Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Does it count if it's a 8 year old TV that I still use, despite being broken to hell?
Haha. Seriously though. I also have an HD 6950 from 10 years ago.. Took Quite a beating! It's been 'Repaired' about 12 times as you can probably tell..

photo_2020-04-15_23-02-51.jpg

photo_2020-04-15_23-02-55.jpg

On 4/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, Marky_Mark said:

What did you use this computer for? Gaming? 

I was using it for gaming study and other things xD 

Here is a couple photos of my Creative Labs 3D BLASTER. :)

The card is 25 years old this year however is still in Great condition 😮

Here is a picture of the box,

1358170924_3dblaster.thumb.jpg.45115ef8baa62a9a3b1644fa98d8b072.jpg

and here is a picture of the card itself out of the box. :D

93105096_3dblasteroutofbox.jpg.86f0b48e03f0e212845d346b9a978f38.jpg

I hope that I was able to help 🙂

Somewhere in storage at a previous residence is my original 286 system from 1987.  A Tandy 1000TX.  286 8mhz processor, only an 8 bit expansion bus.  I pimped it out with an (at the time) spectacularly awesome Ad-Lib sound card, a 40mb "Hard Card" (the motherboard had no IDE controller, so it was an 8 bit expansion card with a mount to hold a 3 1/2" 40mb IDE drive), a 2400 baud modem, and an extra 128k of RAM used for the video adapter.  My old room mate and I are no longer on speaking terms, or I would go over and try to retrieve it.  Man, there were some great games back then!  The original Sid Meier Microprose games like Pirates or M1 Tank Platoon, any of the Lucasarts sims games like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe or Battle of Britain.  Man, memory lane!

I compelty forgot what CPU i have in this system i built in 2006, but i am sure its got 2x 10GB drives, and a silen x fan on the back.

Think its an MX200 AGP

myrig2006_2.jpg

On 12/20/2013 at 8:26 AM, Lanoi said:

E4500? yum. Currently have DDR2 in my system, so I can't show it off. Don't have anything old because I'm 12.

EDIT -- 23-7-14 I do not run my system with DDR2 anymore. I still have a Core 2 Quad Q9500, a E7500, and a E5300.

Dude.. I'm 13 and have an i5 750 with an Nvidia GTS 250 and all the other bells and whistles (found on a throw out pile recently)... powers on but no ddr3 ram. Tried to run it but no post... I think it is to do with the cpu socket and the fact that it has no RAM.

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

No RAM - No POST.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

no the oldest but its getting old

its the AMD A8 5500

20200423_100132_(1).jpg

10 hours ago, tomriderx said:

Dude.. I'm 13 and have an i5 750 with an Nvidia GTS 250 and all the other bells and whistles (found on a throw out pile recently)... powers on but no ddr3 ram. Tried to run it but no post... I think it is to do with the cpu socket and the fact that it has no RAM.

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

If it wasn't for Covid and your very young age I'd check my stockpile to see if I had a spare stick or two laying around. I know eBay always has some for cheap. If you can find 4 GB DDR3 1600 you can easily OC that CPU and learn some about overclocking and computers without harming expensive hardware.

Seriously, ask a parent or older sibling nicely to get you some from eBay. If you'd like I can search for some good auctions and message you links.

Actually, what motherboard are you using? Might not allow for OC? BTW, the i5 750 was a good CPU for OC back in the day, they could run 3.6ghz and sometimes 4ghz on air cooling!

A couple of days ago I've played MW on my 10 year old i7-970 @4GHz (used to run at 4.2, but now being slightly nicer with the old fart :P) I leave at a friend's... Running great at 50% usage, it's a bit of a furnace that gives quite a bit of work to the NH-D14 though :)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

If it wasn't for Covid and your very young age I'd check my stockpile to see if I had a spare stick or two laying around. I know eBay always has some for cheap. If you can find 4 GB DDR3 1600 you can easily OC that CPU and learn some about overclocking and computers without harming expensive hardware.

Seriously, ask a parent or older sibling nicely to get you some from eBay. If you'd like I can search for some good auctions and message you links.

Actually, what motherboard are you using? Might not allow for OC? BTW, the i5 750 was a good CPU for OC back in the day, they could run 3.6ghz and sometimes 4ghz on air cooling!

