Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

23 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Oh boy lol I'm very very tempted by the athlon, especially if there's a matching motherboard

Basement corner was dark, pictures came out poorly. I'll try to get the exact number off it. Big passive heat sink on this one! Probably was some kind of OEM system. So like right up your alley! It was a working system for a few years as a file server when I lived at home in highschool running Ubuntu 6.06 if that dates it for you. 

20201021_193753.jpg

20201021_193744.jpg

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Basement corner was dark, pictures came out poorly. I'll try to get the exact number off it. Big passive heat sink on this one! Probably was some kind of OEM system. So like right up your alley! It was a working system for a few years as a file server when I lived at home in highschool running Ubuntu 6.06 if that dates it for you.

Woah that is a big heatsink 😳 she's a beaut though. Believe it or not I've never had a slot athlon, and it's been on my "never had it so I need it" list. Until recently the pentium pro was on there too lol.

According to the great all knowing Google, ubuntu 6.06 came out mid 2006, so if that's when you were in highschool were not so far apart in age. I graduated in 2008. It would have been an old system at that time even, the athlon 700 id guess came out in 1999 or there abouts.

It's definitely right up my alley 😂

9 hours ago, Schnoz said:

All of that looks really appealing, but I wish I knew how to set up a Pentium III system--I've never had any experience with Windows 98 or earlier.

4 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Woah that is a big heatsink 😳 she's a beaut though. Believe it or not I've never had a slot athlon, and it's been on my "never had it so I need it" list. Until recently the pentium pro was on there too lol.

According to the great all knowing Google, ubuntu 6.06 came out mid 2006, so if that's when you were in highschool were not so far apart in age. I graduated in 2008. It would have been an old system at that time even, the athlon 700 id guess came out in 1999 or there abouts.

Well you only have to pay for shipping, now's the time mate!

They're wonderful machines, and if anyone here is worried about Windows 98, well there's lovely channels out there like Philscomputerlab, and LGR that show it all being put together.

Don't bother looking for old IDE hard drives; I got IDE > SATA adapters, and you can get cheap as chip SSD, or HDD.
I got a Crucial 120GB SSD for £19 last week.

Or you can get IDE > CompactFlash or SD card as well. to use those.

Just remember Windows 98 can't handle more than 128GB drives, so partition them if yours is bigger.

Also it goes mental if you're over 512MB, often giving Zero Memory errors.

It's all great fun, and there's even a USB floppy emulator, so you can plug in a USB stick, and the system thinks it's a proper floppy drive.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Well to be fair and honest I've got a terrible sense of time. Was that two weeks, months, years, or decades? Heck if I know!

Should I see what box in my basement fits it and figure a shipping quote? I've got some $20 flat rate boxes, I'll look through what else I have. Interested in a single platter 4GB Quantum Bigfoot TX? Makes the good long whine spin up and then nice crunchy hard drive noises. A Floppy/card reader? I'll go through the rest of my older stuff real soon and PM you a list, whatever I can get to safely fit in the flat rate box you can have. Boards sometimes are a tough one since the box is a wee cramped. May need to do actual shipping with like retail post or something.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Well to be fair and honest I've got a terrible sense of time. Was that two weeks, months, years, or decades? Heck if I know!

Should I see what box in my basement fits it and figure a shipping quote? I've got some $20 flat rate boxes, I'll look through what else I have. Interested in a single platter 4GB Quantum Bigfoot TX? Makes the good long whine spin up and then nice crunchy hard drive noises. A Floppy/card reader? I'll go through the rest of my older stuff real soon and PM you a list, whatever I can get to safely fit in the flat rate box you can have. Boards sometimes are a tough one since the box is a wee cramped. May need to do actual shipping with like retail post or something.

Your twisting my rubber arm lol, I thought shipping would be a lot more than that but hey if it fits in the flat rate that would be magic. I'm down, and if it doesn't let me know what shipping is going to be. I'm presuming your in the US? If so I'll have to factor exchange in as well. Floppy drives and card readers are things that I'm definitely not short on, though the bigfoot sounds intriguing. I have a 9GB one and I know what you mean about the long spinup. No rush on anything though, and yeah free + shipping is too good to pass up haha.

Are there any parts that your interested in? I could return the favor as well...

