Best OS for this build ?

On 3/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, manikyath said:

i fail to see your argument here, while still waiting for dem delicious modern Lubuntu pics.

Finally...

It's using a custom widget theme (Color-UI), and custom icon theme (Moka), and custom menu icon i made in like an hour. Maybe I'll do more to it as time rolls on.

The computer is listed in the title bar of the Terminal, but my model has an Athlon II x2 and 2GB RAM and is (for some reason) x64. Lubuntu was my best option once Windows started giving out. It's very lightweight and cusomizable and looks more like Windows (for the parents)

Screenshot 2018-03-24 10:40:12.png

logo.png

logo-spaced.png

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Finally...

It's using a custom widget theme (Color-UI), and custom icon theme (Moka), and custom menu icon i made in like an hour. Maybe I'll do more to it as time rolls on.

The computer is listed in the title bar of the Terminal, but my model has an Athlon II x2 and 2GB RAM and is (for some reason) x64. Lubuntu was my best option once Windows started giving out. It's very lightweight and cusomizable and looks more like Windows (for the parents)

Screenshot 2018-03-24 10:40:12.png

logo.png

logo-spaced.png

yes, it looks ancient, and still doesnt support rotated displays ;)

this is what ubuntu looked like in 2007

ubuntups3-large_005.png

by your definition, this looks modern.

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes, it looks ancient, and still doesnt support rotated displays ;)

this is what ubuntu looked like in 2007

ubuntups3-large_005.png

by your definition, this looks modern.

not really. I was just taking the old interface and "updating" it. the fundamentals still look "ancient", but then what did you expect as "modern"? Windows 8?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

not really. I was just taking the old interface and "updating" it. the fundamentals still look "ancient", but then what did you expect as "modern"? Windows 8?

you know, maybe something that supports rotating displays, something that has better UI than just essentially tiling PNG's to make up the taskbar, something that adds a search bar to the start menu because any computer from the past 10 years can search fast enough for that to be a thing, something that has a GUI for configuring display settings, ...

Spoiler

essentially, for example something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

or this:

kubuntu-17-10-alpha-1-debuts-with-vlc-me

or this:

ubuntu-17.10-desktop.jpg

or this:

01_1268.jpg

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

you know, maybe something that supports rotating displays, something that has better UI than just essentially tiling PNG's to make up the taskbar, something that adds a search bar to the start menu because any computer from the past 10 years can search fast enough for that to be a thing, something that has a GUI for configuring display settings, ...

Reveal hidden contents

essentially, for example something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

or this:

kubuntu-17-10-alpha-1-debuts-with-vlc-me

or this:

ubuntu-17.10-desktop.jpg

or this:

01_1268.jpg

so from what I hear the only things that classify modern desktops are display management (which is very important to you due to your extreme specifics) and the taskbar.

Windows 7 and XFCE both use PNG tiling. Rotating displays in LXDE is as simple as installing arandr and rotating it (no dependencies too), and graphics-intensive visual effects and gradients (gasp).

It comes down to customization. LXDE can be anything you want it to be. Icons, widgets, themes, and the whole 9 yards can be customized natively (unlike Windows 7, lol I themed it like WIndows XP one time and it took a lot of antivirus diabling). If I had time I would make it look like GNOME, but I am content with displays that are easier on computers due to the fact that my fastest computer has an AMD A8-4500M APU.

@manikyath and @DaJakerBoss lol

also to OP, if it has a product key as a prebuilt, use that os. Unless it’s vista, then use anything else. 

I think windows 8, and 10 are good options if it runs well as they natively support reading files from disks as of they were flash drives & can mount iso. 

Otherwise i see nothing wrong with Ubuntu if you know how to use it. VLC should be the same on all platforms. 

As for the 2 arguing between Linux and windows turning all the dang tables... I kinda like the 90s feel of LuBuntu, though I’d appreciate a search feature and a few user friendly enhancements. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:34 AM, fpo said:

LuBuntu

I'm just being a grammar nazi here but it is just Lubuntu :)

44 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I'm just being a grammar nazi here but it is just Lubuntu :)

If you're going to be a "Grammar Nazi" (proper noun,) then at least be correct. xD 

Spoiler

lubutnu

lubuntu-16.04-xenial-xerus.png