Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

No photo description available.

Built this PC in 2010. Been 10 years and has been upgraded along the way. My son is using it to play World of Warcraft, Over Watch, and many other games

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 

CPU: Intel Core i7-860

Memory: 16 Gig RAM

Video Card: GTX1070

Asked my son recently if he wants his computer upgraded or replaced. He said no need as it is still running fine.

18 minutes ago, Paolo Pandas said:

No photo description available.

Built this PC in 2010. Been 10 years and has been upgraded along the way. My son is using it to play World of Warcraft, Over Watch, and many other games

Asked my son recently if he wants his computer upgraded or replaced. He said no need as it is still running fine.

Are those VRM really that huge? They look like industrial grade. Nice!

2 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

Are those VRM really that huge? They look like industrial grade. Nice!

Should be. The main specs are here GA-P55-UD5 (rev. 1.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global.

UD stands for "Ultra Durable". I always get motherboards that are in the UD range. Slightly more expensive, but definitely worth it. 😁

My current setup is using the GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.2) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global.

3 minutes ago, Paolo Pandas said:

Should be. The main specs are here GA-P55-UD5 (rev. 1.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global.

UD stands for "Ultra Durable". I always get motherboards that are in the UD range. Slightly more expensive, but definitely worth it. 😁

My current setup is using the GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.2) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global.

I like the ultra durable stuff too, right on!

1 hour ago, Paolo Pandas said:

I have almost the same setup (Xeon X3470) in an old Koolance water cooled case, it'll do a solid 4Ghz without throttling but eats an amazing 300+W when running Prime95 at that speed. Thank goodness they used the Lotes sockets with the stronger pins. I think mine is the UD4 though, still a strong board!

I feel like anything with PCIe isn't really retro, old maybe now, but not retro for sure.

Just now, Bitter said:

I feel like anything with PCIe isn't really retro, old maybe now, but not retro for sure.

Agreed.

AGP = old.

PCI = old.

ISA = definitely old.

PCIe, even 1.0 = not old.

elephants

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Agreed.

AGP = old.

PCI = old.

ISA = definitely old.

PCIe, even 1.0 = not old.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this too, pretty much anything prior to PCIe is retro, but I'd argue that late pentium 4s could be considered retro too and those could come with PCIe.

Core/core 2 duo and quads I'd say are old, not quite retro yet but that's just me

1 minute ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Yeah, I mostly agree with this too, pretty much anything prior to PCIe is retro, but I'd argue that late pentium 4s could be considered retro too and those could come with PCIe.

Core/core 2 duo and quads I'd say are old, not quite retro yet but that's just me

Pentium 4s = old.

Pentium 4s + PCIe = old.

Anything else with PCIe = not old.

Core 2 Duos aren't old... yet.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Pentium 4s = old.

Pentium 4s + PCIe = old.

Anything else with PCIe = not old.

Core 2 Duos aren't old... yet.

Haha yup pretty much 😜

Read a few pages back your retro machine has a dying hard drive?

Haha yup pretty much 😜

Read a few pages back your retro machine has a dying hard drive?

Yes :(

I have a similar drive but it's being used

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Yes :(

I have a similar drive but it's being used

What do you need for a drive? I've got a decent stock. Depending where your located I could send one your way

Just now, BrianTheElectrician said:

What do you need for a drive? I've got a decent stock. Depending where your located I could send one your way

It's currently a 3.5GB.

As long as it is 3.5", IDE, takes Molex, and is compatible with an Asus P3V 4X, 500 MHz Pentium III, and Windows 2000, works for me.

elephants

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It's currently a 3.5GB.

As long as it is 3.5", IDE, takes Molex, and is compatible with an Asus P3V 4X, 500 MHz Pentium III, and Windows 2000, works for me.