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Well you only have to pay for shipping, now's the time mate!

They're wonderful machines, and if anyone here is worried about Windows 98, well there's lovely channels out there like Philscomputerlab, and LGR that show it all being put together.

Don't bother looking for old IDE hard drives; I got IDE > SATA adapters, and you can get cheap as chip SSD, or HDD.

Just remember Windows 98 can't handle more than 128GB drives, so partition them if yours is bigger.

It's all great fun, and there's even a USB floppy emulator, so you can plug in a USB stick, and the system thinks it's a proper floppy drive.

I already have a few stacks of old hard drives haha that I've collected over the years so thats not an issue. I did start playing with IDE to SD adapters though and so far I like them. The only downside is your don't get the "real" old pc experience of all the good hard drive noises. That's half of the nostalgia for me right there :P

For the ram limit, there's apparently a registry hack to allow use of more than 512MB on Windows 98 but I haven't tried it yet as I haven't really had a reason to. You  really don't need more than that for anything that will actually run on Win98 anyway. The floppy emulator your talking about is the Gotek right? I've seen Phil use them and have been intrigued, but it's just not the same for me as using good old floppies. Phils computer lab and LGR are great resources. 8-Bit guy too!

But yes, these old machines are great fun to mess with and tend to have a lot more character than the new stuff. Building them doesn't really get that much harder though until your getting down into Socket 7/Pentium 1 systems and older. Those you have to set everything manually with jumpers, even if some add in cards are plug and play. But then that's part of why I like them so much as they take more to build than just "plug these few things into each other and go".

20 minutes ago, Chino111 said:

Palit GT 210 64bit DDR3

ngl it looks like a gt 710

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Your twisting my rubber arm lol, I thought shipping would be a lot more than that but hey if it fits in the flat rate that would be magic. I'm down, and if it doesn't let me know what shipping is going to be. I'm presuming your in the US? If so I'll have to factor exchange in as well. Floppy drives and card readers are things that I'm definitely not short on, though the bigfoot sounds intriguing. I have a 9GB one and I know what you mean about the long spinup. No rush on anything though, and yeah free + shipping is too good to pass up haha.

Are there any parts that your interested in? I could return the favor as well...

I already have a few stacks of old hard drives haha that I've collected over the years so thats not an issue. I did start playing with IDE to SD adapters though and so far I like them. The only downside is your don't get the "real" old pc experience of all the good hard drive noises. That's half of the nostalgia for me right there :P

For the ram limit, there's apparently a registry hack to allow use of more than 512MB on Windows 98 but I haven't tried it yet as I haven't really had a reason to. You  really don't need more than that for anything that will actually run on Win98 anyway. The floppy emulator your talking about is the Gotek right? I've seen Phil use them and have been intrigued, but it's just not the same for me as using good old floppies. Phils computer lab and LGR are great resources. 8-Bit guy too!

But yes, these old machines are great fun to mess with and tend to have a lot more character than the new stuff. Building them doesn't really get that much harder though until your getting down into Socket 7/Pentium 1 systems and older. Those you have to set everything manually with jumpers, even if some add in cards are plug and play. But then that's part of why I like them so much as they take more to build than just "plug these few things into each other and go".

I use a real floppy drive myself.
Also yes the emulator is the Gotek, and you're right great channels.
I do love geeking out watching some of those, and knowing I got rare gems compared to them haha.
Unlike Clint from LGR I don't have 3 storage spaces converted to office/collection areas.

Socket A, 370, and 478 are likely the easiest for anyone to get into. The latter to far better actually, the Athlon Socket A's need a heavy 5V rail on a PSU, as they don't have a 4pinP/12V rail plug.

So if you go overboard with lets say an Athlon 3000+ on a KT333 chipset with a Voodoo 5500; some modern PSU's just trip, and shutdown because the avarage 5V rail is 15-17A, whereas back then they were 30-35Amps.

Just if folks wants to go Pentium 4, and use AGP cards with 3.3v, like the Voodoos, and ATI FURY MAXXs, you Have to use the SIS Chip set ones, as they're the only ones with Universal AGP.

All the Intel chipsets passed 815, and on socket 775 are AGP 1.5v, and different pinouts.

This site is a treasure for what Chipsets support what AGP config.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html#universal15vagp30motherboard

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Chino111 said:

LOL i agree.

