Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

In 10 years, Haswell will be retro. Just think about it for a while...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Best friend's father owns a computer store since the 90s and still has a lot of the stock from back then lying around. Maybe I should go there and take some pictures one day. 

So i came for a few days in my parents' home and found some old stuff..

2 IDE CD roms 

A freakin samsung floppy drive

BJW8pB9.jpgzFREmLz.jpg

And my very first computer case which oddly looks like a mercedes front.

Cmt7nT6.jpg

Gaps were filled with cd/dvd roms and a floppy and there was glass with blue/red leds in the ''lights''

Oh i would so much do a mercedes mod pc if i had some spare cash..

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

I found a random 128MB DDR 400 ram stick in my dad's office...

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Still got her in my rig, she has been true to me for 5 years.

Nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Quality CRTs actually own most flat screens that are not ips.

Except when they give you a massive headache.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Except when they give you a massive headache.

Never happened to me, or at least not in a condition where my flat screen wouldn't have given me a headache too. Maybe you missed the "quality" part :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Never happened to me, or at least not in a condition where my flat screen wouldn't have given me a headache too. Maybe you missed the "quality" part :P

True. I tried a Phillips CRT from 2001 or so recently and got one just from the whining noise of it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have a whole stash of ancient PC parts; they include:

- Copper tinted ASUS mobo for Pentium 3 (still sealed inside)

- Pentium 4 1.8A C1

- 20GB IDE HDD

- A pair of floppy drives

- NVidia GPU from E.L.S.A that had a single VGA output

- Printer port expansion wire

- Asus USB/MIR rev 1.11; A USB 1.1 expansion PCB  

- Samsung DDR1 256MB PC2100 CL2.5 RAM

- Kingston ValueRam PC100 256MB CL3 3.3V RAM

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Speaking of degauss coils inside of monitors/TVs, It annoys me how they are switched on and off by heat on older monitors. When you turned them on cold, the degauss coils remained active until it heated up. So if your shadow mask is magnetized when its warm, you gotta turn it off and let it cool to get rid of the color distortion. Newer TVs and monitors have relays that switch it on and off. Much better idea. :P

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I don*t have a pic right now, but my mom uses pc that has core 2 duo, 4gb ddr2 ram and TWO geForce 140 (or something like that) in sli. It used to be a gaming beast... also I think I have those  old 268mb ram sticks lying somewhere...

I don*t have a pic right now, but my mom uses pc that has core 2 duo, 4gb ddr2 ram and TWO geForce 140 (or something like that) in sli. It used to be a gaming beast... also I think I have those  old 268mb ram sticks lying somewhere...

That PC is not retro, not even close.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Oh boy, I love my old computer hardware.

This is only a small taster. MORE in the attic, my 8086, ataris, FPGAs... and so on.

Oh BTW the keyboard you see there, is a buckling spring keyboard from my ICL DRS M40. It's got a freaking huge 10Mb Winchester drive.

I have all this from an old computer science lab in a university. Got about 20 or so machines with FPGAs and IBM PCs with Model Ms, Interface cards. All sorts.

qJ0pIdr.jpg

UZMa5JY.jpg

EO8ybYk.jpgoAqMRW8.jpg

usULnVV.jpg

fnry1vv.jpg

AuQhmTh.jpg

Comb it with a brick

Oh boy, I love my old computer hardware.

This is only a small taster. MORE in the attic, my 8086, ataris, FPGAs... and so on.

Oh BTW the keyboard you see there, is a buckling spring keyboard from my ICL DRS M40. It's got a freaking huge 10Mb Winchester drive.

I have all this from an old computer science lab in a university. Got about 20 or so machines with FPGAs and IBM PCs with Model Ms, Interface cards. All sorts.

qJ0pIdr.jpg

UZMa5JY.jpg

EO8ybYk.jpgoAqMRW8.jpg

usULnVV.jpg

fnry1vv.jpg

AuQhmTh.jpg

Yay! 486DX FTW.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have DX2s too!

You should show more.

Do you have anything older than 486 stuff? I'd love to see more of that too.

I have a Pentium 4 LGA 770 or 750 (I can never remember) and some DDR2 RAM along with an old budget GPU that I threw away. Didn't even have a brand name on it and was very VERY UGLY.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

You should show more.

Do you have anything older than 486 stuff? I'd love to see more of that too.

I will soon, It's all in the attic of the house I'm moving into.

I do have an 8086, there is a 286 in the M40 and I have various 386 models. I have some old clone chips too, like the Cyrix ones.

I do have some traditional home computers as well:

Atari 800xl

Atari 2600

Sinclair ZX Spectrum (and a few other Sinclair PCs)

And an Acorn BBC Micro.

These are all off the top of my head. Will take an inventory and photos of everything when I move. :)

Comb it with a brick

As promised earlier, here are some stuff that's in my college's networking and application development labs...]

c6c9373711.jpg

38a682b002.jpg

b5cfc3c6ed.jpg

e1aa6667b8.jpg

cf354ceb46.jpg

400d4b7971.jpg

P.S.

The HPs are early P4s, and the rest are P2 to P3 but upgraded to 1st gen single core Atoms...

Two old Pentium 4s.

My father told me when he bought these ten years ago, they were the best on the market.

post-87473-0-66176900-1407540575_thumb.j

This fan is from the mid to late-80's, I do believe. Moves a decent amount of air and is pretty quiet at 4.8 volts. At 12 volts it moves a ton of air and it's too unreasonably loud.

29du16b.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I got moar socket 7 goodness from a thrift store today. also there was a dipshit there carrying off all the cruddy P3/P4s. Probably for scrap. This halfway pisses me off, and halfway makes me happy. Just as long as he doesn't touch my Socket 7 and older hardware I'll be fine with him doing that shit >.>

JOtlwFC.jpg

9gGQ6UU.jpg

I'd love to give this board/CPU a go, but it doesn't have a case, and I'm not sure if I'd like to run an AT board outside of a case...

yes, grainy camera is grainy.