I would try it but i think there are two bent pins in the cpu socket, so i don't really want to spend any money on it if it won't work... (i think that might be the reason it was thrown out...)

2 hours ago, tomriderx said:

I would try it but i think there are two bent pins in the cpu socket, so i don't really want to spend any money on it if it won't work... (i think that might be the reason it was thrown out...)

Well if you've got some memory from another PC you could borrow...You can also find a literal map of the socket and see if those are important pins or not. If they're not important then it very well may still work! If they're not terribly bent you can watch some videos and maybe get them worked back into working.

I have a Sinclair Spectrum, it was my mom's computer, it is in great condition, but its a model built for use in israel, and I live in the us, so power frequencies wouldn't make it work, also I don't a display that'll work with it. But it looks cool

On 4/27/2020 at 1:00 AM, tnings said:

I have a Sinclair Spectrum, it was my mom's computer, it is in great condition, but its a model built for use in israel, and I live in the us, so power frequencies wouldn't make it work, also I don't a display that'll work with it. But it looks cool

If you can find a power supply suitable, then you could do a composite mod. It's very simple and converts it from rf display to composite. Then get a cheap composite to hdmi adapter. 

On 3/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, Gegger said:

I have a Dell Dimension E521 just lying around. That AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor has a higher clock speed and the same amount of cores as my ASUS Chromebox CN-60 (from 2014). And the Dimension has more RAM though it's DDR2...XD 320GB HDD. I'm surprised it has a 7200rpm top speed.

Hi Gegger.. would it be worth it to spend $70 roughly to get an SSD to upgrade my Dell e521? It has an older nvidia card in it, and 3 gb ram. It is already upgraded to Windows 10, but lately it has been running very slow. One of my friends told me that an SSD would bring new life out of it. The PC is used for email, office stuff, and social media basically. I used to game some on it. Mainly WOW years ago and a little Warface before I got a used Alienware.

3 hours ago, Guitarbilly said:

Hi Gegger.. would it be worth it to spend $70 roughly to get an SSD to upgrade my Dell e521? It has an older nvidia card in it, and 3 gb ram. It is already upgraded to Windows 10, but lately it has been running very slow. One of my friends told me that an SSD would bring new life out of it. The PC is used for email, office stuff, and social media basically. I used to game some on it. Mainly WOW years ago and a little Warface before I got a used Alienware.

As someone who as stuffed SSD's into almost every system possible around me, it's never a downgrade in performance. It however can be less of an upgrade in some systems. For an older more limited system pretty much get the cheaper budget SSD's from someone like Adata or Silicon Power, as long as it can do SLC cache it doesn't matter much if it's got s DRAM cache or not for older PC's.

Found a hard drive last year at work that's six months older than my younger brother

spacer.png

GW2: Vettexl.9726

This thread makes me feel old when people are posting that Haswell stuff is 'old'. A 1996 hard drive is kind of old tho, yeah, but it's not like a 5.25 floppy old or a dot matrix printer old. I remember my dad converting his dissertation on a several 5.25 floppies to a single 3.5 floppy, I remember the dip switch device needed to make the dot matrix printer Apple compatible.

I’ve got some pentium lll around here somewhere and like 3 old dell dimensions running win XP these were all from my dad <removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Redacted Information

Here's a good ol' Intel i486DX2 that was taken out of an old Gateway 2000 computer tower:

20200502_141242.thumb.jpg.b57a2f8f4e18bcf004184a1681a926ce.jpg

Granted, since there's the heatsink on the other side, you can't see the old Intel printing on the case, but that doesn't particularly matter.

My dad salvaged the 5¼ inch and 3½ inch floppy drives that were in the system as well, but I didn't take a picture of that.

I also have a Pentium III from 2000, but I don't have a picture of it, since I've never taken apart the Toshiba laptop that it's in.

I have a brand new Gainward GTX 470 which I bought it from a charity shop (Thrift store) for £10 afew years ago. It was in the original box with all the original accessories and the antistatic bag was still taped shut. I used the box and bag to protect a GTX 680 I was selling on eBay and the GTX 470 has been sat in a draw ever since.

_SAM6303.JPG

_SAM6304.JPG