1456423486_1234273.thumb.jpg.e6031941e81c7290f986691a8cf89324.jpg

these cards are bad and I had one in a system (i5 2400) and toke it out after a game refused to work

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

19 minutes ago, sub68 said:

1456423486_1234273.thumb.jpg.e6031941e81c7290f986691a8cf89324.jpg

these cards are bad and I had one in a system (i5 2400) and toke it out after a game refused to work

I must say these performed better than i expected. Good if you just want a back up.

My expectation: Can't play 720p videos

Reality:

Can't play

- x265 HEVC videos

-60FPS 1080p 10bit 

Can play:

Call of duty Modern warfare 3 1080p low settings Anti Aliasing 2x

- Not great. Its PLAYABLE LOL

2 minutes ago, Chino111 said:

I must say these performed better than i expected. Good if you just want a back up.

Reality:

Can't play

- x265 HEVC videos

-60FPS 1080p 10bit 

Can play:

yeah thats bad

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, Chino111 said:

Reality:

Can't play

- x265 HEVC videos

-60FPS 1080p 10bit 

Can play:

Dawid does Tech Stuff found that most intel graphics is about 2x as good as a gt710

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Dawid does Tech Stuff found that most intel graphics is about 2x as good as a gt710

but compared to igu from 2gen intels its better

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

but compared to igu from 2gen intels its better

thats true, but not by much.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thats true, but not by much.

yeah and its not good I had to remove it from that rig due to games not working

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

yeah and its not good I had to remove it from that rig due to games not working

The only reason I think someone would but it is like for a stand in, so the computrer works until you can get a gpu, like for people who are building now, but want a rx6000 or a rtx 3000 gpu. 

Or maybe for ryzen workstations.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Valentyn said:

I really can't be bothered getting an IDE>SATA adapter myself (older photo - I've got a lot more):
DSCF1368.thumb.JPG.6f1e2030ff4e0c94cb521e7094cd544b.JPG

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Looks nice! Do you happen to have a Deskstar 75GXP in there?

I do in the desktop my Uncle gave me. I have to remove the passwords on it though and recover files before I use it myself. He hasn't used the PC its in for over 15 years, due to:

• dead Geforce 2 MX400 (fan and GPU)
  • capacitor plague (the same board in Russia has the very same dead caps replaced)
  • 256MB RAM that read as being 128MB (Windows XP must have been fun)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 12/19/2013 at 4:26 PM, Lanoi said:

E4500? yum. Currently have DDR2 in my system, so I can't show it off. Don't have anything old because I'm 12.

EDIT -- 23-7-14 I do not run my system with DDR2 anymore. I still have a Core 2 Quad Q9500, a E7500, and a E5300.

What are you running now big boy?

I kind of regret getting rid of my parents first PC, a Pentium 1 100 Mhz.

My oldest PC I still have is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ based system that I built for college. (dating myself a bit I guess). It has an ATI Radeon X1800XT in it I think (Started with a Ati Radeon 9800Pro, but that broke). Probably 2 or 4 GB of ram, 7200 RPM hard drive (probably 120 or 160 GB).

Did some serious case modding on it back in the day, with CCFL tubes (no LED RGB back then LOL)

Still runs, but has a problem with the PSU I think, sometimes it wont boot. I will post a pic when I can.

I guess I might as well "pipe up" here.

Tandy 1000 with a 286 turbo board.  Still works great.

Compaq Deskpro 386/20.  Still works.

Athlon 2500 (3200 OC), water cooled custom rig using Swifttech pump and rad and reservoir

HP Vectra case with AMD K6-2 500 guts.

Abit BP6 DUAL Celeron 400

Lots of 486 up to current spec machines too numerous to mention.

Here's a pic of the Tandy.

tandy1000 at 35 years old.png

I got some old computers from my grandparents.

One of them has an NEC MultiSpin 3Xi CDR-500.

It has the separate tray that you open and put the disc in.

Plus it uses 50-pin SCSI and it's only a CD-ROM/CD-DA drive.

Bonus: It has a full loadout of CD player abilities, like a tiny LCD screen, more than an eject button, and being really, really long!

It also might still work! It plays audio discs.

Not sure about the SCSI interface.

elephants