper), but definitely have a look. Oh, my current laptop, is a bit over 5 years old, it's a Dell Latitude E6400, Core 2 Duo, last gen, 2.2GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256MB, 4GB of RAM, backlight keyboard, 1440x900 LED back light.

Why?

-> A lot of my classes requires to take notes with special symbols and graphs/diagrams. Making my laptop useless, despite using the best note taking software around: Microsoft OneNote 2013 (you have it for free as a student in Computer Science, as with nearly all Microsoft software). I need to use pen and paper. I knew this when I got my laptop, but at the time, a convertible system with a pen that you won't fight against, cost 3000$, and half the performance that I have now with my system and awful battery life (Dell Latitude XT). Would definitively not last me as long if I picked that path, and obviously didn't have the funds.

-> I want better portability, despite my 14inch system. I am wiling to sacrifice getting small touchpad (I am used to small one, I have one on my laptop), and a smaller keyboard. The pen is what really maters for me. As for the 1 USB 3.0 port... I can survive. I'll get a bluetooth mouse, and be now fine.

-> I want want an IPS display so that I can read books, and PDFs on it with easy and not fight with short view angles.

-> I need performance and long battery life which the Surface Pro 2 delivers. (Plus has an additional power keyboard coming early next year, to extend the battery life of the device, in the case I need more juice).

Yes it's more expensive, than you budget, but I am not saying to get that specific device.. they are more of them, and Lenovo always has special, or you can call and negotiate, and get a nice price (same for Dell home and business line of devices). What I am saying is I think, a digitize pen (the good pen technology), is a must, and worth paying a premium. That is of course, if you want to have everything on your laptop. Something that I do, so that everything is sync with my Desktop automatically, and I can search through my notes, have everything layered out properly, and easy to complete my notes.

Granted I don't have the Surface Pro 2 right now, as it's sold out everywhere, and I am not fast enough to jump it an buy it when it becomes available, so I could be expecting wrong, but based on what I am seeing in class, students with convertible device of some kind, have easier time to take notes.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some ways. Or at least consider what I am suggesting, to be sure to get something that really fits your needs. I am not you, and our needs are obviously different.