Hmm if your board supports a p3 I don't think the 8gb limit would be an issue, anything over about 32gb might be though. I'll dig into it a bit and see what's supported... I've got ide drives from about 120mb up to 120gb lol

Hmm if your board supports a p3 I don't think the 8gb limit would be an issue, anything over about 32gb might be though. I'll dig into it a bit and see what's supported... I've got ide drives from about 120mb up to 120gb lol

Cool!
My stock of drives is currently 0.
The two that aren't in use are in IDE RAID (some weird LaCie controller board that I don't have the power supply for).

elephants

I've got a few IDE drives around here or there. Ever heard of Excelstor Jupiter drives? Me either until I tore down an old Pentium 3 HP system. Probably still has whatever was on the computer on it. Usually I physically destroy old hard drives I don't want anymore, but I think I've not trashed this one yet. I also have a 4GB Quantum Bigfoot TX, if you'll be giving it a good home you can have it. I can't guarantee it's 100% good however, I opened it to see what a hard drive was like inside once and closed it back up. It's worked since then. It's a single platter the size of a CD disc and it's terribly slow but it makes all the good hard drive sounds A LOT and has a nice long spinup. It does come on line on the USB-IDE interface and it does store and read data. 4GB is enough for almost any OS except XP and above I believe.

So speaking of old stuff, I finally got Machines (a dearly departed game) up and working. Someone had ported it to a more modern game engine, I found it, got it, and now the website is dead. Anyway, 1999, cool game, fully 3D RTS with first person controls of ANY unit available. Don't like how your units are path finding? Fucking hop into it and do it yourself! Game is a real gem, I'm glad someone ported it to run flawlessly on modern systems, I'm glad I found it again. I started finding the post with the original CD ISO's and tried to get it working from those, and it does launch and run on Windows 10 but it crashes easily. So I did a VM of XP, won't even run. So I tried a VM of Windows 98 and Windows 98 installer crashed on me so no go there. I hadn't messed with Windows 98 in so long, I had forgotten how crashy it was.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I've got a few IDE drives around here or there. Ever heard of Excelstor Jupiter drives? Me either until I tore down an old Pentium 3 HP system. Probably still has whatever was on the computer on it. Usually I physically destroy old hard drives I don't want anymore, but I think I've not trashed this one yet. I also have a 4GB Quantum Bigfoot TX, if you'll be giving it a good home you can have it. I can't guarantee it's 100% good however, I opened it to see what a hard drive was like inside once and closed it back up. It's worked since then. It's a single platter the size of a CD disc and it's terribly slow but it makes all the good hard drive sounds A LOT and has a nice long spinup. It does come on line on the USB-IDE interface and it does store and read data. 4GB is enough for almost any OS except XP and above I believe.

One of the 5.25" drives that goes in a front bay?

elephants

Yeah, it's a big boy of a drive. Like a CD-ROM drive but about 1/2 as thick and twice as heavy, you could use it to kill mice or store data.

YES! I found the page cached by Google. Monopolistic they may be but thank goodness for the cache!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GisXdA5vMIQJ:wiredforwar.org/topic/167/announcing-community-patch-1-5-godsend+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=ubuntu

Please, give the game a spin. It's a bunch of fun. The reapers with double plasma rifles are a ton of fun to run around with!

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

YES! I found the page cached by Google. Monopolistic they may be but thank goodness for the cache!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GisXdA5vMIQJ:wiredforwar.org/topic/167/announcing-community-patch-1-5-godsend+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=ubuntu

Please, give the game a spin. It's a bunch of fun. The reapers with double plasma rifles are a ton of fun to run around with!

Hmm I might have to take a look at this too, I'm sure I've got a machine or two that it would run well on haha.

I've got a bigfoot drive as well, pretty sure mine is scsi but I'd have to double check. It's for sure 9gb and full height though (takes up 2x 5.25 bays). It's massive and takes probably a good 10 to 15 seconds to spin up 😂

52 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Cool!
My stock of drives is currently 0.
The two that aren't in use are in IDE RAID (some weird LaCie controller board that I don't have the power supply for).

Oh, if your not worried about the data on the drives you should be able to wipe them and then just fdisk and format as you normally would.

Also, from what I've been reading your asus board should be fine with anything up to 128gb. Might need a bios update though, still looking.

12 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Hmm I might have to take a look at this too, I'm sure I've got a machine or two that it would run well on haha.

I've got a bigfoot drive as well, pretty sure mine is scsi but I'd have to double check. It's for sure 9gb and full height though (takes up 2x 5.25 bays). It's massive and takes probably a good 10 to 15 seconds to spin up 😂

Who can say no to these awesome late 90's 3D and music?

9 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Also, from what I've been reading your asus board should be fine with anything up to 128gb. Might need a bios update though, still looking.

How exactly do I update the BIOS?
I'm not sure how I would do that with this board.

It does have 2 USB ports, but I think a floppy would be more likely.

elephants